“A welcoming friendly B & B in Qualicum.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of At Nautica Tigh Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Qualicum Beach
At Nautica Tigh Bed & Breakfast
You added At Nautica Tigh Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
2519 West Island Highway (19 A), Qualicum Beach, British Columbia V9K1G5, Canada   |
Ranked #9 of 21 Qualicum Beach B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“A welcoming friendly B & B in Qualicum.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I visited this warm welcoming home in March of this year. Meant to write a review earlier and was reminded when looking at pictures of my visit to the area. Lovely bright room. Enjoyed the food. Particularly enjoyed the welcoming warm vibe from the host, Karen. Will for sure return and have recommended it already to friends who have all had great experiences too! Karen seems to be connected to all kinds of things that are going on in the community and was a wealth of knowledge about what to see and do!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
QualicumBeacher, Owner at At Nautica Tigh Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you! There are so many activities happening in the great weather. Parksville's Sand Sculptures Festival, Music events, paddle boarding & kayaking off Qualicum beach, Markets & Faires, lunch on Milner's Garden's veranda overlooking the ocean, birding in Heritage Forest.
Please come back and visit us in the summer time. ~ Karen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This was a very bad experience. I booked weeks in advance from a description on line. It was not as seen in the picture.

My visit was May 5, 2013. I arrived at noon, and was told the room was not ready until three. I was embarrassed by the appearance of everything. The entrance to this room was an unkempt patio. The little area where I thought I was to enjoy a nice quiet breakfast was facing a busy highway. There was dead vegetation around the area. The table and umbrella were well used. The wall decoration over the unmade bed appeared like it was a well worn sheet made into a flower-drapery. Not at all, bright coloured and attractive. But the main reason I could not stay was due to the musty smell of the basement apartment I was to rent.

After leaving my suitcase and driving away, I knew I would have to go back and tell the owner I could not stay no matter how embarrassing this would be.

Minutes later I was back and told Karen I regretted having to cancel this booking. I told her the odour bothered my throat right away and would bother my breathing and rest. (I have the beginning of COPD). I was charged full price regardless of my inability to stay for that reason, plus mistakenly charged an extra day. Had the Chamber of Commerce in Qualicum not told me to go and ask for reversal of charges I would not have even bothered due to the resentful way I was treated when I nicely apologized for not being able to stay there. I was reimbursed half the charge of the booking plus the extra day I had not booked but was charged, when I acted on this advice.

I would suggest anyone trying a B&B for the first time NOT to book here. There are other wonderful places and well worthy of being given great reviews. If I could have stayed, why would I leave to find more suitable accommodation when I tried to do this all in advance? One can only judge so much from a website! I would suggest one book only one day if they really do not know the owner, then if they run across someone like this owner, they will not be charged unfairly if the reality is not what a website describes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
QualicumBeacher, Owner at At Nautica Tigh Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor. I take complaints & compliments very seriously.
Following the recommendations from hundreds of guests, I have achieved a 9.3 out of 10 Booking.com award, and At Nautica Tigh B & B is rated in the top 10 B&B's in this area.
On May 5, you arrived approx. 3.5 hours before the 3pm check-in time, and stood in the Patio room doorway 3 minutes, when you left your suitcase. 15 minutes later you returned, and complained of a musty smell and of having COPD, yet admitted you did not bring a breathing apparatus.
I was not resentful at all when you stated you could not stay, my email to you on May 5th, stated how very sorry I was that you could not stay with me, and I would try to re-rent the room...that I was an honest woman and would never take advantage of people.
On my calendar, your reservation was for 7 days, I gave you 'the benefit of the doubt' and adjusted your invoice to 5 nights as I offer the 6th night free. We mutually agreed to split the amount of $325., I refunded $162.50 to your credit card.
I immediately called 2 friends over to check for mustiness, they could not smell any. I had a professional evaluation done from a restoration company. Using infra-red technology, they could not locate any dampness, leaks, nor any mold, mildew or mustiness.
Food smells linger. My guests enjoy breakfasts/lunches/suppers in the privacy of their 'home away from home' rooms. Each room is equipped with a small fridge, microwave, toaster oven, toaster, kettle & coffeemaker.
I have never hid the fact my home is on a highway, numerous photos show this forested area slopes towards the ocean, allowing my home to have a walk-out level. The Patio room is level entry & the Secret Garden room almost level entry with full size windows.
The dead vegetation, you referred to, was the remaining leaves from hundreds of Spring bulbs, purple hyacinths, daffodils, narcissus, crocuses... In the cool rainy season, including May, I use plastic lawn chairs. In the sunny season, canvas chairs, decorative pillows, place mats, more sun umbrellas etc. are brought out of storage.
The custom made, reversible bed-spread & swag, plus curtains on the new windows are made of Nancy Rollins decorator fabric. 3 custom framed Beatrix Potter art work, are from one of my trips to the UK. New vinyl click floors allow guests worry free use, coming in from the rain, beaches, hiking trails or ski slopes.
You chose to stay at a nearby B&B for 5 nights, yet complained to me that they were expensive. I replied, they serve a sit down breakfast in their dining room.
My goal is to offer my valued guests, comfortable, carefree, "privacy assured" accommodation while travelling on Vancouver Island.
My tripadvisor and Booking.com ratings show I have achieved this goal.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I've been a touring musician for the better part of 15 years and have stayed in so many places from flophouses, hostels, five star hotels, bar hotels, couches, floors. I was delighted when I'd booked this bed and breakfast sight unseen and rolled in to Qualicum Beach from a ferry ride after the night before in Mission, B.C. This is the kind of place dreams are made of. You roll in and the quaintness of the place strikes you as hard as the sweet aroma of oceanbeach watersalt mixed with cedar from trees in the area. When we arrived there was a "make yourself at home note" and the room had a really great vibe, clean, and well equipped with everything we needed. Good shower and good wifi and food in the fridge was there for us to help ourselves to some snacks. I enjoyed being there for the first time so much I booked a return stay in a week from now when I'm back in the area. Karen was a super kind and warm hearted host who made us feel like old friends, which I'm certain we will become as I return to Qualicum Beach again and again in the future. A fine and affordable bed and breakfast. I appreciated my time there and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Oshawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

It's a great setup for a B&B. There's three rooms that are a part of the owners home but all with separate entrances. Your room is cleaned and breakfast is left in a fridge the night before so you can enjoy at your own leisure. The rooms are spacious and cozy. The owner Karyn is incredibly helpful and kind. She really went above and beyond to assist with whatever we needed. I would recommend anyone stay there if visiting Qualicium Beach or Parksville. I would stay they again anytime!

• Stayed May 2013
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Thank you again Karen for another enjoyable visit. The room was lovely and comfortable with everything a guest would need for an enjoyable stay. Great location. Close to the beach and walking distance to the heart of the village. A charming self contained retreat. As always Karen was the ever attentive hostess

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you Jerry! It's always a pleasure to see you and your friends, enjoying all the festivities going on in Qualicum Beach, year round. ~ Karen
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Lovely comfortable room in semi-basement. Nice view through the trees - from bedroom window. Great comfy bed, well equipped but quite compact. Very clean. Lots of nice breakfast supplies laid on, incl. fresh milk/cream for out coffee. Easy off-street parking. Just a short walk from the fantastic beach. Nice beachfront restaurant nearby.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you! My West Coast home sits on the hill sloping to the Salish Sea - Georgia Strait, enabling it to have a spacious walk-out level. The Secret Garden is a cozy room, equipped with a mini- kitchenette. The patio is the most private one. Perfect weather this summer - the ocean temperature is like soup at the beautiful Judge's Row Beach! Yes, the Beach House Cafe is so close - their duck dinner is wonderful! ~ Karen
Tofino, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

With this title my wife and I tried to explain how nice, beautiful and special our stay was but there is no words and pictures that can give you the idea of our feelings when we opened the door and we entered the room!! Karen, the owner, put her heart into her home and is sharing a piece of it with us. Clean, warm, awesome breakfast, best quality towels, and the list goes on.
If you are looking for a quite and relaxing vacation close to the beach, this is a fantastic B&B that offers everything you need and more!!

Thanks Karen!! We will be back

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
QualicumBeacher, Owner at At Nautica Tigh Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Thank you for your great review! I am glad you felt comfortable and relaxed here. My wonderful guests have given me so many super ideas, for my Bed & Breakfast rooms. My goal is to make folks feel like this is their home, away from home, where they can sit back and relax! Thanks again for choosing my B & B. ~ Karen

Been to At Nautica Tigh Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!