“If you know your Indian food - stay away” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #39 of 123 Restaurants in Orillia
Cuisines: Indian
Canada
“If you know your Indian food - stay away”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I'm really surprised at the positive reviews. I've been here three times, just to give it a chance.

I've hit a lot of Indian restaurants in my time. This place doesn't even come close. Best alternative is to head to "Curry in a Hurry" in Barrie.

Orillia needs a decent Indian restaurant - this is not it unfortunately.

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

north of Toronto
“Aladdin is consistently good food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I judge a restaurant by the quality of the food, foremost, and then by the service of the employees. Once you are in the doors of Aladdin, the scent of curry and basmati carry you away to somewhere else. The food here is consistently good. This is a difficult thing to say about a lot of restaurants, but honestly, I can say this about Aladdin!! I enjoy Indian food and have had some very good food in Indian communities in Canadian and American cities, in England and Scotland where Tikka Masala is the national dish, and in France and Italy.

We regularly enjoy take away meals consisting of the best samosas you will ever eat, succulent and spicy lamb vindaloo, and fragrant chicken tikka masala. Their pakoras are excellent, the biryani is excellent, the butter chicken is excellent. Tonight we had beef vindaloo - once again, an excellent meal. The naan is baked as you order it so it comes to you piping hot and very fresh.

I live 40 kms from Orillia, but when I am there I always call to place an order. Abdul is very friendly, very generous, and very proud to serve you quality food for a great price. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone who enjoys savoury Indian fare.

Thanks Abdul!!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Best Indian Food Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

I have had Indian food in many different countries. However this is the best I have ever had. It is the best mix between authentic back home Indian food and modern Americanized Indian food. The service is very home oriented and the food is fresh. The restaurant is not extremely famous now but has the potential to become the best. I always enjoy their butter chicken, garlic naan, and chicken tikka masala!

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Guelph
“Skip this one”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

I wish I could give this place a better review because an Indian restaurant up north of Barrie would be nice. But I just can't. The advertisements look promising, but the restaurant is in a sketchy part of town, attached on one side to an old night club, and on the other a convenience store. The restaurant itself is a small, cheap, old looking place with a small buffet. I eat indian food all the time, all over the place, and this was a disappointment. I had the lunch buffet. The dishes appeared to be made in a hurry, with very little originality. I liken it to making chicken at home by using some curry gravy from a package and just throwing it over chicken that you picked up at the local supermarket. I was there at about 1:30 pm and it appeared that the food had been left out for a while, and much of it was dried out. They did serve a HUGE chunk of Naan, but it wasn't the best Naan I've had. I don't think the owners are passionate about indian food. Unless their a la carte food is much better, I 'd say skip this one and head down to Barrie where there is a very good one downtown.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Mid-Ontario
“Aladdin Indian Cuisine and Banquet Hall- an asset to Orillia Ontario”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

Our third visit to Aladdin, taking friends. The onion pakora is good, the beef samosa yummy, the chicken tikka masala was tasty, the butter chicken was even better, the aloo gobi was good, and the yellow daal tarka was a little bland. The entrees were supposed to be served with chutney and naan, the naan was good and plentiful but they forgot the chutney, butl. I'm sure it was just an oversight. The basmati was good, so was the price. The decor is presumably a work in progress, but the food is far better now than it used to be. The only other place for curry in Orillia is Grovers on a Thursday, or on request.

• Visited September 2011