“What the heck happened here!!!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Orillia Highwayman Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Woodside Drive, Orillia, Ontario L3V 6T4, Canada   |
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Orillia
Toronto, Canada
“What the heck happened here!!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We have been to the Hghwayman Inn 4 times before and this time was NOT a good experience.... We were so disappointed... We arrived at 2:15>>> and I realize we are not supposed to check in until 3 but we were told to go away for a COUPLE of hours???? Really??? We also asked about late check out and we were told we had to cal in the morning??? What is the point if you cannot sleep in and have to call in the morning... You should not advertise it if you cannot do it... Irealize there are extenuating circumstances but this is the second time this happened...... We did get it but was not impressed by the attitude we received,....We came back at 3:30 and were checked in nonproblem.. QAll was wellunitl about 2:30 AM when there were people yelling in the halls... and arguments going on and doors slamming?????? NOT IMPRESSED!!!!!!.... It was NOT a good experience this time... and we are surprised as we always use the Highwayman Inn when we come up for a show ... but will surely think twice before we book again....

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HighwaymanOrillia, Manager at Orillia Highwayman Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
I greatly appreciate your taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay at the Highwayman Inn & Conference Centre in Orillia, ON. I understand you experienced some disappointment in contrast to your previous stays. I do sincerely apologize. I have shared your comments with our staff and I am confident we can meet and exceed your expectations in the future. I hope that when you are visting Orillia again you will give us the opportunity to correct our previous shortfalls and regain your trust here at the Highwayman Inn.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Lindsay, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Description: The sheets and pillow cases were clean. THE ONLY THING CLEAN IN THE ROOM
The mattress was so old and stains of something on sides and popcorn under the mattress. we had to take spreads off as they were filthy and smoky, If you go bring slippers the carpet was really filthy.don't know what they used for a vacuum We opened outside onto the balcony as so much smoke smell it almost choked you and no screen to keep bugs outside as already enough inside A few pot/MARIJUAN0/ butts was by the outside balcony door jam.. There was actually what looked like poo under the towel when i lifted it up folded and clean from tub side the bathtub ... chairs arms were so sticky your bare arms stuck to them (old varnish and food) we did not use the coffee make afraid it dirty too. the restaurant was good and quite clean looking. the hot tub was not too bad small good the big swim area was fairly good except for mold never going to stay there again in my lifetime am a senior and have stayed in a few places that are worn but not DIRTY FILTHY LIKE THIS WAS. thank you
........................... take heed not a clean place by any means.......................

sooner sleep in the car

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It concerns me greatly that you departed us with such a negative impression. We have prided ourselves here at the Highwayman Inn & Conference Center on our ability to provide our guests with a clean and comfortable stay for which we have failed you. We are undergoing continuous renovations and your satisfaction is our main priority.

Sudbury, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We were very disappointed with our stay. When we booked into our first room my husband found dirty socks and booby pins under the bed. They did change our room but it was about the same. the fridge freezer was frozen thick with water. The pool and hot tub had mold around the edge and around the windows poolside. The service in the restaurant was slow. We asked for a special advertised on a sheet on our table is no longer offered but the sheet was put back on our table. There is no shuttle to the casino, you pay for it. The smoke alarm, battery operated woke us up at 5;30 in the morning. They are updating the rooms but the blinds on the windows are too narrow and you can see in on the sides. The rooms are very poorly lite. The one good thing about the motel is the staff, they are very pleasant and try to help as much as they can but it also takes the owners to keep the motel in good repair. We will not be going back to this motel and will not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
I appreciate your taking the time to share your experience with us at the Highwayman Inn & Conference Centre. I am sorry for the cleanliness concerns you had during your stay. Thank you for noticing the efforts of our staff. They are the heart and sole of our business.
Thank you for noticing the updates to our junior suite rooms. It is our goal to build a level of service and product our guests expect with refreshed training for staff and capital improvements. Other improvements in 2013 include carpeting in some public areas, implementation of a new bedding program, new furnishings in our banquets foyer, ongoing painting, and new art decor and internet wi-fi upgrades.
I do hope that when you are in Orillia area you will consider staying with us again at the Highwayman Inn & Conference Centre.

Brantford, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I want to say I was very disappointed in my recent 4 night stay in Orillia at The Highwayman. When I booked my room, I asked for a ground floor pet free room because of my allergies to certain pets. I was told, NO PROBLEM , I would get what I wanted. My room was booked approx. 2 months in advance . Upon arrival, I find out there are NO pet free rooms in the motel. STRIKE ONE... Next 4 days were spent drugged up on antihistamines and allergy meds . All rooms are allowed pets. In addition, I did not get my ground floor unit and with my bad knee, had to travel up and down stairs for the 4 day stay. I asked and they had no way of putting me on a ground floor unit. STRIKE 2 !!
The cobwebs and spiders in the hallways near doors, light fixtures, around vending machines. and under the steps were all very visible as one would walk up and down the stairs. STRIKE 3.
The beds were comfortable but the pillows too soft and flat. The TV was fuzzy and hard on the eyes. The room was clean but very dated , Washroom was updated and modern which was nice.
Attached to the Motel was a nice restaurant but service on my first day there was extremely SLOW !!!. Breakfast Buffett was the same each weekday morning with variety added on Sunday.
It wouldn't take much to make this place top notch like it once was.... Maybe they will consider some changes over the next while and make it that way.

Room Tip: If you need a pet free room because of allergies... your best bet is top floor far away from exits a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is always beneficial to hear from our guests and receive their valuable feedback about our hotel because we value your patronage and certainly want to know how we can continue to improve our service.

I am sorry you were disappointed on this occasion, and I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We hope to have the opportunity to provide accommodations for you in the future and show you how your remarks were used constructively.

Warmest Regards,

Barrie, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

My parents just returned from staying here. They had booked a "non-smoking" room...smoke was coming under the door from across the hall. They had wondered why on a cool day, when they arrived at the room, the air-conditioning was cranked to the max. The smoke was so bad that my father's asthma was aggravated. When they asked the front desk about getting a smoke-free room they were treated with disregard. Also when they asked why the fire door in the hallway was being propped open, this too was dismissed. I wonder what the Fire Dept. would have to say?! The rooms were comfortable but the whole experience spoiled by smoke. Lacrosse players in the hall until 11pm did nothing to enhance their stay! They will never choose Highwayman Inn ever again.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review for the Highwayman Inn, Orillia, ON. We do respect your opinion and are distressed that the condition of your room was not to your satisfaction.

Over 95% of our hotel is non smoking and we always recommend that our guests who are sensitive to smoke stay in one of our non smoking rooms. We are always happy to change rooms should a room not to be your liking.

Your satisfaction is of the utmost imporatnace to us, and we hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future while you are visting Orillia, ON.

Fredericton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I Recently stayed at the Highwayman inn at first glance it look's great I was to stay in a non smoking room as I am alergic to cigerette smoke my room was supposed to be non smoking but with the burn on the bath tub and the burns in the carpet it hadent been for long. The smell was way worse than fresh cigarette smell it was old and musty. there was a piece of toilet paper stuck to the ceiling in the main room it was never removed. I stayed for a week 5 days the room was not vacumed for the whole time as dirt that was there when I arrived was still there when I left.At any given time you could walk down the hallway and there would be at least 2 door's wide open with people smoking in them and not just tobbaco why would there be a nonsmoking room on the same wing as smoking rooms . I work for a heavy equipment company as a feild tech and have stayed in many rooms in many different hotels this by far was the worst.I went to the front desk to ask about the smoke smell and was told that my room was right beside a smoking room no offer to move me not even a sorry. when I checked out no reciept was issued I was told It would be emailed to me that day after 5 calls and one week later I recieved the invoice that was not correct I have emailed the manager about this and have not had a reply I don't suggest this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Exceptional service is what we strive for here at the Highwayman Inn. It is always our priority to ensure guests’ needs are met and satisfied. It saddens me that you did not receive the caliber of service we are known for. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally and hope you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

We regret that some elements of your stay fell short of your expectations. We assure you that each of the issues raised will be explored and resolved.

I can be contacted directly at 1-800-461-0269.

Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I needed a place to stay in Orillia as we had an event bright and early the next day. We arrived after dinner time and checked in with no delay. I found the $100 pre-authorization on the credit card a little strange as our room was only $83. She ensured it was for room insurance and nothing was being charged to the credit card (she originally just handed my boyfriend the credit card machine which was prompting for his PIN, and he looked over at me like, what? I had to prompt her for an explanation). We drove around the back, parked, and had a little trouble opening the door with our card. After about 5 attempts, the door opened. We went upstairs to our room, which was spacious, clean and a nice temperature. I was thoroughly happy with the room. The stone and brick wall was neat and everything was tidy. There was a small balcony and the glass doors allowed for lots of fresh air. We checked out at 7am the next morning with no hassle, paid for the room and were on our way. Unfortunately we didn't have a chance to visit the restaurant next door. The location is very convenient for Tim Hortons, Shoppers Drug Mart, a grocery store and the highway. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
We really appreciate you taking the time to leave a complimentary review of the Highwayman Inn.

Thank you for entrusting us with your needs while visiting Orillia, ON

Operations Manager

Been to Orillia Highwayman Inn? Share your experiences!