“Did not meet Expectations (even for the price)” 2 of 5 stars

Gateway Motel
819 King Street West, Gananoque, Ontario K7G 2H6, Canada   |
Ranked #11 of 12 hotels in Gananoque
Mississauga, Canada
“Did not meet Expectations (even for the price)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

The young proprietor was charming and helpful. However, the room we had was possibly in the process of being renovated (we hope so) and not ready for guests. The bedding, towels, and bathroom were all clean, but the toilet ran non-stop and the general state of the room was not acceptable. Until we complained, we didn't even get housekeeping (though clean towels were left). The A/C worked; the pool was clean and enjoyable; and the BBQ worked. Our experience was similar to what you would expect in a hostel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

I did not find this place to be a "gem". It is a family-run business, and the owners are friendly and offer suggestions for cheap dining options around town; but I was not impressed by the level of cleanliness or maintenance. There were too many mosquitoes and bugs in the room for my liking. And they did not vacuum under the beds before we took the rooms. My parents had a room where a window did not close properly.

The rooms are very spacious with two double-beds in each room plus a little dining table, side tables etc.

It’s about 5 minutes drive from downtown Gananoque or the 1000 tourist ferry; however, the drive is not beautiful/memorable. Further, Getaway has no view/ambiance of it’s own; unlike many other options in the area.

This is probably the cheapest option in town; so if you really want to save money – take it! ..1000 islands is worth the visit! But if you can, I recommend spending a little more money for something with a more ambiance.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

We initially stayed at a fairly pricey hotel/motel in Gananoque and liked the town so much we decided to stay longer--and we shopped for a less expensive place. In the Gateway we found a room just as clean, with bedding just as good, as the pricey place and it was almost half the price!! In fact, the internet connection was far superior! The soap and shampoo were down-scaled, and there was no breakfast, but the room itself was all we needed and immaculate! The family that owns it is working to fix it up--the exterior is quite run-down and unappealing. But they have their priorities straight and are providing fine rooms!
There is free coffee, just no breakfast. We'll stay there again when we come back here. And we expect to do that eventually because of the fine restaurants and fine theater in the town!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

I'm a little surprised at a couple of reviews on this motel as I found our room to be extremely clean, and the motel owners were very eager to please. Our room contained a new refrigerator and a.c., the bed linen and towels were far cleaner than many other, more expensive motels/hotels I've stayed at, and the price was incredible.

Not sure what more one could want in this price range. I figure we saved ourselves around $50/night on the room - money that was better spent on sightseeing and eating out.

If you don't want anything overly fancy but do want a clean room at a great price and within a short drive of downtown Gananoque (ok, all accommodations in Gananoque meet the last criterion :) I'd have no hesitation recommending Gananoque Motel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

disgusting and unclean! Thought we were getting a good deal with the price but upon entering the room found out paid to much, any amount of money for these rooms is to much. Children wanted to sleap in the vehicle. Rooms are falling apart , furniture outdated and bedding dirty and full of burn holes. Only thing in the room that wasn't outdated was the fridge and the toilett paper. Wouldn't recommend to anyone, not even my worst enemy.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Windsor, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

I made a reservation after reading a review here, but chose not to stay there after seeing the place in person.

While the Gateway is clean, it is also an old, basic, 1950s style motel - something that is not mentioned or reflected in the very high rating the other reviewer gave it.

If I were a long-haul trucker looking for a place to spend the night, the Gateway would be perfect. But in the end I decided it wasn't the place to bring my family for a 1000 Islands vacation.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2006

We stayed at the Gateway for eight days in July. Three groupings of my family had rooms and we all found it clean, comfortable and very affordable. It's a pretty basic no-frills motel, but the cost let us stay as long as we did so it gave us a terrific vacation. I ended up staying in two different rooms (I downshifted when a friend left) and the regular room was much more basic than the bigger two-bed suite. But it did the trick and I was comfortable. The Gateway is on one edge of town, on the way to Kingston, and I had initially been worried that it was too far out of the action. But we really liked that it was quiet and that it was easy to get around from the motel. We all had naps every day and my parents slept with the windows open it was so quiet. I swam in the pool every day and it was a great way to chat up other guests. The owners were friendly and welcoming. The fridge in every room is a truly helpful size. The rate was terrific. We loved Gananoque. We really enjoyed our stay at the Gateway.

Been to Gateway Motel? Share your experiences!