We don't want to discourage anyone from patronizing this motel, you may find you really like it, but be aware it is definitely NOT a four star accommodation like seemingly all the reviews here optimistically state. It is only fair to future patrons to be completely honest about the condition and experience of this establishment. We found that the room was quite run-down and probably hadn't been updated for many decades. Other than being old, it was fairly clean, but there were some spider webs hanging from one wall and window. The overworked Hungarian couple that manages this hotel (I assume they are the owners) do everything, including serving and helping cook the breakfast and dinner, all the room housekeeping for 12 units, guest services, etc etc, every day so I'm sure they do the best they can under those circumstances. The west view of the valley from the room balconies is indeed very impressive, so some updating and renovations to the rooms (ie. tile floors for the small bathrooms, refinishing the pine wall panels, new rug, paint on walls, doors, and trim, balcony flooring replacement, for example) could really leverage the great view into an overall superior establishment that would deserve a four star rating. The beds are also low and very creaky, and need replacement. Walls are thin and the floors noisy so you can hear a lot of talking and walking from other rooms. Furniture in the sitting area is an interesting assortment of cots and foldup couches that aren't attractive. The old tube TV should be replaced with a newer flat screen. We appreciated having the microwave and fridge in the "suite". The electric baseboard heater for the room has no thermostat so you decide how high to set it and hope it is about right in the middle of the night. At no time did we feel comfortable in the room or want to stay in it.
Our package included Hungarian style breakfast and dinner. The dinner especially is a large portion and is quite tasty, but although you are given a menu, you are also told exactly what dish they are going to serve you that night, so not sure why the menu. Be aware that the Hungarian style means usually fried or deep fried so not especially health conscious. When my wife inquired about a healthier alternative dish to the fried weiner schnitzel, she was asked abruptly "why, are you allergic to it?". Eventually some alternatives were offered, which she enjoyed.
Comparatively, Radium has mostly old accommodations so this one may be average for the area. I would describe the lodge as basically a "cabin" environment, so if a person is prepared to enjoy that motif, all will be well. We, however, were convinced by the reviews that the accommodation would be superior, so were surprised by the actual condition of the motel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Rocky Mountain Springs Lodge and Citadella Restaurant is situated well above Radium Hot Springs with the BEST view in town. We have panoramic view from every and EACH private balcony, even from the lower floor. Our Hungarian Restaurant is under the motel, with a huge patio, also with a magnificent view and the most delicious meals in an idyllic atmosphere. You can see the Rocky Mountains from everywhere in town, from all the motels, but it is not comparable to our view, just like you see it from an airplane or a bird's eye. Room price includes hot breakfast served in our restaurant with a variety of items to find your favorite one. It is not a buffet, rather a freshly served breakfast made by our Hungarian Chef, just like our dinners. We have an extensive menu for the evening meals, a variety of Hungarian, western and vegetarian dishes. You can watch the sunset while dining or from your private balcony, and the sunrise from your bed if you wish. We have pet friendly and wheelchair accessible suites on the main floor. All rooms have sitting area, new queen beds, new carpets, fridge, microwave and free WIFI. We can provide coffee makers or cattle's in your room.We are located a 1000feet over town by the National Park with all sorts of wildlife frequently walking by. A trail trough the forest starts from our parking lot to the Mineral Hot Springs.We, the owners clean the rooms, so they are spotlessly clean and we serve you in the restaurant as well, very friendly hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Venere, Priceline, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Rocky Mountain Springs Lodge and Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rocky Mountain Springs Hotel
- Rocky Mountain Springs Motel