“A Frustrating Stay” 3 of 5 stars

2401 Saskatchewan Avenue West, Portage la Prairie, Manitoba R1N 3L5, Canada   |
Winnipeg, Canada
“A Frustrating Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I travel for work and stay in hotels a few times a year without incident. When I arrived at the CIPLP I was told I could not stay unless I produced the credit card used to book the room. I explained that it was the administrative assistant who made the reservation and that I don't have the card with me. I'm told it is policy. Okay, a first for me, but I understand. I'm told my room is up the stairs, first door on the left. It is not. It is at the polar opposite end of the building. Ok, a little exercise never hurt anyone who does not have a congenital cardiac anomoly.

I get into the room and decide that I'm too tired to go out for dinner at 8:30pm so I'll order pizza. Again, I've done this previously without incident so I hope for the best. 30 minutes later the phone rings and it is the front desk. "Hi, your pizza is here and you have to come downstairs to get it". I tell her that the whole reason for ordering food is so you don't have to put on clothes. I'm told it is policy so I go to the polar opposite end of the building and then downstairs.

In the morning I turn on the coffee maker but it doesn't work because it is not plugged in. There is no available outlet for the coffeemaker so I have to search the room for an outlet. Again, not the end of the world, but a little more frustrating than is necessary.

An average room but a frustrating stay.

Room Tip: Good luck!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Trent W, General Manager at Canad Inns Portage la Prairie, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Hello ironicnurse. Thank you for writing about your stay with us. I see a few things made your stay a little fustrating. I can totally understand your thoughts on this. The reason we do not allow outside deliveries to the rooms is for security reasons. I have shown your review with the management team here and we he have gone through what we could of done better to make your stay less fustrating. We strive to make your stay the best, but we have came up short for you and for that i appoligize.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

the front desk ladies who checked us in are very nice and friendly. the house keeping man is accomodating and helpful. this hotel is super clean especially the pool area and the lobby it's unique u can feel the country style yet with ellegant touch! the only problem is the front desk lady who checked us out and the server in aaltos restaurant when we came down for breakfast snobby service and unfriendly!

• Stayed July 2012
Trent W, General Manager at Canad Inns Portage la Prairie, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Hello Aelpat

Thank you for your comments on your stay. It is nice to hear about the good things about your stay along with any issues. I have shared your words with the management team here and with our staff. Thank you again for taking the time. Trent Ward
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We arrived with my family late at night and walked in on the rudest woman ever placed at a front desk with short remarks and a bad attitude with tattoos down her arm and we felt like we were entering a 2 star hotel. It took forever to get our 2 rooms which we nearly had to cover a $800 deposit before we could get our keys then we talked to the manager and that pissed off the clerk who then decided to storm off on her break, then the manager had to get our keys for the room but was not familiar with how to do that and by the time we got our keys she returned from break only to be little the manager . The rooms were dirty and the toilets didn't work, in short this hotel sucked and we would never return

• Stayed July 2012
, General Manager at Canad Inns Portage la Prairie, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Hello Andre3333

Thank you for your input on your stay with us. I am sorry and appoligize for your stay not going as planned. I relize that checking into a hotel late at night , you wanted to get to your rooms as quick as possible. We have reviewed your comments at the hotel and have discussed what we could of done better and made some recommendations at the front desk to help guests in the future. Once again thank you for your input. Trent
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I read the negative comments about the cigarette smell on this hotel, and was pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel has gone to 100% smoke free when I arrived. The atmosphere was pleasant, they had updated the common areas to look very comfortable, and pleasant. The pool area was accommodating. I was impressed with the exercise room, it contained far more equipment than I'm used to.. usually a hotel has about 4 or 5 machines, this area had over and above that.. close to 16 treadmill/elliptical/stair machines, and then another separate weight room with I'd guess over 20 machines. There is also a Curling club attached to the hotel, but the rink was not in use when we visited. The staff were very friendly, and quick to respond to requests. There was no sound leaking from the other rooms, or hallways through the walls. The online reservation system had glitched, but it was a smooth transition to getting a room for us.. no hassle or pain at all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Regina, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I spent one night at this hotel. The common areas in the hotel seem to have been updated fairly recently. Unfortunately, our room on the first floor was not in the same condition. The room smelled of stale cigarettes. Someone had tried to mask the smell but it did not work. The shower had mould. You could see spills up and down several of the walls. My roommate and I both left the room with stuffy, runny noses. This was likely a result of the cigarette smell or the dirty carpets. Our check in was smooth, but we arrived around 9PM and there were no other guests to be seen. We were surprised that a $200 deposit was required upon check in. We used express check out.

Room Tip: Some rooms on the second floor may have been renovated.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Second time staying at the Canad Inns in Portage, again this time was for business.
-Check is was smooth, but the hotel charges your credit card an additional $200, which is refunded back upon check out. I have never heard of this at any other hotel, so I found this pretty strange.
-Had a similar room to the last time. The room was large with a fridge an microwave. Unfortunatley, the room was very warm and the air conditioner kept cutting in and out. It was very loud when it turned on and made sleep difficult. Needless to say I didn't have a great sleep. The room was fairly clean, although I did find some large hairs in the towels. Bed and pillows were fine. As noted previously, the rooms could use some updating
-Ate a couple of meals at the restaurant and it was okay. Nothing special, buffet was okay for supper, breakfast the next morning was good.
All in all, not a bad hotel but certainly nothing spectacular.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

Stayed here on business. Had to change rooms as the first smelled like cigaretes and air tons of air freshener. The second room had a bathtub that wouldn't drain, even after being "fixed" by the hotel. The carpets throughout are filthy and smell. Check in and check out are slow and painful processes compared to just about any other hotel. Staff at desk are not helpful or knowledgeable about the area. Basically, it was a poor hotel but you may not find much better elsewhere in this town.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Canad Inns Portage la Prairie? Share your experiences!