“Management Nonresponsive” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added St. Andrews Motor Inn to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
St. Andrews Motor Inn
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   111 Water Street St., Saint Andrews, New Brunswick E5B 1A3 , Canada   |
Ranked #5 of 9 hotels in Saint Andrews
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Management Nonresponsive”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on the St Andrews by the Sea waterfront in late September. The price was $150 and the room did feature an outdoor balcony with a view of the harbor. The room also featured bedbugs, We discovered them scuttling in the beds in the middle of the night. While packing up we saw numbers of them..adults and young, and also, too late, noticed the telltale black staining on the side of one of the mattresses..Upon checking out around 4 am I informed the night manager, then followed up with an e-mail letter seeking partial reimbursement of our out of pocket expenses [items such as luggage that could not reasonably be heated or frozen]. Lastly I sent a postal letter to the hotel. Zero response. The bugs were a costly and itchy [and disgusting] inconvienence but we recognized from the start that they are a difficult problem for hotels to fight. What really appalled us was that the hotel did not even respond to our alert of this problem. It is that total lack of response, so that there is no rason to think they have corrected the problem, that prompted me to warn others.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Quispamsis, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Cozy place to stay with a great view. Nice size pool. Kids loved it. Very easy going staff. Try it you will be satisfied.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Homestead, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

My wife and I spent two days here, in one of their suites. We had wanted a simple room, but none were available and we were quite happy about it. The hotel is older, but in top condition, our room had two beds and a complete kitchen. Indeed it was more like an apartment with a great view than a motel room. All and I stress all the hotel staff that we met were helpful and friendly. When they saw that I had heavy bags to lug in and out they insisted on hauling some of them for me.
The only thing I wish I had known in advance, was the size of the place and the fact that you could make your own meals. And we would go back easily, the town is small but very pretty and calls out for a longer visit.

Room Tip: Get a suite on the lower floor, then you can walk out and watch the tide flow in and out at your eas...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Erie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

Room was very well done for a 3 star, was clean and a little older than the
newer motels.
The nice balcony and the view was priceless, sunset people, " This is your spot".

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed at the Inn for 3 nights, nine of us, 5 teens, 4 adults. You can't beat the views, changing every moment. Location is great - the kids could wander into town whenever they wanted to - everything was in walking distance. This is our 5th time staying there - nothing fancy, but works out great for us each time!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

We booked this hotel to stay one night on our way to another destination. We have never posted a review before so that should tell you how horrible this place was. Dirty and smelly would be a compliment in describing this place. Felt like room hadn't been cleaned for months....just passed along from one guest to another. The fact that they charge what they do is robbery. Even our three young boys felt it was beyond worth sleeping at. Do not even consider this place as a stopover location or otherwise. BRUTAL.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Waterdown, Ontario Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

This was our first time in St. Andrews and I booked our accommodations online from back in Ontario. Unfortunately the photos of the hotel online look much nicer than the real thing. One look at the lobby had me wishing it wasn't too late in the evening to get back in the car and search for another place to stay. Tired and weary I thought I would just take a look at the room and if it wasn't too bad the four of us (two adults, two teens 13, 15) would just bear it for the night.
The room at first appeared to be clean (it was dark) so we brought everything in and settled for the night knowing there was no where else to go.
The attendant at the front desk spoke the bare minimum and had me sign the hotel agreement which was a rate of $149.00 for two queen beds per night before taxes. The front door of the inn was propped wide open with a rock and was like that for the duration of our stay. The lobby carpet and furniture was well worn and looked either faded or dirty or both. The walls were dingy old panelling and there was an odor of wet dog. The laundry room door was open into the lobby and the machines were running. This room looked like a roughed in old store room with unfinished walls and ceiling and it bothered me that all of the clean linens were stored there.
The main door to our room had a stick-on number and the key was like one I would buy as an extra at the hardware store. The door locks were poor and there was an extra latch lock on the back like one you see in stalls on washroom doors. For this reason there was really no security as my kids could have likely kicked in these doors when locked at night. The beds were okay (sealey posturepedic as advertised) but not what I would expect for $149/night. They had to be at least 20 years old or more. We have seen much better for a lot less. The sheets were clean but I actually had to check both beds for bugs as my daughter saw one running across the floor. I found several long hairs on a couple of the pillows. The comforters and blankets were really outdated and I wasn't sure of their cleanliness. The first washcloth I found was actually light green with bleach stains and pink lint. The other "hotel white" towels and cloths were perfectly fine. The fridge in the room was dirty and outdated like the TV and everything else. Also, most surprising is that there was no phone in the room! The sink had cracks in the basin and the vanity doors were very dirty. There are too many details to mention so I suggest maybe you look at the photos attached.
The pool is another area that needs some tlc. The cement is cracked and peeling and looks dirty even if it is not. We noticed several construction workers/trades staying at the hotel and were told that they often stay there for extended periods. The hotel does not have enough parking so we were forced to park on the street but told that the town doesn't ticket cars parked out there so not to worry.
The location and view is the only thing this hotel has going for it. You are able to see the water from your room and you are on the main street within walking distance of several shops and restaurants. Apparently as told by a local, the owner of this inn also owns the Kennedy Inn and several other properties including restaurants in the community. After visiting some of these other locations it is apparent that he/she is not prepared to put money into the upkeep of the facilities. When you stay at the Motor Inn you are referred to the Kennedy Inn/Shire town Pub for your meals and offered a 10% discount. Overall, this Motor Inn rates as one of the worst we have ever stayed at over the years including campgrounds, drive-in motels, etc... There are several quaint motels in town that would have likely been in better shape and cleaner but we discovered them too late. In hindsight I should have booked the Fairmont Algonquin and paid the extra money. The lovely town of St. Andrews is really being hurt by this place as I doubt most people will stay a second time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to St. Andrews Motor Inn? Share your experiences!