“Does the Job for Government Visitors” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa

You added Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Montcalm Street, Gatineau, Quebec J8X 4B4, Canada (Formerly Holiday Inn Plaza la Chaudiere)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Gatineau
Toronto
“Does the Job for Government Visitors”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

The Crowne Plaza Gatineau is best used by people having meetings in the government office complex down the street.

The hotel is competent and professional, but its not warm and cozy. On the two nights mid-week that I was there it was empty/quiet the first night, but full the second night with people attending a big training session at the government buildings.

Rooms big and modern looking and clean. My biggest gripe was ventilation: the windows dont open and the temperature controls didnt truely work - they only turn the fans on or off without changing the temperature. Also I felt there was no air exchange at all in the bathroom (usually steam from the shower will get sucked out of a vent in the bathroom, but no air was moving there at all so the whole suite got steamy and hotter than i prefer).

Breakfast was $14 for a buffet that was modest, not better than say a free Holiday Inn Express. But it does the job.

The location is super lonely and isolated if you are not attending a meeting at the government complex down the street. Its an easy drive or taxi across the bridge into Ottawa, but the hotel parking appears to be small and outdoor. Certainly there is nothing you can walk too near the hotel at night. Some streets nearby are beat up.

Because this hotel caters to government visitors beware of the rack rate. The regular price of the hotel if there is a meeting going on is too high for what you get. But on the other hand if you use some discounting websites to book a room you can probably get a good deal. Priceline got me my room for about half the rack rate, so it was a fair price for the room.

Its a good competent small business hotel in a boring location. I would stay again for the right price if I had meetings nearby.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Nathalie T, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Good day,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. It is delightful to know that our location suited your meeting needs. I am sorry though for the issues you encountered with the ventilation in your room. Our downtown location offers a great deal of restaurants and pubs at walking distance and, as you mentioned, an easy drive to Ottawa. The underground parking at the hotel caters to our guests coming by car. Our front desk employees are happy to inform our guests and give them directions on where they want to go. We appreciate your feedback and your business and hope we get the chance to host you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Mississauga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Parking is a pain in the neck and expensive- $16/day. Very small underground parking garage. There is no concierge to help with luggage and very few luggage carts. There was never one available when I needed it! So, I carried heavy suitcases, cooler etc. up the stairs myself. Why a cooler? There was an extra fee for a small fridge in the room and I had medication that needed to be refrigerated. The room itself was tried and the bathtub was brown. Not from dirt but the porcelain was brown in colour! Weird! The ice bucket, coffee maker and glasses in the room were dirty. I tried making coffee one morning and the coffee maker didn't work. I also tried blow drying my hair and the hair dryer kept shorting out as if it was getting too hot. The restaurant was a joke! As a vegetarian, I noticed there was nothing on the menu for me. I asked the waiter if there was something else available that was vegetarian. He said "No problem, I will ask the chef". Then he came back to and said "The chef wants to know what you want!". Too expensive at approximately $200/night for this poor quality.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Nathalie T, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We are sorry that the facilities didn’t meet with your expectations and disappointed that the offer from the restaurant staff to accommodate you seems to have been misunderstood. Your comments will help us improve our offer to you and future guests.

Kind regards, Nathalie, Director of Sales
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

We travel to Ottawa for the weekend with our then 4 months old. The staff was very nice and helpful to provide for a crob and all the necessities for our baby. The bedroom was comfortable, clean and had a nice water view. Breakfast buffet had lots of different choices. Will definatly go back there for our next trip. I highly recommend this hotel and it is worth the price!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floor for a better view!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
South Pasadena, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I and my wife spent one night in this property on our way from Montreal to Toronto in 1st week April 2014. It was a advance reservation.

Location was calm, bit away from the city, nothing much to do around, few eateries nearby unless you walk about 15 mints either directions.

Room was big, clean no fridge or micro. No complementary B/F; self-parking was at underground at $ 16 per day.

We had a exceptionally noisy night due to a party in the room opposite of ours.

According to my personal taste this property could not encourage me returning if we happen to be around again.

But in average our stay was just ok..

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Nathalie T, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear SriLanka2010,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. I regret to read that you did not enjoy your time at the hotel and our city. We strive to achieve guest satisfaction, I trust the services you received from our staff was satisfactory . Thank you again for your comments.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Very clean, nice rooms, well-maintained. Saw lots of kids tho coming from pool area. Well located, close to a neat strip of bars with a pretty lively night life. Walking distance to Canadian Museum of Civilization and just over the bridge from Ottawa. Friday night stay was significantly cheaper then Sat. or we would have stayed two nights. Recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Nathalie T, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property after your stay. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your visit to our region and hotel and we hope to have the pleasure of greeting you on your next visit to city.

Kind regards,
Dartmouth, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights in March.
The room was worn and I almost freaked out when I saw my tub.
Around 100 little things that looked like bugs. However, they weren't bugs just many chips in the tub, thank God. It should be replaced. With that said, there were no issues with the cleanliness of the room.
I was locked out of my room about 5 times in two days. The last time I stood in the hallway for 45 minutes while the staff tried key after key. Other people had the same problem. Very inconvenient for the guests.
The other thing that made no sense, is there is a dining room but no menu in the room. In fact, there is nothing in the room to tell you anything about the hotel.
There is also a problem getting taxis to this location for whatever reason.
I will stay here again as the location is good but I hope improvements are made.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Nathalie T, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property after your recent stay. I am sorry to read the issues you encountered during your visit and I would like to address them. Our property went through intensive renovations which ended in October 2012 and 24 of the bath tubs are an issue. We had them painted but the result was not what we hoped. Unfortunately we are unable to correct the trouble until we have resolution with the supplier who did the work. The room key difficulties should be resolved very shortly as we installing a proximity system. We have 4 Green Keys due to our efforts to limit our impact on the environment and believed that clutter in the room was a guest dissatisfier. You are not the first person to voice your desire to have printed materials instead of the TV driving menus which can be a bit of learning curve and we are considering a return to the traditional in-room collateral presentation. I am very excited to read that you will visit us in the future and would like to know more about your business needs while travelling to our city.

Kind regards,
Saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed here recently for five nights. Front desk staff were good. Entrance to the hotel inside is quite attractive. Room was nice. 2 double beds, nice bedding, great bathroom with rain shower head in bathtub/shower. Wardrobe with in room safe. Big room with nice view of river and Ottawa. Very clean. One problem related to room keys, which seemed to lose their coding quite regularly which meant yet another trip down to the front desk for more room keys. Had to do this at least five times during the stay. Staff told us they are trying to fix the room key problem. Other problem was the restaurant. Food was acceptable but they seemed to be constantly short of staff and service could be quite slow. And once waited for about 20 minutes for a staff member to show up in the bar to get a drink and no one every appeared. There are several good restaurants/pubs within walking distance. If you are planning on touring around Ottawa and Hull, it seemed like a good place to stay, with the problems I noted.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Nathalie T, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Good morning,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. It is delightful to know that you like our rooms and hotel accommodations. I am sorry though for the issues you encountered with the room key and the restaurant. I confirm that we are working towards a solution to the room keys in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction. I will also address the restaurant issues you experienced with the restaurant operator for their follow-up. We appreciate your feedback and your business and hope we get the chance to host you again soon. kind regards, Nathalie

Been to Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa? Share your experiences!