“Shocking Customer service!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sinbad's Hotel and Suites

You added Sinbad's Hotel and Suites to your Saves list
Sinbad's Hotel and Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O. Box 450 | 133 Bennett Drive, Gander, Newfoundland and Labrador A1V 1W6 , Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Gander
Cork, Ireland
“Shocking Customer service!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

Firstly let me just say I have not stayed in this hotel. It had been recommended to me by a friend. So I went to check it out. It looked bleak from the outside, the lobby was dated, and it was very very quiet, there were no people around, no radio just complete silence. I went to the reception desk to check availability and prices for myself and my family for up to 14 nights from new years eve to mid January. I was told (by Shirley) that there wasn't any availability, then she changed her mind and said there was availability......BUT I would have to guarantee her that we wouldn't ''trash the room''!!??!! (Really are serious Shirley?! how do you work in this industry when you talk to people like that?!)

In total shock that she had just said that to me, I went along with it, I asked to see a room. The room I saw was cold, it had faded furniture, badly patched up walls, it was very old fashioned in general and dirty carpet (it was kind of trashed already it would seem).

I just can't believe that in Gander at the end of December start of January this hotel can afford to lose alot business and repeat business by insulting potential guests. We stayed at The Comfort Inn while in Gander and it was lovely!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Newfoundland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2009

I booked three rooms, one for myself and two for co-workers. We all ended up with very different rooms and experiences. Mine was large and had a kitchenette with a seating area. The others' were small and quite dingy. The decor was awful and the layout of the hotel is very confusing with winding hallways and dark corners.

We could not get served in the restaurant either day we were there because they had a group of out-of-country army who were held up at the hotel until their plane was fixed. The group was loud the the staff were unapologetic and uncooperative about the disruptions.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
York, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

This hotel is situated between a lorry park and a commercial centre. This is apparently the centre of Gander. I can see no reason to stay here unless on business or too exhausted to travel on! The motel style room was acceptable enough and the restaurant ok - no alternative in the area.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed July 2008
NOVA SCOTIA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2008

This is a clean room....thats about all it is. Nothing much to remember....very seventies decor and groovy polyester bedspreads. They do offer Aeroplan points and they do have a frequent stay program....given they are part of the Steeles Hotel group in Newfoundland, you could add a few nights and redeem for a free night at their nicest/newest property in St.John's, The Capital Hotel.

Sinbads slogan could be come to us to go to sleep...thats about all you'd want to do there.

Stayed January 2008
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

I will not recommend this motel.

During my stay, about 200 to 300 bikers were also in the motel, some 4 to 5 in a room, drinking and partying throughout the night. It was impossible to sleep. I complained at 11PM and I was told they’d have the motel security see if they could ask the bikers to be quiet (the motel staff was cautious and nervous). At 2AM I had enough; I complained again and the night attendant was apologetic but said there was nothing he could do. I did not sleep at all.

I spoke with the manager in the morning and she told me she’d take $10 off my bill. How insulting. She claimed someone told me the motel would be filled with bikers—trust me, no one told me that when I booked the room because I would have found other accommodations.

The motel was not accommodating, they should have done the right thing and discounted one night from my bill (about $100)—instead they now get this honest and unfavorable review. Some businesses just don’t understand customer service. The Sinbad’s Motel is one of those businesses.

Now, on the other hand, if you are a biker who likes to party and drink all night, give Sinbad’s Motel a try, you’ll probably like it.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Staying
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southwestern Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2006

Can't beleive that this hotel was rated a 3 1/2 star in the Newfoundland and Labrador tour book. This place was old & dingy. Bedding very well used, as were the towels. The shower was a menace. Cold one minute and scalding hot the next. Virtually impossible to find an inbetween setting without burning yourself. Curtains had cigarette burns in them. Not pleasant stay whatsoever. By far the worst hotel out of a 10 day stay.

• Stayed September 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2006

I stayed at this hotel on a bus tour of Newfoundland.The hotel is located in a busy area near shopping mall.The rooms and corridors are old and the whole hotel needs refurbishing.We could hear the persons above us walking around.Rooms are not soundproof! I would avoid this place if you can get a newer accomodation.This was the only hotel of many on our trip that we did not enjoy.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Sinbad's Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!