“Sushi911” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 69 restaurants in Quesnel
“Sushi911”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

I've lived in quesnel for over 5 years now, and have been a huge fan of sushi my whole life. I could live off the stuff. However, I had never tried Tokyo till now because I feared... Well, sushi in the Cariboo? Hmm, seeing as i am used to having sushi in the lower mainland. And after finally deciding to go, as a family of 3 I quickly found out, the prices were way too high. But I shrugged it off in hopes of quality. I was hugely disappointed, the fish was discolored and quite frankly... Fishy. The food was "garnished" with parsley, which covered the entire meal, like a blanket. The rice was so loosely put together that it fell apart when picked up on a roll. It was impossible to eat, and it was horrid. The wasabi looked as though it came out of a tube of soggy toothpaste. It was all very bad to the sight, and taste buds. I paid for the drinks, and returned the food, in fear of a hospital trip from eating what looked like tainted salmon. I will not be back.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

60% Recommend
“A frustrating disappointment.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Firstly, I consider myself (rightfully or not) a sushi connoisseur. I find myself torn about how to rate Tokyo Sushi, considering it is the only place in town! Is it really fair to compare it to the sushi I've had in big cities?

However, despite the fact sushi is my favourite food (BY A WIDE MARGIN), I think the fact I have only visited this establishment twice in the past year is telling..

I can boil down my assessment of Tokyo Sushi into 3 points:

1. The food is prohibitively expensive, maybe 2-3 times that of Japanese restaurants in Vancouver. It is expensive by Quesnel standards. I understand why it is so expensive, but when this point is combined with points 2 and 3, I cannot handle the prices.
2. They cater their specials to sushi-novices (none of the overpriced specials contained raw fish). This I also understand, given the needs of the community.
3. The sushi is **SLIGHTLY** sub-par. The cuts of fish are smaller than what I'm used to. They also have a mild fishy smell, indicating that they are not quite fresh enough. The seaweed, as another reviewer has mentioned, is a little slimy.

So in a nutshell, I can't recommend Tokyo Sushi because I cannot justify spending such high prices on slightly-worse-than-average Sushi.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Courtenay, Canada
“Weary travelers stumble upon wonderful dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

When we arrived at Quesnel we only wanted to get off the road, out of the rain, and stop moving. Eating was a necessity not an adventure. This restaurant was suggested by the motel we stayed at (nearby) and when the food arrived we realized we had struck gold.

We had a BC and dynamite roll (with real crab), an appetizer tempura, miso soup, my husband shared his beef yaki soba with me and I also had the taco sunomono. Wow! We were stuffed and delighted. We are loyal to our local shushi restaurant but relunctantly concluded that this was even better than what we were used to.

Only thing missing: wakame salad. My favorite.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Quesnel, Canada
“as good as any you can get in vancouver”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

The reviewer who said it's not good after their meal in Vancouver is silly. I hit up sushi places where ever I got because it's my favourite food. It's light tasty, perfect for when you travel and often end up eating less healthy/too heavy food out of necessity.

Peter the sushi master (for lack of a better word?) is friendly and does a great job. Everything on the menu is top notch. If you eat sushi at a place where mayonnaise is used to hold the rolls together you don't know what real sushi is. Of course Peter knows what he is doing and and doesn't use gimmicks. The service can be slow and in the winter wear extra clothes because either the heat is not on or the brick building in the Cariboo is a poor building material choice! Probably a bit of both.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Quesnel, Canada
“Best sushi in the Cariboo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

After moving around the Cariboo and trying to satisfy my sushi cravings in other towns/cities (especially Prince George), I've decided this is seriously the best sushi available in the Cariboo region. The enviroment is great, and the sushi itself is always fresh and delicious.

• Visited March 2012