“"A disappointing experience"” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Trinity House Inn

You added Trinity House Inn to your Saves list
Trinity House Inn
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   90 Stone Street South, Gananoque, Ontario K7G 1Z8, Canada   |
Ranked #13 of 14 Gananoque B&B and Inns
Orillia
“"A disappointing experience"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

We booked this Inn to celebrate our 49th Anniversary, and we added the Bed and Breakfast Plan for an extra $12.00, which I wish we hadn't done, because the breakfast both days was terrible. Dinner the first night we were there was really great, as was the service. We had already made plans to dine elsewhere the second night. Our room was TINY, and although comfortable, certainly not what I would have liked to celebrate such a special occasion. The second day we were there we had tickets for a Boat Cruise of the Thousand Islands in the morning and we were asked to move our car to a parking lot because they were going to spray wash the parking lot at the Inn. When we arrived back at the Inn later in the afternoon, there was mud on the ground of most of the parking lot. We have stayed at quite a few B & B's, and Trinity House Inn certainly does not compare. I might add, they were aware we were celebrating our 49th anniversary, and there were other rooms available while we were there, but they were not offered to us. On a positive note, they did arrange the tickets for the Boat Cruise the second day, and Theatre Tickets the first day (which I had requested when booking).

Room Tip: Don't book "CONSTANCE" ROOM!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Trinity House Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
I am sorry that you had a less than satisfactory experience.During your stay there were larger rooms available but at a higher rate.When you booked I assumed that you had been to our website and reviewed the room descriptions,pictures and rates.If I had known that you were disatisfied I could have given you a larger room at the higher rate.I apologize for this.
The breakfast is $6 per person.It is optional as I have guests that sometimes don't want breakfast.Therefore it is not included or built into the room rate.We offer a full hot and cold buffet:coffee,tea,juice,buttermilk pancakes,bacon or sausages, a hot egg dish,fresh fruit salad,yogurt,granola,pastries,cereals,breads,jams and condiments prepared that morning by myself.
We pressure sprayed the interlock brick parking lot during your stay.There was substitute complimentary parking 100 yards away.There was some mud on the bricks which I had to wait to dry so that it could be swept up.
I can't do anything about room sizes as this is a historic home built in 1859.I continually strive to maintain the comfort of the rooms.I provide modern amenities such as central air conditioning,ceiling fans,colour cable TV and wireless internet.
Jacques O'Shea

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Gananoque is well worth a visit.The scenery is beautiful and the island cruises(3) are very enjoyable.Passports are needed for one cruise.My wife and I stayed at the Trinity House Inn,owned and operated byJacques O'Shea.It has lots of old world charm and a beautiful garden.It is a short walk to the water and the start of the cruises.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very good.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Trinity House Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.I am from Toronto and was captivated by the natural scenic beauty when I sailed here.As a result I moved and created an inn here 23 years ago. I never tire of the beauty the area has to offer each season.
Orillia, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We were a party of seven and did not stay at the inn but attended for dinner only. Therefore my review is based on our dining experience only. And it was an experience that will never be repeated. First impressions were good with a nicely presented table and a menu that describes the meals in fancy terminology that implies high end dining and priced accordingly. Up to that point things were good. Then our meals began arriving at intervals and one was incorrect. My first thought when I looked at my plate was surely they’re joking – three meat balls and a chincy mound of mixed vegetable consisting of one single little broccoli stem, four very tiny baby carrots and a couple of similarly sized pieces of cauliflower (the appearance and consistency was that of mixed frozen vegetable of the grocery store type). On the other side of the plate were five little pieces of fried potato comparable in size to about four French fries. These are not exaggerations. When I looked around at the others they too were peering at their plates in disbelief. Three had ordered the rack of lamb which consisted of the same portions of vegetables and three little chops which had been cut from a rack of lamb. Discussion afterwards amongst the group could be summarized as; overall the quality of the food was average or adequate at best but above all else it was the portions that were incredibly small and make this dining location value for money a one on a scale of five.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Jacques O, Owner at Trinity House Inn, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Thank you for your feedback.Unfortunately I did not see the dinners that you were served and was unaware of your displeasure until I received a complaint,otherwise I would have taken action at the time.The chef is new to my establishment and has been advised of your complaint and corrective action has been taken.There is no excuse for the meagre portions you received and I apologize.The dishes did not meet our standards as evidenced on our Trip Advisor restaurant listing.I would like to offer you the opportunity for a complimentary dinner.Please contact me at your leisure.
Jacques O'Shea
Kanata, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Jacques was a wonderful host and Innkeeper. He made us feel right at home and we felt we had stepped into the past with the elegant decor while maintaining every convenience of the modern world.
Our dinner New Year's Eve was superlative and combined with the efficient and courteous staff it made for one of our most memorable evenings ever. The Inn is located in a central area and we enjoyed both the riverfront walks and local cafes. We will definitely recommend this to friends, in fact, we are planning to spend next New Year's at the Trinity Inn and make it a yearly event! Marlene and Gary

Room Tip: We missed having a table and chairs in the room and may select a larger room on our next stay.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011 via mobile

Jacques was a wonderful innkeeper who really values his in and its customers. He put a lot of thought and detail into every little aspect of the inn over the last 23 years. We will definitely be recommending this to friends for years to come. The free room upgrade was also a delightful surprise.

• Stayed December 2011
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011 via mobile

We stayed at Trinity Inn for a night in the late September 2011. Jacques offered us a nice room and tried to make us feel at home.
We also had breakfast there in our stay, and we really enjoyed it.

• Stayed September 2011
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Our room was very clean -and was cleaned while we were at lunch our second day as well. Friendly host - great food in the dining room, expensive but lovely. Very short walk to main street.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Trinity House Inn? Share your experiences!