“Best Sunset view , near Casino Rama” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fern Resort

Save Saved
You added Fern Resort to your Saves list
Fern Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   4432 Fern Resort Rd, RR#5, Orillia, Ontario L3V 6H5, Canada   |
Ranked #3 of 15 hotels in Orillia
Toronto, Canada
“Best Sunset view , near Casino Rama”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We went to Casino Rama on 4th may 2013 .While searching for hotel we saw Ferns resorts board on roadside.. ....We went to check the rooms availability. It was much more than our expectations. The rooms along lakeside were very nice. Its a must stay place if you love to watch sunset . Even the breakfast was very tasty . This hotel has a nice dining hall . Overall, it was a very very good experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
FernResort, General Manager at Fern Resort, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Thank you for staying with us back in May. I would agree with you, we do have the best sunset views. Fern Resort has a lot of accommodations with a deck or a balcony facing west. When the sun goes down over Garnett or Horseshoe island it does create a magnificent sight. Come back and see us again this summer. We have great packages with meals, activity programs and nightly entertainment and the sunsets only get better!
Thanks for posting Quidee M.
Cordially,

174 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My family has spent a week at Fern for 14 years now. That says something about how nice it is. Fern isn't a vacation where you get away - its a vacation where you are going home -seeing old friends and making new ones. Its big enough to have something for everyone - yet small enough that you all know eachother after just a few days. I've made lifelong friends here as have my daughters. We've even vacationed elsewhere with 'Fern" friends.

The staff is friendly, entertaining and there to please. It amazes me that with the thousands of people passing through - each year they know who we are - even walking behind us! The best day is when the staff does a hilarious lip sync show.

There are a variety of accomodations from typical hotel to separate little houses. Food is excellent with a wide variety of choices - and the pool side lunch buffet keeps the vacation going instead of having to go inside. My only complaint if I have one is the entertainment which was top notch has slipped quite a bit - I am sure due to costs and the economy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
FernResort, General Manager at Fern Resort, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Thank you for posting your comments here on TripAdvisor and thanks for the 14 years of loyalty! Fern Resort is blessed to have guests like yourselves that come "home" every summer and experience a vacation like no other. I look forward to seeing you and your family again this summer and I hope you are pleasantly surprised by this years entertainment lineup. There's been some change ups.
Take Care.
Port Perry, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The activities for the kids were top notch. Entertainment was amazing.

We were there for March Break 2013. Our children are very active and they said it was as fun as the Disney Cruise we had gone on a year earlier. The rooms are rustic, cottage like - exactly what we expected from the reviews, and were clean. We found ourselves in the rooms to sleep, shower, change clothing between events, & prepare to attend dinner. This represented 5-7% of our time.

The rest of the time was activities - I believe they started around 9:00am and ended at 4:30 or so with a break for lunch.

The day we were going to leave I surprised the kids and my wife with another two nights. I left and went to work and they stayed. Not once was anyone board.

I can not say enough about this place. We will be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting your comments here on TripAdvisor. I love to hear it when kids value there stay at Fern right up there with their Disney experiences :). The March Break is a great time for families to get together and enjoy spring. This year we had the best of both worlds; skating on the lake, maple syrup gathering in the bush, ball hockey and basketball. A little winter and a little spring!
Take care and I look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Was at Fern Resort recently for a group weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay - my room was comfortable and clean (not sure if there has been a recent renovation or replacement, but I don't share the concerns of other travellers who found the decor and fittings to be dated or sub-par), the food was very good and great choices, and the staff from start to finish were exceptionally attentive, friendly and competent.

Although I was not part of the organizing group for this weekend, I was impressed by the facilities that were put at our group's disposal...space for gatherings, snack and beverage service, and a facilty where we could muck about with dyes without worrying about making a mess. It seemed clear to me that our business was valued.

Room Tip: Fireside lakeview room was lovely. Very quiet in shoulder season, but might be a bit noisier in busi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for posting your comments here on TripAdvisor and I glad you enjoyed your stay. We have been in the process of renovation accommodations in order to give everything a nice new clean look.
Thanks again for taking the time to post your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Scot Collens
hamilton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a fantastic family summer vacation July 2012. The staff was first class. The accommodations are in bad need of updating. The food is just ok (not delicious). Liked the option of outside lunch bbq.
Pros:
The staff could not of been better, the location is just beautiful, the entertainment was awesome, the pool and fishing was great. The staff work hard at keeping the kids occupied and having fun all day long.
Cons:
The accommodations: in bad need of upgrading. The cottages are so old looking and feeling inside and out. The roofs need replaced, carpets, bedding, furniture, bathrooms need replaced...... we actually looked in several room types trying to see if we could get a better room, but decided to stay where we were because there was nothing better. The exterior of rooms need painted and pressure washed. The childrens playground was very old (wooden) in need of a good pressure wash and cleaning.
The beach: very small, needs a lot more sand brought in.
We loved the experience at the Fern, the only thing holding me back from booking again is the state of the accommodations.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
FernResort, General Manager at Fern Resort, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for posting your comments here on TripAdvisor regarding your family's stay last summer. I am glad to hear you have such a high regard for our staff and the job they do. The staff are the pulse and the face of what we do here at Fern Resort there energy and hospitality are top notch and they enjoy every bit of it. Without the hard work and commitment from them we would not be the #1 family resort in Ontario. We do have a variety of accommodation types and sizes and they are in various stages of the renovation process. We are committed to renovating of our accommodations and have been progressively doing so.
I appreciate your recommendations regarding the pressure washing and looking at bringing in more sand to our lovely beach area. I agree it does need a little lift.
Thanks again for your comments and I hope we can see you and your family again this summer.
Cordially,
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stay here for one night with my family (2 children ages 4 and 2) on family day weekend...and that was enough for me.
The food was not good - sub-par would be a fair statement.
Everything about this resort was "vintage" (old). The bedding needed to be replaced, along with the mattresses, and carpetting. On top of that the power went out about 2-3 times during my stay, so I constantly felt cold. The children's play area also has old carpetting, and would have helped if the staff was more engaged in doing the activities with the children.
The swimming pool was probably the worst. It was in a seperate building, and you had to get your towels from main receptions and return them to main reception. There was one shower (no family change area), there wasn't any soap/shampoo (You had to bring your own soap and shampoo from your room). And half of the pool lights were out.
I wouldn't go back - definetly not worth the money spent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
FernResort, General Manager at Fern Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for posting your comments here on TripAdvisor. Family Day Weekend was certainly a busy one and the weather was brisk but definitely bright and sunny for enjoying all the outdoor fun that was scheduled. Fern Resort is a family-owned and -operated property with a long-standing tradition of providing genuine hospitality in a warm and friendly atmosphere. The resort setup is a classic Ontario resort design with many different buildings for many different uses, from dining and accommodations to recreation and entertainment. It is certainly not a downtown hotel in the country nor do we pretend to be. We do have a mix of rooms in three inns as well as cottage styles of accommodation, which we have been diligently renovating over the past few years; we have completed 80% of our 105 accommodations.
I do apologize that your stay did not live up to your expectations and I do appreciate your comments and concerns.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed at Fern for three nights arriving December 24th and departing December 27th. My husband and I along with our 13 yr old daughter shared one room with 2 beds, a large sitting area, desk, fireplace, etc, and my in-laws had an exact replica next door. They are repeat visitors, having been to Fern four times before, although never in winter, and this was our first time.

I thought the rooms were lovely and large but agree with some of the other posts that some of the facilities are a little worn - mostly the games rooms as there is a brand new theatre/auditorium in the same building.

The dining room is very nice, our servers were great, and with two vegetarians in the family, we were thrilled to find true vegetarian and vegan options marked on the menu at every single meal. As well, you could mix and match from the menu and buffet. There was never a long wait for courses but sometimes you came to the table hungry and a few fries from the buffet were nice (and of course it was wonderful for families with younger children). Food was very good.

We walked the property, went cross-country skiing, snow-shoeing, went on a guided hike with a marshmallow roast, played all the assorted trivia games in the games room (with one of the staff hosting and guests divided into teams), played bingo, attended the wildlife shows (part of the family program) and the evening shows (annual staff show, magic show and surprisingly incredible circus show). We never lacked for something to do and the ice rink looked great (none of us skate) and the kids looked like they were having a great time in their programs (our daughter was just old enough to be outside the formal programs).

To be honest, I think of this kind of holiday as a little kitschy (but in a good way) and we totally embraced the kitschiness by doing ALL the activities. It was a wonderful getaway with the grandparents and we all have plans to repeat it next year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Fern Resort? Share your experiences!