“beautiful Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Orillia
Toronto, Canada
“beautiful Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Last weekend on our way to Toronto from Sudbury our 2 boys were tired so we called a night at Econolodge Orillia. We were very much impressed with this little property from their rooms to service & were very satisfied with some healthy choices they had to offer for breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Let me preface this review by saying I'm a pretty low maintenance girl. I was looking for an economical way to spend one night in Orillia before I was starting a course. When I first looked at all the reviews of this place it looked really decent and I thought it was a great price, so I booked it, thinking I had done enough research that I would be fine. I could NOT have been MORE WRONG.

When I booked, I paid $95 specifically to get a hotel room on the 2nd floor (for safety). When I arrived, they gave me a room worth $85 on the main floor of the hotel. When I inquired, the lady at the front desk had no idea what I was talking about and said that I had paid for a regular room at $85 - basically saying I was lying. If I had the wherewithal to argue with her, I would've shown her my credit card statement and pulled up the website where it specifically states the difference in the rooms. Moving on.

This hotel is horrible. The first room (yes, the first room), I was given had a VERY strong odor. I believe if I had to name it, it would be Indian food. The room was generally not clean. Albeit the entire hotel has "no smoking" signs up, the whole hotel smells of smoke covered up by the orange scented air fresheners they have trying to drowned out the smell. It is enough to give you a migraine. When I opened the blinds of this room, they directly looked out to the pathway and doorway that people use to get to the back parking lot. Every time I looked out this window, there were people smoking there. In this room, the comforters were stained (I should've taken a picture of this as well, but wasn't at the forefront of my mind at the time), the iron had fabric or something burned into it (so it was unusable), and the bathroom was extremely dingy. Not to mention, there were two doors on the inside of this room that I did not have the keys for. I wasn't comfortable with this. The last straw was when I went to leave for dinner and came to find out that the door didn't lock behind me. No matter how many times I tried it, it wouldn't lock.

When I first found out the room smelled so strongly, I asked her to switch me, to which her response was "we are fully booked". Twenty minutes later when I told her my door lock wasn't working and I was not ok with this, miraculously she had cancellations and put me into another room on the main floor.

The second room was no better. This room had two queen beds, and a HUGE window with a massive crack in it. Not to mention a door leading to the outside of the property.

I could probably go on forever about this place. I rarely get burned on trying to find a deal, but this is the last time I will ever try and save some cash on a hotel booking. DO NOT STAY HERE. You were warned. Spend the extra $50 and upgrade to something down the street - the Holiday Inn I hear was beautiful.

I have never written a review this strongly but please head my warning. I stayed there the one night because I had to, but would never go back and NEVER recommend to anyone. I have never wondered, "Am I going to get lice?". This place will do that to you.

Room Tip: There are none. Unfortunately.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Econo L, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Your comments assist us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your concerns and issues will be addressed with the housekeeping and maintenance department. We hope you will give us another opportunity to have you as our guest in the future.
Darlene Allen
Operations Manager
Combermere, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Sorry, but never again could I bring myself to stay at the Econo Lodge in Orillia. I've never seen an entrance loaded with so much gritty salt as this property. Granted, it is still winter but don't most places sweep the front step at least every few days? The most un-appealing thing about the front entry was the planter outside the door with dozens of cigarette buts laying in the dirt.

While the lobby was clean and the young lady on the desk was efficient in checking me in, the stairs and hallway to my room were filthy. Sand everywhere including along the floor where it meets the walls at the baseboard. I don't think anyone has used a vacuum nozzle in months to clean the floor.

Inside my room, same thing. accumulated sand and debris along the baseboard and numerous 'bits' of white something that hadn't been vacuumed up on the floor.

I pulled back the sheets to reveal hair and a stain on the pillow case.

When I opened the drapes I was met with an eighths of an inch of black, wet mold along the bottom of the window. Below that, it appeared the grill on the heating/cooling unit hadn't been cleaned since the hotel was built.

Back to the front desk to get the attendant to accompany me to the room so I could show her the filth and dirt. I then asked that she have someone vacuum my floor and clean the mold off the window and heater. When told she would put me in another room, I asked to see that room. More filth on the heating unit and window.

I told her I would go out for a couple hours till she had my room cleaned. Upon my return, she had kept her promise and the window was clean and so was the grill on the heater. I wonder why their housekeeping staff couldn't do that routinely? Hmmm?

The sofa had two large brown stains which certainly didn't make it very inviting.

The bathroom was extremely clean but somewhat dated although not as dated as the headboard in knotty pine from the 1960s. There was plenty of hot water.

Throughout the hallway and my room there was a strange smell and throughout the night there was a very low humming noise that came and went and kept me awake till after 2:00 AM.

When asked how my stay was upon checkout, I again expressed my disappointment with the property indicating that this was the filthiest Canadian property I've ever been in. I thought a partial refund would have been in order but didn't push the issue.

From what I could see, this is an extremely tired property operated by people who do not seem to understand the meaning of clean. According to the business card at the front desk, this property is run by Kensington Hospitality Inc.

If you must stay at this property, ask for room 223. At least its had the window mold removed and the heater grill cleaned.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Econo L, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Mr. Waddington,

Thank you for your recent stay with Econolodge Orillia.
We are disappointed to hear that your stay was not to your satisfaction, please accept our apologies on behalf of our Staff & Management.

Thank you for bringing the concerns of your room to our attention. On the date that you stayed our front desk staff did offer to switch you rooms and at your request re cleaned the room you had to make your stay more enjoyable.

Thank you again for your patronage. We have refunded 50 % of your stay back to the credit card provided for the booking. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future to give us the opportunity to better serve you.

Operations Manager
Darlene Allen
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

My husband and I spent the weekend of March 5 2014 in the King spa room. We had a wonderful time as, not only were we able to smoke in the room, we were also allowed to bring our pets at no extra cost. The hotel and room were very clean and nice. The staff extremely friendly and helpful. Close to Rama too! Who could ask for anything more??

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Stouffville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I have been here many, many times, and I have to tell you this hotel just keeps getting better! We had a wonderful, neat and clean, comfortable room for a steal of a price, and we couldn't have been happier! As a matter of fact, my daughter had a room at the Days Inn, same night and I have to say our room here at the Econo Lodge was just as nice!(They paid twice as much!)
There have been many renovations done here, looks great, highly recommended!

Room Tip: Always book your room on-line and always book using CAA!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Econo L, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. Our goal is to maintain consistency in our standards. By receiving such kind comments we feel great pride and accomplishment in serving all our Econo Lodge guests. We will continue to strive to provide excellent service and comfortable accommodations. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Thanks,

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed at the Econo Lodge for one night. We were going to a concert and thought that we would make it a night.
The not so good stuff:

I realize that the amount of snow that has fallen is not their problem, and that there really isn't a lot of space to load all that snow into.. but There were 2 snowmobile trailers and at least 8 or more snowmobiles taking up parking spots where there were already far to few because of the snow- ended up parking where I really shouldn't have been and glad I didn't get hit.
The room itself was lacking in a few areas.. it was a room with an in room whirlpool- which was quite beautiful. Unfortunately, that was pretty much the best thing about the room... the tv could not be watched comfortably from the couch. The room was freezing when we arrived and I couldn't seem to get warm for most of the night(hence what a waste of the whirlpool) The bed had a flat sheet lying across the king sized bed and I tend to toss at night, so needless to say, I woke up directly on the mattress and there was regular sized pillow case on one of the 2 king sized pillows and the pillow quality wasn't great. The mattress was comfortable
Some peeling paper and cracks, but that is reasonable in an older building and was not excessive.

The good stuff:

The room itself was very clean, lots of towels and soap, shampoo etc., the staff appeared to be very nice and were happy to help with directions etc. ( I did not mention any of this to the staff as it was mostly too late once I realized, with the exception of the parking issue.

There is a continental breakfast with toast donuts, muffins, coffee, juice and some other items included in the room fee.The price for the room was reasonable for the area and time of year.

A few small changes and this room could be much more functional and comfortable.
I didn't expect anything fancy, but I do expect basics such as sheets and pillow cases to be of a minimum level in a rented room. Maybe queen rooms don't have this issue.

If you go here, just be sure that you have realistic expectations and you will be fine.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Econo L, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, February 13, 2014

Thank you for your recent stay with Econolodge Orillia.

Thank you for bringing the inroom heating concerns to our attention. This matter will certainly be rectified immediately, but if you had informed us upon your check- in we would have rectified it immediately because our commitment is to your satisfaction.
In regards to car parking as you must be aware this season we have received significant amount of snow & we can not control mother nature.
But I am glad to hear your room was well cleaned with plenty of supplies.

Thank you again for your patronage. We look forward to welcoming you back to Econolodge Orillia.

Brampton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We arrived in a snow storm, the front steps were covered with snow. The floor was very slippery. Our room was cold, snow was coming in under the door. There were no spare blankets in the room. The room heater had been turned on to full heat, thanks for that. The room could have used some updating a little tired & has had lots of use. The mattress was well used, very broken in!! Pillow cases were to small for pillows. The tiles on the bathroom floor were loose. Why can't they get makeup mirrors in all hotel bathrooms, for those of us that wear glasses would be so Nice! The breakfast was skimpy, so we went somewhere else.

Room Tip: Take extra blankets, or don't go in winter! don't expect breakfast
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent stay with Econolodge Orillia.

Thank you for bringing the Linens & heating concerns to our attention. This matter will certainly be rectified immediately, but if you had informed us upon your check- in we would have rectified it immediately because our commitment is to your satisfaction.

Econo Lodge Orillia

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!