“You get what you pay for...” 3 of 5 stars

1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   265 Memorial Ave., Orillia, Ontario L3V 5X8, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Orillia
Toronto, Canada
“You get what you pay for...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

If you want decent prices, lower your expectations. If you want a snazzy, spic and span hotel, go somewhere else. This hotel is reasonable and the location is great.

We had no serious problems with the hotel, the free breakfast looked like it was limited to donuts and bread of some sort, both of which have no appeal to us so we skipped it both days we were there. Fruits would be nice next time :)

The carpet was seriously sandy and needed a good vacuum so I bought sandals at the dollar store next door to walk around in. I think the manager should be following up on this tid bit....

Also, the comforters seemed like they needed a good wash as well. I took them off the beds both days we were there and kept them on the chair. As I'm not a fan of sharing comforters and it's known that hotels/motels don't wash the top spread as often as they should.

We had rooms 127 and 129, both locks on the outside didn't work and our cards needed to be rescanned at the front desk about three to four times, each. Plus, the toilet and one of the rooms didn't work very well. But these are all minor matters.

All in all, I would go back to this hotel as I know what to expect, it was a decent rate and a great location.

Note that the picture of the hotel itself is outdated, the hotel is much more run down than it shows but all it really needs is a good paint job and it'd look new again.

SIDE NOTE: The mechanic directly across the street (who shares a driveway with the restaurant) fixed our back light on our truck for $10, can't complain there!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I booked 2 NON-SMOKING rooms at this establishment. This review is based solely on my room - #225. I'll get to the other room later.

When we opened the door to our room, I was welcomed by a cold blast of air. YAY the AC was working. A little too cold for comfort, I turned it up 6 digits and a weird unpleasant (but tolerable) stench was escaping the AC. My guess is the filter needs to be replaced.

Then, slowly but surely, a residual scent of cigarette smoke suddenly appeared in the air. I realize now the extremely cold air was actually able to mask it so we couldn't smell it upon entering the room. I should've said something at this point but I knew all the rooms were booked so there was no chance of another room. As I usually do, I didn't complain and decided to just live with it until tomorrow morning, even if I was getting a headache from the awful smell.

We left for Casino Rama and came back late enough that I didn't care about the smell but more about getting a good night sleep for our long trip back home the next morning. To make it bearable, I had to keep the AC on so the stench wasn't so obvious.

The next morning, my sister came in and said 'Your room stinks. I feel bad for you guys' and invited us to their room until our departure.

Wow, what a contrast. Their room was ODOURLESS, the way our room should've been. Worth what I PAID FOR!

If not for the disgusting odour, this would've been a much more positive review. I just WISH I didn't get duped to pay for a non-smoking room when it clearly wasn't. They could've warned me before beforehand so that I could've decided to cancel the booking and bunked in room 226 and let smokers take the room.

I'm home now. My hair and all my clothes stink.

That room needs to be aired out/re-carpeted/re-painted before taking any more guests.
It makes for such a disappointing experience for any non-smokers out there.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 225 because you'll come home smelling like cigarette smoke.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stayed last weekend at the Econo lodge orillia & we had a wonderful experience.
This property has done some major renovations & me & family were very impressed especially with new bedding and 32' LED TV.
They have added some healthy choices for breakfast that was bonus & staff very approachable & very friendly.
Thank you Econo Lodge we will be back soon.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms seemed to be more roomier
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

The staff were cooperative, good hospitality,clean environment. The hotel itself was very nice, the location was perfect, the staff were very friendly. Above all the hotel was the best to stay.the rooms were tidy, good communication within the staff and the customer.

• Stayed June 2014
Ontario Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Friendly, co-operative staff is a plus but this hotel is very tired looking and owners should give it some TLC. Carpeting in halls looked dirty with strange smell of some kind and those in room had long light coloured hairs all over the floor...looked like dog hairs not vacuumed up. Room window dirty on outside making it difficult to even see out. Bathroom looked and smelled clean but fan didn't work. Bed pillows were grey, crumpled and flat.....however housekeeping replaced them with fluffy white pillows and cases. Bedspread stained and quickly removed from bed. However bed very comfortable resulting in a good sleep. Breakfast was the basic carbo selection of donuts, toast, bagels and drinks.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Nice lobby; clean hotel all around; very friendly and helpful staff; nice breakfast area; perfect location. Close to restaurants and casino Rama. Reservation and check in was efficient. Check out was equally quick and easy. Good value and would highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2014
Penetanguishene, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Room was good for price paid. Fan in bathroom did not work, so had to leave door open to vent moisture. Advertise breakfast, but a little disappointing. Toast, muffins and bagels only items available, as well as coffee, tea and orange juice.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!