“An Average Sandman - Neither Overly Good Nor Bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandman Hotel Quesnel

You added Sandman Hotel Quesnel to your Saves list
Sandman Hotel Quesnel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   940 Chew Road, Quesnel, British Columbia V2J 6R8, Canada   |
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Quesnel
Prince George, Canada
“An Average Sandman - Neither Overly Good Nor Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed for one Saturday night last weekend. The location is good, with a large retail store, a supermarket, and several restaurants within walking distance. Checking in was a little slower than usual. The front desk clerk (a young Cyndi Lauper-lookalike) was attentive but evidently inexperienced. I'm sure that she will improve with time. The door to our room needed a solid tug/push to ensure that it latched. The room was clean. There were sports teams in the hotel that night, and there was some noise as youths were walking and talking in the hallway. They settled down before it got too late, so it was not a significant issue. The bathroom counter was larger than usual for a Sandman -- a nice touch. The mattress may be due for replacement, or at least turning; the side in front of the TV was significantly bowed downwards. The parking spaces were too narrow for my liking, a problem made worse by the presence of several wider service trucks parked in the lot that night. Fortunately, there is a parking space at the northwest corner of the lot which is perpendicular to the spaces next to it, meaning that no one parks next to your vehicle. Checking out was smooth and efficient. We did not use the pool this time around, but we've used it on prior visits and it's fine for letting the kids burn off energy before bed. We will likely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side face the highway. The attached Denny's Restaurant is acceptable for brea...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Whistler, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Good place to stop on your way through B.C.
Friendly staff, clean, dog friendly, Shark club is a nice place to unwind from a day of winter driving
I find this 200 character minimum to be annoying, so now I'm just trying to make up some extra characters to reach the minimum. I think this would stop a lot of people writing reviews

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
North BC, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

After a long snowy drive, I was welcomed with a friendly face. I had called the day before to see if they had any vacancy possibly the next night... I wasn't sure how far I would make it so didn't want to book in case weather was sketchy. The lady at the front desk remembered my call! Asked me how my trip was and provided quick and efficient but friendly service! I'm sure she saw I was bedraggled pulling in at 11pm and she lifted my mood when she upgraded me to a King size bed and ensured my room overlooked my truck and trailer in the neighboring parking area. The room was very nice, clean and the bed was very comfortable. The whole experience was a good one and I will definitely be back :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed here on business for the evening. The hotel is conveniently located near Walmart, gas stations, 7 Eleven... There is a Denny's and a Shark Club in the hotel which is nice because it gives you options. The staff was friendly. The room was a bit outdated, beds firm, tvs old, gym small, pool small. I wasn't expecting anything too fancy anyways! I never complain about these things but there was a stain under my sink with hair stuck in it from the moment I checked in. After a long day of work and travel I wasn't down to switch rooms. The wifi was pretty good. I might try the Best Western next time I'm in town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SandmanQuesnel, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Quesnel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your comments. While our pool is not full-size, most people do find it large enough, and our gym offers a new universal gym, treadmill and step machine. If you are used to swimming lengths, or working out in a full-size gym, I can see why you might find these a bit small. We look at areas to improve our property each year. This year we we were able to upgrade our old TV's to new 36" flatscreens. New duvet covers have been ordered for most of the rooms, but not all of the rooms have been updated as of yet; you must have been in a room with a bedspread. We have also recently invested in an extensive new wi-fi system that has allowed us to offer a good strong signal (still at no charge to guests) throughout the building. As for the stain under your bathroom sink, I can only apologize for the oversight. We would have been happy to provide you with a new room if you had brought this to our attention. We have very high standards for our housekeepers and we can proudly say that that we have a reputation for having a very clean hotel. I do understand, however, that changing rooms after a long day is not always a welcome option for some guests. If you do visit us on a return trip, please contact me and I'll be happy to see how we can improve your next stay. Rob Moutray; General Manager
Vernon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Decided to stop here on my drive home after seeing how nice the place looks. It is in South Quesnel, right on the highway (in front of the Walmart). As other reviewers have said, the lobby looks lovely, and the rooms are the standard brown colours, but nicely appointed (other than the old TVs). Staff are very friendly. Convenient to have 2 restaurants that you can go to without going out in the cold -- Denny's at one end and the Shark Club (sports bar/restaurant) at the other (had dinner there and it was quite good). HOWEVER, next time I am there, I would definitely ask for the opposite side from the Shark Club. The outside patio is used as the smoking lounge, and it was very noisy even from my room on the second floor. I ended up having to turn on the air conditioner fan to create some "white noise" as it was after midnight and I needed to get some sleep to continue the rest of my drive.

Room Tip: Try something far away from the pub.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Maple Ridge, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have stayed at Sandmans for many years and have often thought the hotels likely won't age well as they are built with very cheap materials. The Quesnel location is a prime example. The exterior and lobbys always make you feel like you are checking into a nice hotel but the rooms are terrible. The bed was so uncomfortable that camping on the ground would be my closest comparison. Old tube tvs, paint pealing off the bathroom ceiling, multiple tiles on floor and around shower are cracked, old comfortors and bedding... this hotel needs a massive renovation. As mentioned in other reviews, don't expect a smile or greeting when you arrive to check in, nice gal at the front desk but she looked really unhappy. The only positive for me was being attached to the Shark Club restaurant as they have decent food.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
St Pierre la Bourlhonne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Our third time in a Sandman Hotel & we found this to be fine. Very accessible by road, ample parking; nowhere much to walk in the vicinity but this is located for car-treveller convenience, like many European industrial zone Hotels. If you want individuality look elsewhere. Spacious room, very nice lobby & very pleasant staff. No problems. QED.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandman Hotel Quesnel? Share your experiences!