“Stay Away From This Rat Trap!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Tropical Inn Hotel and Conference Centre

Tropical Inn Hotel and Conference Centre
You added Tropical Inn Hotel and Conference Centre to your Saves list
Tropical Inn Hotel and Conference Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5621 44th Street, Lloydminster, Alberta T9V 0B2, Canada   |
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Lloydminster
A TripAdvisor Member
“Stay Away From This Rat Trap!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2006

My only words are STAY AWAY!!!!! This place is a dive...no no...that is putting it nicely this place is an overall rat trap!!!

For starters the room was outdated and dingy not to mention disgusting!! The pool well if you wanna call it that was awfull, the waterslides had cracks and what not in them, and the stairs up to the waterslide should have fallen over a long time ago. They used to go to rooms which look over a courtyard. The rooms over the courtyard look to be abandoned and I sure hope they are. And there is an old room in the stairway that has just been tiled in, yes thats right AN OLD ROOM. Awwwww and the stairs up to the waterslides are covered in mold, this place should be closed down right now!!

The lobby was blue with smoke as was the rest of the building, the parking was tight. I think this place would have been the hot spot in the 1970's, but that was the last time they let the smoke out, cleaned it, painted it, or anything. I don't think this place can be fixed, it has just been to runned into the growned.

OVerall, stay away, unless you wanna catch something from all the mold, or catch something from something else I didn't even see.

STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2005

Our hockey team stayed at this filthy hotel December 2nd - 4th 2005.
Our room had not been cleaned; there was soap with hair on it left in the shower. There were four people in our room and two towels. The coffee maker had what appeared to be left over coffee and used stir sticks. The pop cans from the last guests were still in the closet, and the bedding was not changed. We were locked out of our room for almost an hour because the keycard mechanism didn't work and no one knew where to find a regular key to open the door. When asked how housekeeping gets into the rooms if the keycards don’t work the front desk clerk replied, “well we don’t really have a housekeeping team”. No kidding?! Our team booked the Confederation Room to have a get together pizza dinner, only to find that when the time came to go in, there was another team in there eating pizza and watching a hockey game. When we discussed this with the staff they said, “Oh, we figured you were all together”…no apology, nothing…they barely looked up! The crew running the place was very inexperienced. The smell of smoke and marijuana was so strong that we could barely sleep. It was appalling. If you must stay here…bring your own bedding, blankets, towels, soap, shampoo, and cleaning staff. They should be ashamed.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2005

I stayed in this hotel with my 5 yr old and baby. The room itself was not bad except they promised a refridgerator when I arrived there was not one. Had to order one, took most of the day before it arrived. Only problem with the room was that it was freezing, blowing air conditioning the entire time. Explained baby and I never got any sleep as we were very cold, never fazed the staff. Asked for extra blankets(which never arrived) and for a/c to be fixed someone came and looked at it but never came back to fix. Froze again 2nd night. Upon return late on my 2nd night, the staff changed the card key so my card key would not work. Had to drag the the children down to find out why I cannot get into room. They said they could not find my reservation, although I had been there already one night and all my stuff was in the room. Once I got a new key, I asked staff if the a/c was fixed they said "Well, I was in the room several time today and it seemed fine!". I explained that with a baby and the fact that it's almost 0 degrees outside at night the room gets very cold as they have an outside window that freezes up. She just stated "It's not that bad!". Well, it was bad again and we all ended up sleeping with coats on to stay warm!) Unbelievable service. I haven't even mentioned the aweful swimming area, don't go in this disease infested cess pool. Some idiot let their dog into the area to swim in the pool. Then 1 hour later a staff member attended the area only to kick everyone out so he could put chemical into the pool area. He mentioned that no one would be able to swim in the pool for at least 1/2 hour in order for the chemical to dissolve he then came out with a gas mask that covered his entire face and long black plastic gloves that went up to his shoulders and he then proceeded to pour some type of crystal from a pail into the water. (Makes you wonder what exactly the chemical was, after this encounter I would not let my 5 yr old go back in as I was afraid she would get some skin disease or that her skin would melt off her. No discount either as they must have thought I was making it all up! I will never again stay there or recommend this place to anyone! Beware!!!! Don't waste your money or a good nights rest or your health at this place...

• Stayed September 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2005

This is a major craphole and the other reviewers nailed the nail right on the head.

The room was bad but not B.A.D, it was clean and there were not major problems with the room. The staff were bad and the lobby was Disgusting. The waterpark was the worst as all the other people said. There was mold and filth all over the wooden stairs that go through a tunnel (More like a ghetto) you get the creeps just walking in that building. The waterslides were very old one was a tunnel and one was open. The open one was the only one working that weekend (Crapy). The hallways were dingy a crapy. And the outside was horrid. It looked like a low rent apartment. There was a tower and a small part. The small two story building looked abandoned.

This was the worst so called hotel (More like a hostel) and I will never set foot in it again.

• Stayed May 2000
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2005

This Hotel Is Just Plain Nasty.

The Waterpark Is So Old And Moldy That It Makes You Sick To Go In It. The Waterpark Just Has Some Kind Of Abadoned Feeling As There Is No One There (Wonder Why). The Waterslides Are Full Of Cracks And Mold And It Just Is Not Fun.

The Room Was Not Bad Except For The Fact That The Roof Is Very Low And The Walls Are Pink (Yes Pink).

The Lobby Is Outdated Badly And Has Bad Staff. That Lobby Gave Me A Bad Impretion Of The Hotel Because It Was Ulgy, Smoky (Blue With Smoke), And Smelled Like Paint.

The Ballroom Was Gross It Was So Smoky And Badly lit. The Ballroom Was Probley The Worst Room In The Hotel, It Was Also In The Basement.

There Were Skulky Looking People Around The Gift Shop And The Hallways Did Not Seem Safe.

The Whole Building Had An Abandoned Feeing Just A Creepy Feeling. I Do Not Believe In Ghost So I Know That Was Not It, It Just Felt Like Someone Was Always Behind You.

The Nieghborhood Was Shabby But I Find The Whole Of Lloydminster Very Shabby.

• Stayed April 2000
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2005

This place is REVOLTING it should be torn down better yet BURNT down.

From the start we did not like it. To start we noticed it had an old sign and just looked like a dump. The lobby was smoky and shabby it had faded lime green walls and there were ugly ball lights above the desk. The desk clerk who checked us in was not dressed nicely and she was RUDE and did not know what a smile was. When we got out of the elevator we noted that the roof was very low my dad 6'2 was almost bumping his head. As for our room it was very ugly and the roof was also low. It had pink walls. It did have a bay window which was nice and it also was clean. When we went down to the pool/waterslide we noted two pooolview rooms What was that and two very old moldy waterslide (One not working). On Our Way Up To the waterslide we had to go up a inclosed stairway which used to be for rooms as there was an old room of to the side that was just coverd in tile and looked into a old part of the hotel (looked Abandon). At the top it was GROSS and moldy and on the way down it hurt our backs as the waterslide had mold and cracks. I might say that the pool was nice but the waterslides were AWFUL. That day we went to my cousin's wedding and then came back and went to the reception in the basment. The ballroom was GROSS it was DINGY and SMOKY. This is the worst hotet I've Stayed in (And I've Stayed In Lots Of Super 8's, Days Inns Ex.).

Alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2004

Without a doubt the Tropical inn is the worst hotel i've stayed in. The room SUCKED big time. The entrance was so ugly and smoky. The front desk staff where rude and unhelpfull. The room was gross I would rather have slept in my van. Oh and the waterslides where aweful. They were covered in mold and had tons of cracks. Only one was open because the other was broken. And the stairs up to the waterslides were full of mold. I tell you those stairs could have been the set for a ghost movie. DO NOT STAY THERE!!!!!!!!

Been to Tropical Inn Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!