“Has spiders in balcony for $120 a night. Not a 4 stars for sure.” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Gatineau
Milpitas, California
“Has spiders in balcony for $120 a night. Not a 4 stars for sure.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

We have stayed in multiple places for our 10 days trip to Toronto, Montreal, Quebec and Ottawa. All cost about $120 per night and they all fabulous except this BW Cartier.

First off it's river view is nice and as expected, the take is the balcony sucks and there are two spiders about the size of a quarter hanging from the ceiling. That scared mr to run right back into the room and shut the door. Btw the balcony double door also sucks, one stuck and one need extra force to shut tight. The balcony is totally outdated as well.

Inside the room, this is also spider web hanging in one corner.  Other part of the room is ok clean. Can't tell if the carpet us clean since it's in dark blue. Due to the spider and web, can't give me a warm feeling it is clean. The A/C was not plugged in when we entered the room.  Also its filter was lying on the floor and it is dirty. Didn't bother to fix it or call the attendance for that since don't want to cause the dust to fly everywhere.  Bathroom partially upgraded, e.g. Shower curtain, counter.

Front parking is tight and there is a ramp in the side I bet you can't make it through because it is so steep. Only if you are driving a car with high clearance like suv. Cost for parking Is $8 per night. With the way parking it should be no charge.

Overall, it is max a 1 star with the cost per night and spider or a 2.5 star if cost $60 per night. Definitely need renovation. Don't understand how other folks give 5 stars here and say loving it.

• Stayed September 2010
Lives2Travel20, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, October 19, 2010

I thank you for your review, I can empathize with your feelings on this subject very well, and can only apologize for the unpleasant situation you experienced. Offering value and providing clean and comfortable accommodations to our guest comfort are our greatest priorities. We sincerely value the comments of all our travelers; in fact based on your comment several changes are immediately forthcoming to improve the hotel and it’s services.

Martin Fogarty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Thunder Bay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

We stayed at the Cartier for part business part leisure. We checked in, and while asking the front desk about the open top bus tour- they seemed really unsure as to what the details were (even though there was a large sign displaying that you could buy tickets at the front desk). Housekeeping clearly didn't care much, as there were dishes in the hallway for 3 of the 4 nights that we stayed there- they often had their carts parked right beside these dishes, but never bothered picking them up. One of the servers in the restaurant added their own tip on our bill (which we weren't aware of until we checked out). I called front desk 3 times one night for an extra blanket, and never received it. There was a huge music/festival thing going on across from the hotel in the park. When I called front desk about the EXTREMELY loud music, they offered no help and no information, all they said was "there is nothing we can do, it's not coming from the hotel." Understandable, however; it would have made me change my mind about their customer service level if THEY had found out some information as to what it was and when it would be ending, instead of making us walk down there to figure out when we could actually get some sleep.

The pool: hours are laughable, and quite awkward. I went down to the pool solo one evening and found it uncomfortable how the pool attendant just sits on one of the poolside guest chairs, staring at you, doing nothing else, while you do laps. It's a VERY small room. You will see what I mean if you go for a solo swim in the quiet pool area.

The room was decent. I don't expect much really. Everything worked, which was good. The cleanliness of the room is not immaculate. The t.v. remote was disgusting (but I prepare myself and bring plastic baggies when hotels don't have the new clean/sanitary remotes). The corners of the bathroom and vents were filthy, and the hair dryer made me gag when I had to use it.

If you're not into frills and thrills, this hotel will do. It's located near the foot of the bridge that brings you right into the markets in Ottawa. Nice walk along that bridge... Lot's of places to eat on the other side. Good thing too, because THEIR restaurant has maybe 5 dinner options (I ordered from the children's menu one of the evenings).

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

This hotel is run down and in a run down area. The only saving grace is it is near the Museum of Civilazation, and you can walk across the bridge to Parliament Hills.

I read back comments for the last several years, and inspite of all those recent management comments of improving, and several recent "fake" comments from "friends" of the hotel, this hotel is still the same old crap, I feel. This hotel seriously need total make-over. The lobby is run down, the swimming pool looks very dirty. There is only one computer in the lobby and often occupied. Although there is supposed to be wifi in the room, I had to get a password from the front desk and the speed was way slow. The carpet in the room looks dirty, my bed has a deep depression in the middle and my back started hurt after two nights. The parking on-site was limited, and the parking lot on the next block was gravel and dark. The area around the hotel did not seem safe enough for me to walk around at night at all.

Ottawa is a nice city and I will visit again, and I will probably stay at other hotels next time.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

We have had to stay in this area several times in the past 6 months and have tried many hotels. The search for a place we'd like to stay again is over! We loved this hotel, the location, the room was clean and the breakfast is awesome! Best value by far compared to the other hotels we've stayed in. We'll be back for sure!‎

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to post a review on our hotel. It is comments such as yours that motivate us to continually improve upon our products and services. It was most gratifying to learn that our continual investments into training as well as the strong emphasis put on overall hotel and in-room cleanliness have not gone un-noticed. Once again Thank you for choosing the Best Western Cartier hotel, we sincerely look forward to your next stay with us when your travels bring you back to the national capital region.

New York State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

After seeing a lot of negative reviews on this hotel, I nearly passed it up. But since I have had more good luck than bad with Best Western, I decided to give it a chance.

The hotel is situated in a great location. The weather was pleasant, so we walked across the bridge to the downtown area. It was about a 15 minute walk to get to the Byward Market area.

The room was clean and the bathroom was especially spotless. While the room is on the small side, we were on the go all day and only used it for sleeping, so there was absolutely no problem.

The staff was helpful and friendly. The neighborhood was decent. I didn't use the pool so I can't comment. There was a breakfast available for about 10.00, but I didn't participate. The room cost was about 130.00 cd taxes and parking included (parking was 7.00).

Overall, I'm glad we gave this hotel a chancel, and when we visit again in the near future, we will stay here again.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Lives2Travel20, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, August 12, 2010
Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to post a review on our hotel, as well as giving our hotel a chance. It is comments such as yours that motivate us to continually improve upon our products and services. It was most gratifying to learn that our continual investments into training as well as the strong emphasis put on overall hotel and in-room cleanliness have not gone un-noticed. Once again Thank you for choosing the Best Western Cartier hotel, we sincerely look forward to your next stay with us when your travels bring you back to the national capital region.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

This hotel lacks space. Has small beds, phones out of order, very small rooms (15'by8), fake headboards for the beds, heater emits a questionably toxic burning plastic set, hair on the beds (unclean), tap water is brown and resembles sewage, Velcro sheets/curtains, air conditioning doesn't work correctly, horrible Internet connection.

• Stayed July 2010
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

We stayed at the Best Western Cartier for one night on the May long weekend. Everyone at the front desk was very friendly and courteous. The hotel does not have enough parking, which we found frustrating (as we had to park at an off-site lot), but the rooms are clean and sufficient. We paid a bit extra for the room for a "river view". Unfortunately we were given a room on the second floor, so we weren't really able to see the river. We did have a nice view of the Ottawa skyline though, so we didn't bother complaining. The bridge to Ottawa over the Rideau is right across the road from the hotel, which is convenient. The bridge is quite long, so it's a bit of a hike to get over to the restaurants and stuff. But in nice weather, it's a beautiful walk.

Additionally: there are a lot of crazy people that hang around in this area. They do kind of yell and make a scene, and a few individuals did try to stop us (and our two very small children) for a chat. We did find though that the police maintain a fairly regular presence, so it wasn't really that bad.

I would recommend this hotel, but I think next time we'll try to book something in Ottawa.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

I thank you for your review, I can empathize with your feelings on this subject very well, and can only apologize for the unpleasant situation you experienced. Hotel guest safety and security is our greatest priority and we have already made several changes. Several additional changes are forthcoming to improve the hotel and be assured that comments such as yours are invaluable to us. I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations, should your travels brings you back to the National Capital region, We would be pleased to assist you in any way possible.

Martin Fogarty

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Gatineau-Ottawa? Share your experiences!