“Will go again” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Orillia
London, Ontario
“Will go again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed here Saturday-Monday and overall, it was pretty good.

The girl at reception when we checked in was not overly attentive and at check-out, we were not even asked how our stay was. It seems trivial, but allows the opportunity to voice guest's feedback.

My feedback would have been: our room was clean and they delivered the cot when requested. No complaints about the room, our housekeeper was very pleasant as well.

The only real concern that we had is that the pool was out of service the entire time we were there. Our kids were very disappointed because we booked this hotel exclusively due to the pool. We bought the kids new suits and they were very excited to swim. I realize that these things happen, but the staff did not seemed overly concerned when we inquired numerous times if/when it would be fixed.

Breakfast was very good at McCabes. We had a family brunch there for our relatives in town. Lots of food options and loved the omelette station.

We will return in the next month or so and really hope that the pool will be in service. For others that complained about cleanliness, I didn't see anything of concern. I work in the hotel industry and my room was just as clean as the 5 star hotels I stay in.

• Stayed May 2013
HighwaymanOrillia, Manager at Orillia Highwayman Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and the amenities we have to offer. We look forward to hosting your future stays in Orillia, ON at the Highwayman Inn

Please call us directly in advance on our toll free reservation line to receive the best available rate 1-800-461-0269.

Warmest regards,

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Toronto, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The desk clerk did her best to check us in despite a disgruntled Dad whose language was not appropriate for his children or any other ears. She briefly explained the location of our room but it took several tries for us to find the exterior door that opened with our room code. We opened the door to our room and quickly backed out as we thought it may have been occupied. A call to the desk resulted in sincere apologies that the room had indeed not been cleaned. We had to drive back to the front entrance as there is no direct route to the lobby through the hotel. A sign on the desk said 'Called away back in five minutes. More patience required ! Eventually a young girl appeared and assigned us another room. We had now learned the route and found the room spacious but not overly clean, especially the bathroom. We were in Orillia to clean our boat so just needed a place to sleep for the night. There were many beer drinkers sitting outside their rooms but thankfully we were able to sleep without being disturbed. In the morning we called the front desk to inform them the hair dryer didn't work and were told one was on the way ! After my hair was nearly dry and no sign of a dryer I poked my head into the hall where two employees were chatting and explained the situation. One of the ladies was most helpful and soon returned with another dryer and ensured it worked. As we checked out my husband mentioned the issue and the girl at the front desk now apologized for forgetting all about the dryer ! A lot of patience was required for this overnight and unless there is no other option we will not return. I felt sorry for the girl I met in the hall who was all set for the pool- the desk clerk said it would reopen in the morning but the signs on the door said it was closed for repair. The clerks were really trying but they were short staffed and it was a very busy Saturday night ! This hotel requires better management and attention to cleanliness.

Room Tip: The second floor away from the main section is much quieter as many choose to have a barbecue etc ou...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Although we never enjoy hearing that one of our guests had a less than perfect stay, we feel the comments such as yours allow us to assess where we have opportunities to make improvements. Should you choose to return to the Highwayman Inn we encourage you to get in touch with us prior to your arrival so that we can ensure that everything for your stay is in perfect order. Please do not hesitate to let us know of any disturbances during the your stay so that our team can address it immediately.

Kindest Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

4 of us Stayed for 15 months while working on a construction build ! The Hotel staff was more then friendly fulfilling every need
( Kelsey ) service the rates were great ,the staff tried hard to keep us happy when ever we needed anything they were there it really was a hm away from hm . all in all 10 out of 10 the restaurant was great breakfast was amazing ( angel ) and if you need extra attention ask Kelsey to come to your rm 10 out of 10 hands down best hotel lay ever ! Everything was great :)

• Stayed May 2012
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was the first time we stayed at the Highwayman and we will be back for sure!!!!! We were well treated from the check-in to the check out... Room was nice. Not overly fancy but clean and spacious... Just perfect!!! The pool and hot tub were great..... We were given the option of a late check out for $25 which we decided to take. We had dinner at McCabes... and It was great the the staff very friendly and accommodating. Also had Breakfast there (with 3$ off coupon each) which was buffet style and excellent!!! We are looking forward to our next stay there.... Thank you for the great time!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Thomas, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We have been staying the the Highwayman for several years now as a Christmas family getaway. Although the rooms are a bit tired and dated the hotel is always clean and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. The best feature for us is the Carmichael room which we can use as the central room to congregate for our party of 20+. And the kids always enjoy the pool area.

Our family now considers this to be one of our Christmas traditions.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel I appreciate all feedback that we receive, whether positive or negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Newmarket, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

This will be my fourth time coming to the highwayman. I have a friend that I come with and we enjoy a two night stay. Love the set up for the pool and hot tub. Food is always good. I come to Oralia to work at my room during tax season. I have a room on ground level so my clients can come in and get their work done quickly and undisturbed. It has worked well for us. We then make a trip to the casino and a show. I find the buffet at the highwayman inn much better than Rama. The staff is always friendly and helpful. Yes the rooms could use updating but I still will return in April this year.

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

I had planned my wedding at the Highwayman Inn as I had had good experiences there in the past but this was far from a pleasant experience. BOOKING MY WEDDING THERE WAS A HUGE MISTAKE

I had communicated to w the event coordinator that we needed her there for the rehearsal and it seemed like she understood. The day before the wedding we showed up for our rehearsal. I went to the front desk to ask for her... The stuck up girl at the front desk was extremely ignorant when I asked where our event coordinator was. Turns out she had gone home hours earlier. So my wedding party and I winged our rehearsal hoping for the best.

After the rehearsal I checked into my room. I had reserved a bridal suite thinking a bridal suite would be a nice room with lots of room. I went into my room. It resembled a dungeon. It was small and dark. There was no sliding glass door as promised so I couldn't smoke my Cuban cigar without going all the way out of my room. I had asked the snob at the front desk for a cot as I thought there would be room to have a slumber party with my bridesmaids and got nothing but a bad attitude from her.

So if that's not enough, I woke in the morning to find that the ceiling in my bathroom was leaking... Luckily a nice person was at the front desk that time... She moved me to another room so my bridal party could get ready. My stylist walked into the new room and found water all over the floor from a broken toilet... So finally, I got moved to the third room.

I went downstairs in the morning to check on the decor and it wasn't ready... So my maid of honor and I rushed and assembled centerpieces. The event coordinator was there a couple hours after we put the arrangements together and appologized but it didn't change anything. Equipment that was to be provide wasnt there... The food was cold... They didn't follow my timeline at all. I had requested that the bartender not over serve my guests but they did not respect that request at all.

This place is a joke! I would not recommend it to anyone. They even charged me for the night I stayed even with all the issues. A wedding is a stressful enough of a day without that bs... I just did my best with what I was dealt but seriously, do not book your wedding there.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Orillia Highwayman Inn? Share your experiences!