“New owners, pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza & Pasta, Bistro
Good for: Romantic, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Orillia
“New owners, pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2015

We went as a group of approximately 25 people last week and had a delicious buffet Italian meal. The restaurant had changed ownership recently and the server and chef were very friendly and provided excellent service. This restaurant may go unnoticed because it is in the Best Western Hotel on Atherley Road by the Narrows in Orillia. The restaurant is attractive with crisp linen tablecloths and candles on all the tables. The fresh vegetables were cooked to perfection. The Caesar salad was one of the best I've ever tasted. The minestrone soup was delicious too. The breaded chicken was very tender and there were a good variety of pasta dishes.

I plan on going back there again soon.

• Visited March 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Lindsay, Canada
“Great Food, Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2015

Last weekend we enjoyed an excellent dinner of rib steak and large shrimp. Service excellent. A very pleasant young lady looked after us very well. Came by with the standard " how is your meal? " however she really seemed to mean it. Nice evening, Will go back. Ron & Kathy G.

• Visited February 2015
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Collingwood, Canada
“Not Quite”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2015

Maybe I ordered the wrong thing or the server didn't understand about food sensitivity issues (even though I explained and requested specifics). It all got botched up. She did offer to replace my meal and I felt guilty and didn't want to cause trouble and ended up with huge indigestion and tummy troubles all night long. A lesson for both of us. Not real Italian food, or cooked by someone not trained. Not eating there again.

• Visited March 2015
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ajax, Canada
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2015

We were holed up in the conference room for months and finally gave in to try out the Portage Bistro. The aroma was so inviting.
It did not disappoint when we tried. Succulent juicy Prime Rib. Mouth watering Seafood linguine.. yummy!

Visited February 2015
Kingston, Canada
“Horrible for room service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2014

I was staying in the BW and decided to order room service from their menu. When the gentleman answered the phone, I asked to order room service, he replied "Look, it's going to be 45 minutes at least"

I said that was fine and asked if I could order the Shrimp Risotto (they didn't have any) I asked for the Portage sharing platter (they didn't have any) I asked for the mussels (they didn't have any). I asked for the chicken parmesan (they didn't have any).

I then asked what they did have, and perhaps I'd choose from what they had available, since their menu seemed to be outdated.

He said "look, I'm busy and I don't have time to read you a menu, come down and order" I declined.

I was far from impressed. If I'd wanted to eat in the restaurant I wouldn't call room service. I stay in Orillia every week, it's too bad the Portage won't be getting my money.

• Visited December 2014