“Good For Overnight Stay After Rama Concert” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn Champlain Waterfront

You added Rodeway Inn Champlain Waterfront to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn Champlain Waterfront
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Front Street N., Orillia, Ontario L3V 4R5, Canada (Formerly Quality Hotel Champlain Waterfront)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Orillia
Ontario, Canada
“Good For Overnight Stay After Rama Concert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

We stayed at this hotel early March and used the chain's points to stay. It was a Saturday night and the hotel was surprisingly quiet, as was the whole downtown/bars etc. The King Room was small but very comfortable. The heat, tv and wireless internet all worked well. Breakfast was better than we would expect and had bacon, eggs, waffles, fruit, cereal, juice, tea and coffee. The morning desk lady, Jen, was cheerful, pleasant and informative telling us about the hotel's history from the 1930's (it's been renovated) when it hosted many of the big stars of the day. She even offered to start a disabled guest's vehicle for him on such a cold morning and took out his luggage. It's nice to see that kind of care!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
gm_cn542, Manager at Rodeway Inn Champlain Waterfront, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Dear Ms. Niloc,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a great review! We are thrilled to hear that you had a quiet and comfortable stay with us and that our front desk staff, Jen, was able to make you feel at home. Our front desk team takes great pride in going above and beyond their way to provide friendly service to our guests. I have shared your comments with Jen and she was really happy to hear them! We look forward to hosting you again during your next visit to Orillia!!

Jas G.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Waterloo, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Smallest hotel room I’ve ever seen, lousy breakfast, shoddy internet – 3/10

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
gm_cn542, Manager at Rodeway Inn Champlain Waterfront, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Dear Mr. Bensangle,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. I am very sorry to hear that you feel the way you do about our hotel. I agree, the rooms are smaller than modern new constructed hotels as our building was first constructed in the early 1930’s and hence is considered a historic building of Orillia. Similar to a European style hotel, we have been complimented on the quaintness and the convenient location our hotel is located in. We do have rare situations where our internet goes down, but if and when a guest lets the desk know, we do everything possible, including restarting the whole system and calling our tech support to fix the problem as soon as possible, as we understand the importance of the internet these days for our guests. We also have the tech support no. in the rooms to help you make the process faster. I would also like to let you know that ownership along with the management has recently changed at the hotel and we continue to improve everyday in every area to make our guests visits more welcoming and enjoyable. We hope you will visit us again sometime and see some positive changes being made.

Richmond Hill, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

The quality Champlain Hotel in Orillia is in a convenient location where is near the downtown. The staffs are very nice and helpful. They did try to help with requests a fridge room. I hope I don’t need to ask them every week when I am back the hotel. Although the room is small, it is clean. Also the bed is comfortable. I enjoyed breakfast there but it is better if there are some sausages or bacon. Only thing bothered me is loud A/C noise.

Room Tip: Don't close the stair.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Dear Ms. Rosemary,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. The front desk team at our hotel takes great pride in providing a friendly and welcoming service to all our guests. It's great to hear that you felt the same about them. Our hotel is the only hotel in Orillia located in the midst of downtown which is surrounded with lots of great restaurants and shopping stores. The lake is also right behind our building and is steps away. We are very glad that the location of our hotel was suitable to your needs. We do provide our guests with their requests whenever it is possible such as the fridge room in your case. We continue to work everyday on things that we need improvement on. We look forward to hosting you again at your next visit to Orillia.
Tillsonburg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

The Quality Hotel Champlain Waterfront in Orillia is in an excellent location in terms of being near the downtown. The staff is very helpful and even before our arrival I received an e-mail indicating my request for a ground floor room( there are no elevators) was not available. I then called them and we came up with a solution. Check in was smooth. Parking was available.
The room was small . The K-bed was very comfortable and the bathroom had been recently renovated. I should have requested a fridge- assumed every room had one.

My complaint is with the cleanliness of the room. Staff immediately addressed the issue of potato chip crumbs in the dresser drawer.
The place really needs a "deep" cleaning especially the carpets, the bathroom floor and walls and the toilet. It seems no one really checks before guests move into the room.

The CEO of Choice Hotels was recently on Undercover Boss. He needs to review this property himself . Being a historic building and located in the heart of Orillia, it should be in pristine condition ready to welcome all visitors to this lovely town. I had read the many negative reviews prior to booking but decided to make up my own mind. There is "hope" for this hotel but someone has to take the bull by the horns. Small rooms are not a problem but unclean rooms are. I would gladly return to this property if I knew my room was totally clean.

The downtown is a nice place for strolling and shopping especially on a weekend like the Beatles Celebration, which just completed the 5th annual event. Many quaint shops and a visit to the Mariposa Market is absolute.

There are many nice restaurants and we were more than pleased with Era' 67 just past the beautiful Opera House. The food and staff were outstanding. Our dining experience at this location was the highlight of our visit to Orillia.

So I challenge CHOICE properties to indeed live up to its name of QUALITY!

Room Tip: The third floor - away from the bar located next to the hotel.(their music is loud)
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
gm_cn542, Manager at Rodeway Inn Champlain Waterfront, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
Thankyou Beatlesfan for your feedback after staying at our hotel. I am very sorry to hear about what you felt when you stayed here. I would like to inform you that the ownership and management has recently changed at the hotel and we are continuously trying to improve everyday.
We have made some changes since you stayed here. The rooms are continually being cleaned thoroughly now, the staff is being re-trained, the carpets of the hallways have recently been steam cleaned and the exterior of the hotel has been painted. We are continuously trying our best to get up to the standards our guests deserve. Once again, we are sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay, however, we do hope you will return to stay with us in the near future and see some positive changes being made.
Woodstock Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I wasted a ton of rewards for a king Jacuzzi suite in this no water front dump. You are just as close to the water when you are in the middle of the Sahara. We arrived late and just wanted to rest. The parking is behind a bar in front of a row of stinking dumpsters replete with a welcoming cast of skunks. You enter the hotel through the back door trundle up and down stairs until you arrive at the Lobby breakfast area. Breakfast runs until 10 but but they stopped serving food at 9:25 and be prepared to clean off your table. The room - our oasis from the world was dank musty and if you can imagine in the basement. They would have charged us $219 for this room. The air was on but marginally effective and a fan on the floor ran constantly. our breathtaking view was of a rusted old grill through the window well- had it rained i am sure it we would have actually seen water.
The Suite portion if you will was four totally separate rooms - a bathroom that was functional but worn, a sitting room with a table and two chairs so stained i would not even set luggage on them, a bed room and a two person jacuzzi tub room all in a row you could not see one room from another it was a bizarre layout.
The bed was clean so we stayed the night and will never go back. The corporate side of quality inn need to see this place, the description is down right fraudulent and the standards are below $50 motel rooms. Not at all what i would expect from this chain.

Room Tip: Go some where else
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
gm_cn542, Owner at Rodeway Inn Champlain Waterfront, responded to this review, March 22, 2012
Thankyou so much for your feedback about our hotel. I am very sorry to hear you had an unsatisfactory experience while staying here last year. I would like to inform you that the ownership as well as the management has changed here since the last time you stayed at our hotel and we are trying our best to improve this historic hotel of Orillia every single day. We have made some renovations like the back and front entrance of the hotel are now painted, the carpets and rooms have been deep cleaned, the staff are being trained and retrained all the time for cleanliness of the hotel and we plan to make many more similar improvements in the near future. I agree there are stairs but this hotel is considered a historic landmark of Orillia. Many people compliment us for the quaintness and the location (in midst of downtown) of this hotel. I know you had a less than satisfactory experience and I apologize for the same, however, I hope you will visit us again sometime, stay in one of our upstairs rooms (some of which do have a view), enjoy our comfortable beds and your visit and see some positive changed made for yourself.

G.S.
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

*On booking (on-line) I requested a room near an elevator. I do not need to take up a disabled room, but i have problems with stairs and I knew I would be traveling with a significant amount of luggage ... I arrived to be given a room down 15 stairs from the lobby !!!!!!

I asked where the elevator was and was told they do not have one ---- I complained and asked them to look at my request if they did not have an elevator why did they not contact me--- I was told that this was my responsibility and I should always call in advance. * I never imagined in the 21st Century that a ‘modern’ hotel on multi levels would be without an elevator. *be aware*

=to be fair some good points

comfortable bed
staff did try to help with requests
$99 a night in July is not bad in Orillia
breakfast -great they had Tetley tea !! just a shame there were only 3 small tables for the whole hotel

=negaitive points

No phone signal- those of us in the basement had no phone signal no matter who your provider and so also no wi fi !
No ice or vending machines in the basement
THE SMELL - outside was grim, our room also had an awful aroma and it was not like we could open a window, being in the basement we had to been the curtains closed at all times as we looked onto a pavement.
The room was tiny and although refurbished there was little room for luggage and hanging clothes.
The Noise-the hotel is down town and I knew this when I booked and so no complaints but there was some noise during the evening with young folk who i guess had a good time next door in the night club.

You get what you pay fo

Room Tip: no phone signal in the basement rooms
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Rodeway Inn Champlain Waterfront? Share your experiences!