“A surprising treasure” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Colonial Resort

You added Colonial Resort to your Saves list
Colonial Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   780 King Street West, Gananoque, Ontario K7G 2H5, Canada   |
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Gananoque
Acampo, CA
“A surprising treasure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We prefer non-corporate and this turned out to be a wonderful one night experience. It is an old facility but maintained, cabin like feel. The pool was well used, picnic tables abound, the facility feels spread out and invites you to sit outdoors. The beds were good. The cleaning staff forgot to remove a case of empty beer cans from our room, oh well. A bus load of retirees were here that weekend so there was live entertainment, free, in the evening. We thoroughly enjoyed the folk singing and heard that the jazz music the night before was great. The staff recommended a wonderful dinner place complete with directions to find a parking spot. Wish we could of spent another night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed for one night en route from Syracuse NY to Aurora Ontario, to break the journey. 4 adults, 2 rooms and just booked it the day before. I'll start with the only problem we had - the wifi (or lack of it, as it did not work very well at all). Judging by the computer in the bar, running Windows 1955, it is in need of an upgrade ;-)

Everything else was great! It's a little old fashioned, but we like that. The cabins are well spaced out amid pretty landscaped gardens. Nice big rooms, clean and comfortable. They also have some accessible rooms (we didn't see these). It's popular with groups of seniors and offers spa facilities, indoor & outdoor pool, various health treatments & an Irish pub with evening entertainment. The various rules & regulations are there in the interests of their clients, who are mainly older.

Breakfast was the best I have ever had in a motel - and this was 15 minutes before closing. My daughter was not feeling well and the staff happily gave me a tray for her.

So long as you are not expecting 5 star accommodation & ultra modern facilities I am sure you will enjoy it here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Ingleside, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My wife and I had just purchased a couples romantic getaway package and was thoroughly disapointed with every aspect of our weekend, from start to finish. They never put the chapangne in the room as offered in their package, when I asked for confirmation on the kayacking and ATV excursions that was also supposed to be offered with the package they called me back and said to book it myself. When I asked for the names of the restaurants they offered vouchers for with the getaway the desk manager was unable to tell me. Upon arrival I asked again to insure that our dinning would be somewhere nice and not just a bar and eatery. Still the only answer I got was two ou of the three places are nice. When we arrived at the first we were at first disapointed with the establishment. (bar and eatery). But the food was good. The second night, the restaurant was all German food. Niether one of us enjoy Borsh or Schnitezl so we left and ate elsewhere. When we explained to the front desk they refused repeaditly to refund the unused voucher until I refused to pay the bill due to their incompetance. When we went for our message the rooms ac was out and our masseurs were wiping the sweat off themselves so not to drip on us. Uncomfortable to say in the least. Not to mention the screwed up plumbing in the room and the less then hospitable dinning room staff. We will not return nor recommend their facility. Which is unfortunate because we very much enjoy Gananoque.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kingston, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

It was rudly brought to our attention that signs are posted at the indoor and outdoor pool areas stating
" No Beverages or Food allowed ". Not good for kids that drink and snack all day long.
My wife and I were at the outdoor pool of this resort. There was one other adult in the area, reading. My wife and I had a glass of wine in plastick cups while sitting reading on a wooden deck. I returned to our room for a moment and was returning to the pool. I was returning with two cold canned drinks. I was stopped outside the pool gate by staff and asked if I had beverages at the pool. After I stated I had, I was asked what I had in my bag I was caring. When he was informed of its contents ( 2 cans of beer) I was refused access to the vacant pool area unless I left the bag on the ground out side. He got in my face and pointed to a sign, asking "Have you not read those signs" he snarled at me. I found I was breaking a posted rule that, was totaly unexpected at a resort. I did not expexct these signs or this rude agressive behaviour.This proprty is listed as a Resort.
Nice clean Motel with good facilities. 1 rude staff member. If you wish to enjoy a beverage, do so in your room or at the bar facility. They should not have "Resort" in their name. They should have strict beverage policies clearly stated in their brocure and on their web site!
We will not be back.

Room Tip: Beware of overly restrictive pool policies and agressive enforcement staff! Rooms very retro.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Catharines, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I have co-ordinated bus trips from St. Catharines, Ontario to Colonial Resort, Gananoque for the past five years and on our return, many say "see you next year". The area, facilities - indoor and outdoor, entertainment, food and service from the friendly and helpful staff were much appreciated and welcomed. Our side trips of theatre, boat cruise, trips to Ottawa, Kingston, Brockville, Wolfe Island, were all arranged by the staff at our decisions and all included with our package of a great price. If interested in arranging trips to the Colonial Resort, you can call the office and have them work out the details with you for all ages and the desired time yoiu with to have for your vacation.

Room Tip: You can't beat the price for the location, service and staff.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I spent the week there beginning of May 2012 with my baby boy who is three and had a wonderful time. Talk about your hospitality, the staff went above and beyong the call of duty to accommodate our needs. We were there to take in the beauty of the area and relax.

The rooms look nothing like the website. They are wonderful and freshly painted. The food was good, the fireplace worked very well and so did the television. There was one chilling night and all I had to was press the button wait about 10 minutes and the room was cozy warm. The whirlpool tub in the room a god sent . My son loved it. nothing like bubble while watching tv and having the fireplace on.

The place is very close to Gananoque, and you can walk to downtown Gan , I did with a three year old, unless you have a heart condition, out of shape or just lazy.

We did spend a week in England the following week but didn't have near the hospitality that we did in Gananoque.

Thanks Again and I plan to return to that corner room in the fall so keep it open.

Room Tip: the corner room, I believe it was 26..... with the fireplace and whirlpool tub!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Found the staff at resort polite. Room not very clean, bed uncomfortable. Breakfast not good, staff were busy and there were items missing. The whole building looked in need of renovation. Would not advise staying here was pleased we had only booked for 1 night.

Room Tip: Family room looked a lot better.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Colonial Resort? Share your experiences!