You added The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Saint Andrews
Dieppe, Canada
“Excellent satu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at the newly renovated Algonquin. There is still a lot of construction to be done and some wings are being worked on. Our room however was very nicely done and the lobby / restaurant is beautiful. We stayed in a 2 queen suite with a little kitchenette and it was really spacious for myself, my husband and our son. The kitchenette has a sinc along with a small fridge, microwave and some kitchen cupboards. There weren't any plates or utensils but they brought some up as soon as we called. Our son has major allergies and so we need to be able to make his meals when we are travelling. We went out to get some dishsoap and papertowel and made due. The pool area is incredible. The pool is very big and the slide is so much fun (as much for the kids as the adults). The big gym overlooking the pool has a lot of equipment.

We found all staff extremely nice and helpful. It was a relaxing and great weekend and we would definitely come back.

We went into town on Saturday. Some shops were open but not all of them yet. My husbamd and son played a bit of golf. They indicated staff there were really nice as well.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
NCHR, Director of Sales at The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear N L:

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your review. I'm glad the Studio room gave your family the space and dining ability required.

Please visit us again, the water slide is calling!

Denise Bradbury

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Halifax
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

The 233-room Algonquin Resort overlooks the picturesque Passamaquoddy Bay from St. Andrews, New Brunswick. Originally built in 1889, then destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1915, the Algonquin recently underwent a two-year renovation - opening in March 2014. The Tudor style building with its huge verandah, is impressive and commands the highest point in St. Andrews.

What has been done for a $40-million refit? Well, all the windows look new - no doubt custom constructed to look like they always were part of the hotel. New beds, art, uniforms, new bright bathrooms with radiant in-floor heating, drapery, carpeting, the place has been winterized top to bottom, indoor pool with waterslide , second floor patios, and fitness centre. The property now has air conditioning, property-control systems and Wi-Fi throughout. However, as of the end of April, only about 40% of the hotel is open to the public. During the next couple of weeks the hotel hopes to have most of the rooms ready.

We had the Algonquin room with high ceilings featuring a queen bed, two-drawer bedside table with lamp, in-room work area with a desk, chair and lamp, large full length mirror, 32” flatscreen televisions with complimentary movie channels, and coffee maker with coffee. We were the first to occupy the room since the resort re-opened.

There is high-speed Internet access with free WiFi, although we found the signal strength on one laptop to be only fair while the other laptop never could connect.

There is a small closet with ten hangers, an iron and ironing board and folding luggage rack. The light in the closet is automatic with sensor. There was only one bathrobe even though the resort's website says "bathrobes".

The bathroom, although small by today's standards, was very modern, brightly lit with three each of bath, hand towels and facecloths. There was no tub, just a fully-enclosed glass shower with no raised water barrier or lip enclosure. The usual complimentary shampoo, conditioner, body wash and body lotion are here as well.

Our in-room safe had no electricity so we informed the front desk. It was a simple 30-second fix (again because the room had never been occupied since renovations), but maintenance took a few hours to finally show up. The safe is barely deep enough to house a 35mm camera though.

I was expecting the Algonquin to have a grand lobby fitting its prestige and history but I was somewhat under whelmed. The front desk and lobby area look rather stark and barren. I'm not sure if they plan to have more furniture or decorations in the future. Gas fireplaces were lit throughout the lobby area giving a nice ambience. Free daily newspapers are to be found in the lobby. Also in the lobby area are games such as Scrabble, chess, bingo, Monopoly, etc. There is a small gift shop (still being filled) with free coffee and other beverages for purchase. There are free Miele Barista bicycles for use with helmets provided. The indoor swimming pool (Natatorium) has plenty of towels and a waterslide. The 24-hour fitness centre, besides its equipment, has refrigerated towels and water cooler for its users and there is a spa. The outdoor pool, tennis courts, fire pits were deserted as expected in April. The golf course had just opened.

For dining, there is the Braxton's Restaurant and Bar - a small, intimate dining room and bar next to it. Prices are a bit steep, but if you can afford to stay here the costs reflect the hotel's prestige. The decor, however, is an assault on the eye with a mishmash of patterns.

The hotel was pretty empty but most rooms will be available in the coming weeks leading up to their grand opening in June. Style and elegance with friendly and accommodating staff are the things we found at this grand old lady.

Room Tip: Back part away from elevators on higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Tim O, General Manager at The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear fuzzybearHalifax,

Thank you for taking the time to complete such a through and thoughtful review. We are very pleased to be nearing the end of an extensive makeover and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back when we are finished.

I was very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated your understanding with a few of the details; particularly the lobby décor, WIFI and in-room safe. (WIFI strength has generally been excellent since we opened. I am sorry this wasn't the case for you.) And you are correct, the lobby isn't quite complete and we expect to warm it up further - similar to the luxurious warmth of the Gallery immediately off the lobby.

Through our renovation we have worked painstakingly to respect our heritage by restoring the architecture while introducing bold new contemporary elements. Please be sure to say hello the next time you escape to picturesque Saint Andrews by-the-Sea.

Yours in Hospitality, Tim Ostrem
Chappaqua, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

We stopped at the Algonquin on a car trip back to NY. We found this property on Tripadvisor, the price was right and it was on our route. As it turns out, this place was truly amazing. The staff could not possibly been more attentive, friendly or helpful! In particular, there was a woman named Mary Beth that truly went pout of her way to help us out with all that we needed --even including watching a 3-mos old puppy while we grabbed a bite to eat. There was also a bellman named Eric that went out of his way to help in any way that he could.

The place seems to have undergone a massive restoration and is spotless and modern without losing its charm. It is right near the bay, near the village center and is quiet at night.

What started as "just a place to stay" turned into a great find and we will all be coming back with our kids.

Highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: I am sure that any room will be great
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Good afternoon gojushiho,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with the Tripadvisor community. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your visit. Mary-Beth, Eric and the team appreciated your kind words as well. I hope we have an opportunity to meet on a future visit. Please do not hesitate to let me know when you plan on returning.

Sincerely, Tim Ostrem, General Manager
The Algonquin Resort in picturesque Saint Andrews NB
Oromocto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I surprised my husband with a quick getaway at the Algonquin over easter weekend. The renovations to this historic resort are really exceptional. No expenses spared in combining the old with the new. Beautifully appointed rooms but many original features from the original hotel. The staff were outstanding, from the front desk to the servers in Braxtons restaurant. The indoor pool was spotless, huge and has very nice lounges & walls of windows providing natural light and views. The new water slide was a blast. Unfortunately, the hot tub was drained and not in service which is a bit of a bummer. The guest service staff placed a bottle of our favorite wine in our room for our arrival, and even provided correct wine glasses. This is the attention to detail they seem to pride themselves on and is very much appreciated! Breakfast in the main restaurant, Braxtons, was hit and miss. I ordered their signature Algonquin Benny, eggs benedict with lobster cakes. We were one of two tables in the whole place. Despite our server specifying how I wanted my eggs done (we heard her request in the kitchen), they were undercooked. The whole dish was under seasoned and I would not order it again. Hubby had the cinnamon bun french toast and really enjoyed it. He said that the bread was fresh and tasty.

All in all, we had a really great retreat and we will definitely be back soon. Thanks to everyone who made our visit special!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Tim O, General Manager at The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear LibelleRotts,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor community.

I am very sorry you experienced a few concerns but was happy to read that your overall stay was positive. We are working towards the full completion of our $45 million dollar renovation by the end of May and I appreciate you patience and understanding while we prepare our team to deliver an exceptional experience. Please be sure to let me know when you are returning so I may pass along personal thanks.

Tim Ostrem, General Manager
The Algonquin Resort
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

My husband, infant daughter and I stayed one night at this treasure of a property on April 12, 2014. I am pleased to report that most of the resort is open and looking fabulous after it's massive renovation, with the pub and outdoor pool being the two most notable areas still under construction.

NEW LOOK:

Firstly I must comment on the fresh look of the resort. It is absolutely beautiful, with a lovely check-in area and adjoining tiny store having complimentary freshly ground Starbucks coffee, water and fruit on the day we were there. There is loads of seating in the foyer outside of Braxton's Bar (formerly The Library restaurant) and a computer rotunda outside of Braxton's Restaurant (formerly the gift shop). This entire area is warm and inviting for guests. The updated carpet and light fixtures in the ballrooms ensure that this resort remains the top choice for celebrating special occasions in New Brunswick. Very classy and elegant, as always.

Guest rooms are furnished with a modern look, but did maintain that special historic feel with old St. Andrews photos framed in the room. Old shower/bathtubs have been updated to large custom showers, and previous hardwood flooring has been tastefully carpeted. Our room was in the "old" section of the building, which has always been my favourite section. This area has been updated with air conditioning in each room. Note for the ladies: I did test out the hair dryer on my long hair and found it to be adequately powerful!

The new Braxton's Bar and Restaurant are simply gorgeous, with oversized chairs having the most beautiful fabric. The bar side offered a welcoming laid back atmosphere, and the fine dining restaurant side was exquisite.

NEW ADDITION:

The Lazy Croft Garden has been exchanged for a fabulous new fitness facility, including a gym, indoor pool, hot tub, and water slide! What a great addition! My husband and I just loved the water slide. It actually gave me a thrill as it is somewhat dark inside, with the twists and turns creeping up very fast as I quickly slid down!

THE FOOD:

I must say that I am impressed with the new menus...and I love to eat! At lunch I enjoyed the fish tacos, and for dinner the filet mignon...which was cooked to perfection (medium-rare as I like). The breakfast menu offered a ton of options. I want to go back just to sample more from it! I did try the ricotta blueberry pancakes, and Greek yogurt with Algonquin honey (from their own beehive) and fruit. I just loved my pancakes and the chocolate butter they were served with. Scrumptious!

SERVICE:

I am so pleased to say the service remains top-knotch. We were greeted by a kilt-clad young man who helped us with our luggage and parked our SUV as we checked in. The front desk staff were friendly and speedy at getting us into our room. At Braxton's, again we encountered engaging staff knowledgable about their menus (both food and drink). As we dined, we did have our infant with us, and staff were extremely accommodating for her. She did require us to have our dessert in our room and our waiter did not hesitate to bring our dessert up to us once it was ready.

Overall I am so pleased that this resort has maintained its charm post-renovation! I have visited The Algonquin several times over the past 15 years and am so happy to see it being well looked after. My family will continue to make this gem of a property an frequent destination.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
NCHR, Director of Sales at The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us and for your detailed review! We are so glad you enjoyed the 'Reimagined' Algonquin..

Hope to see you again soon,

Denise Bradbury

Been to The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection

Address: 184 Adolphus Street, Saint Andrews, New Brunswick E5B 1T7, Canada
Location: Canada > New Brunswick > Saint Andrews
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Saint Andrews
The Algonquin is one of Canada's most luxurious and legendary resorts. Rich in history, meticulously restored to its original splendour, and complete with every modern comfort you could desire, this year-round destination truly offers the best of the past with contemporary amenities. The iconic building and its grounds are an oasis. Elegant guest rooms, contemporary dining, indoor and outdoor pools, waterslide, a pampering spa, private beach, manicured gardens, and cocktails on our historic veranda add up to a vacation to savour and remember. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Marriott, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Venere, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews By-The-Sea, Autograph Collection Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada

If you own or manage The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.