“Bad timing?” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 40 Restaurants in Gananoque
Cornwall, Canada
“Bad timing?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We love Gananoque! We go there on a semi-regular basis when a mini holiday is required. On this trip, we walked along the main street and came across the Village Deli. The menu was posted outside and the interior appeared busy and full.
We were greeted and seated by the owner. It's been mentioned in a few other reviews that he's a friendly and engaging sort, and indeed, he is. His son took our order of BLT sandwich and a grilled chicken burger. Simple meals, yes??
A group of 4 came in after us and were served their meals ahead of us. When we questioned the waitress (the owner's wife?), she said that she'd look into it. She came back to let us know that it was taking so long because chicken takes a while to cook. Really?? More than 30 minutes to grill a pre-cooked, restaurant style piece of chicken? Oh well, we got our meal, so dig into it we did....sort of.
My husband's BLT must have been sitting waiting for my chicken to cook because his bacon was cold. The chicken on my burger was inedible for it's dryness. I pulled the chicken out and ate the lettuce, tomato and mayo on a burger bun.
A truly unpleasant and unfortunate experience. I will not recommend this place to anyone looking for lunch. Maybe we'd have had more success ordering breakfast?

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

London, Canada
“Delicatessen - not quite what you expect.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Online dictionalry defines del·i·ca·tes·sen as a noun
1. a store selling foods already prepared or requiring little preparation for serving, as cooked meats, cheese, salads, and the like.
I was expecting fresh cold cuts, sandwiches, cheeses, salads. That's not at all what this place is.
When we arrived for lunch the owner was at the door and he was very friendly and engaging. When I saw the menu offerings I wanted to leave but he was such a nice guy I couldn't. Both of us had wraps - a chicken Caesar and a BLT. They came with a piece of dill pickle. They were good.
I did go to the basement to visit the washrooms - WHOA were they ever unappealing. I couldn't even walk trhough the doors which were wide open. Cleanliness does not appear to be a priority. I would encourage the owner if he reads these to do a thorough clean job in the wash rooms.

While the food was good the name was misleading so I was significantly disppointed.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Kitchener, Canada
“An Excellent Surprise At The End Of An Adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Our Gananoque Adventure was filled with misinformation. A restaurant we were recommended to go to for breakfast on our way out of Gananoque was not open until 10 AM, too late for us! We had already parked the car on King St., and fed the parking meter. I looked around to see if there was another place to eat without moving the car, THERE WAS!! The Village Delicatessen served up the perfect breakfast. My eggs were made just right, bacon cooked well, not overcooked. The hash browns, fresh, not packaged, were an added delight! The coffee was the best I'd had during my visit. The price was an added benefit, one that will bring me back again, and again! This restaurant has free parking at the rear of their fine, clean, exquisite establishment.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mississauga
“Vintage Charm in Gananoque”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

If you are looking for breakfast - this is the place! Good price, excellent hash browns .

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, Canada
“great people and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

The owner Rob is a very nice and polite man. The food was great and service was fast and accurate

Visited February 2012