“Great food, renovating soon” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Qualicum Beach Inn

Qualicum Beach Inn
2690 Island Highway West, Qualicum Beach, British Columbia V9K 1G8, Canada (Formerly Old Dutch Inn)
(250) 752-6914
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Qualicum Beach, Canada
“Great food, renovating soon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

A great dining experience with beautifully prepared and flavorful meals. A bargain in summer with half price appetizers. Dining room a little too motelish, to be changed shortly I understand. Do not miss.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Parksville, Canada
“Delightful food and view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Location, food, ocean view, service - the Old Dutch Inn has it all.

Visited July 2012
Parksville, Canada
“Up and Down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I know the inn is under new ownership and the restaurant has yet to be redone. The food can be excellent or average, i am not sure what it depends on yet. They have a great spot, and the service was good. I think there are high hopes of changes to come, and hopefully consistency too.

Visited February 2012
“1/2 Price Appy Night- Sooooo Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Thursday night is half Price Appy and Salad night! Great deal!! I have been a few times, tried the Brie/Filo, the Calamari, Brushetta, all were fantastic but by far the best scallops I have ever had with the bacon jam!!! I have also tried the spinach salad with pear and confit of duck, delicious!!! I am very thrifty and probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if I paid full price but was totally worth it at half price!!! (Also Thursday night has all cocktails for only $5)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver Island
“So disappointed! Bad food ,lacking in service quality and attention to detail!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Went for my birthday supper having long wanted to try out the new menu*-fresh seafood and local concept .
Happy to start with a bunch of shared appies and cocktails, then move onto dinner and dessert.
Sadly, we never made it past the appetizers .
Service was slow and certainly lacking in any enthusiasm . there were 2 servers to cover 6 tables and we had to ask several times for more water . The lack of attention to any details played out in all aspects of our meal .
Seafood chowder - fresh and lots dill and cream. One bowl had lots seafood while one was almost devoid of it - weirdly the chef drizzled chili oil on top of the chowder . I love hot spicy food but felt it overpowered the soup.
The ceviche was so disappointing- a family favorite ,had NO shrimp at all and a few pieces of scallop - tons of chopped greens , weak on the lime or spice-bland tasting. When I asked the server about it she brought us another bowl with some shrimp and seasoned a bit better but still mostly chopped herbs/greens . Serving it with some fresh bread or crackers would have been nice - the server looked surprised when I requested some as we were all sharing . .@$15 not good value!
Side plates should have been brought as several of us were sharing 5 appies , but I was too upset about the food to ask for the obvious!
The calamari was over cooked and seasoned with ? Curry and served with a bland green goddess(haven't seen that since the 1980s) even my kids did not like it .
The Qualicum bay scallops(3) were nicely seared but served with a huge wad of sprouts on some old dried up corn . The bacon jam was tasty but totally overwhelmed the delicate seafood .
Again ,for $13 not good value.
The duck confit salad was inedible and we sent it back ! Presentation was awful. It was all thrown in a bowl and the duck leg thrown on top. So old dry and salty none of us would eat it !sad!
We've had gorgeous duck confit in Paris and elsewhere and were looking forward to it! To end on a positive ,
The sunset view was gorgeous ! I certainly hope they can get this place up to speed with quality food and service - our town is certainly a void of good dining options !
Headed to another local eatery for dessert and chocolate martinis so my bday dinner ended on a better note !

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere