“It has to be wow.” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Bar scene, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Boul. du Casino
Description: Houston Avenue Bar And Grill is proud to welcome you into our world. We invite you to join us on a culinary adventure that is out of the ordinary. We offer a unique environment that has something for everyone...... You will discover a refined kitchen serving the freshest ingredients available. Our team is looking forward to your visit.
Ottawa ON Canada
“It has to be wow.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Went with my wife for our anniversary treat. Definitely recommend you make reservations as there was a crowd waiting at 6:30. We were seated right away. It was crowded at a smallish table with semi comfortable chairs. Neighbours were a little close. Clean - flashy looking ambiance. Above average. Waiter was a young fella named JP, about 25, clean cut and spoke perfect English and French. He turned out to be very knowledgeable about the food there and how it was prepared and served. We were impressed with this young waiter and would ask for him again next time we go there. We had salads for entrees and both were very good. I asked for a garden type of salad as per the menu, but got mostly spinach leaves and carrot slices....ok. My wife had a Cesar salad, and apparently it was very fresh and tasty. Both of us had the filet mignon with the bone on, and we both loved it. Found it a bit pinky near the bone, like kind of raw, gotta expect that, but other wise ten out of ten - flavour -tenderness ,,yummy. Even the veggies were good, and I am not a veggie person. Ok, we splurged on fries, I always have salt, vinegar and ketchup. None were on the table, and the waiter was no where to be found at that moment, so I tried the fries as is. No dressing required. I have never had such good fries in my life. Even when the waiter came back I didn't ask for anything for the fries. Had a piece of chocolate cake for desert and again highly recommend it. Light and flavourful, not too sweet. Coffee superb. Gran Marnier - got orange brandy. I do know the difference - I have it all the time. Criticisms - nearly none - except for it taking over an hour to get the food served after ordering and don't serve me Orange brandy when I ask for GM. Otherwise excellent, and would recommend it to anyone. For the people that say that the music is too loud - get a life. You are in a family style restaurant - it is going to be loud. We were there for about three hours and could hear each other just fine. They need to install washrooms on the main floor. In our case, my wife is slightly handicapped and going up and down 20 stairs is a big deal. I am nearly 60 years old and as far as the other reviews about the waitresses attire goes - they are dressed, ever been to the Caribbean? Come on. This is the 21st century. Go back to this restaurant? - in a flash. It rates a big WOW - among the best we have ever had, if not the best and that is saying something.
Sue and Bruce

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

67% Recommend
Gatineau, Canada
“Great food, lounge music and superb service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Just tried this new restaurant on Monclair St, Gatineau. Wow a nice evening. Thought we where at Me Cancun, hihihi. Lounge decor, very nicely done. We had friends that took ribs,others cod and steak, all excellent. For myself, I had an entree of Tataki tuna followed by a superb Niçoise salad served with salmon intead of tuna, very well set! The restaurant as a in-house DJ, music is great. I would not recommendthis resto for those who are seeking a "candle light" Dinner. But for those who want to have great food and hear good lounge music while in Gatineau, this is the place!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
gatineau
“not bad !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

girls are pretty but also helpful and quick.
good food but a bit too expensive for what it is.
pretty loud place if you're looking for romantic dinner.
service a tad slow but we were many at our table.
i would return once maybe twice a year.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Waterdown, Canada
“Family Get-Together”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Look & Ambiance:
Very nice restaurant! Excellent decor! Tables and chairs are comfortable and well disposed. Ambiance is somewhat sophosticated and attempts to be a cross between a high-end sports bar and Baton Rouge. The music organized by a DJ, who was oddly enough located at the front door entrance proved to interesting, well-balanced, but sometimes load. The bar area is well designed and offers 'Molson' group beer and a wide variety of brands for alcohol. An outdoor seating area is available.
Food:
Our group ate ribs, nachos, salmon, and two mixed grill platter. Overall, the food was adequate, but, there are areas of improvement in the food preparation area. Ribs were good tasting, tender, moist with anice sauce! Natchos ($16) were, generally, good, but, one patron complained that some were too moist. The salmon BBQ ($24) was correctly done - moist and tasty, however, the portion seemed small.The mixed grill ($20) had a good combination of the ribs (half rack), chicken & beef brochettes served with a sausage and a good coleslaw. Brochets were done to perfection! Generally good, however, the sausage was tasteless. A dish - on the 10 - 10 menu - Chicken Potpie($10) was not very ggod! It lacked substance and quality. It had only two very small pieces of chicken and the sauce or liquid was more like a soup versus a sauce. We would not order this dish again.
Service:
Our server, Jean Phillippe, did a good job meeting our needs and listening to our concerns. Initially, he quickly corrected a kitchen error on an appetizer order and replaced the dish.
Overall:
Generally, we had a good meal in a nice restaurant with good service. The restaurant has been open for business for approximately 3 months. It still needs to correct some issues in their kitchen. Overall, not including drinks, taxes or tip, we found dishes somewhat pricey.
Caveat... we will return in 2 - 3 months and, hopefully, management will have corrected some of the areas we identified.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Gatineau, Canada
“Not what I was expecting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I went to to try this new restaurant this week, now that it's been opened almost two months. At first I was impressed, the decor looked amazing compared to what it used to be. But it all went downhill from there. We were told half an hour wait, we waited one hour. Why not say one hour in the first place? Double the time is a bit ridiculous. Then they finally sat us at a table where, at first, I thought they were making us share with other customers before I realized the seperation between tables is completely seethrough! When I sit in a booth, I expect a bit of privacy, that was just weird, not the smartest design. Then I take a look at the wine list, because I always take a glass of 9 ounces of the house wine (because I like wine but I have a budget, so I always pick the cheapest.) Turns out the cheapest they have is Jacob Creak Reserve, 12$ for 6 ounces, 18$ for 9! I happen to love that wine, the bottle is 20$ at SAQ! What's their excuse? I ordered the Houston burger, which tasted great, but I've had way better meals for much cheaper. The music is more than loud, you have to scream to be heard, it's fit for a dance club, not a restaurant.

But the worst thing about this place is, and you've guessed it if you've read other comments, the dresses. If you can call them dresses. I've been calling this place the peep show restaurant because of it, because you are paying to peep, not to eat. I swear to God they bought these dresses in a sex shop, no doubt, all they cover is their nipples. I've been to places where the waitresses dress sexy, and whatever, it's their shtick. But this, it's not even sexy anymore, all they need is a pole! It's completely innappropriate! When will people learn you can be sexy and feminine but still have class? Even at Hooters they are more covered than that!

• Visited March 2013