“Awesome! Lots of fun” 5 of 5 stars

Toronto
6 attraction reviews
“Awesome! Lots of fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Four of us also did the Gananoque Boat Tour 5 hour trip, so this gives us a good comparison of the two popular excursions of the area. If you have the time, you should do both. If you have to pick one (and are athletically inclined), I would recommend the kayaking trip. The boat tour has the castle part, and you see many of the islands. However, after a while, there isn't much exciting going on. With the kayaking trip, you will see fewer islands, but will have a more "up close" experience.

Visited July 2012

3 attraction reviews
“Easy, relaxing tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I saw a few varying reviews so thought it might be useful to post one - we went on the tour yesterday (July 8th), and did the afternoon tour. Weather was very nice, bit of a breeze so wondered if it would be choppy (it wasn't). We had 6 people and 2 guides. We were in a tandem kayak which would be good if you were a beginner as it's quite stable, so if you're with someone else it might be an idea to request that. Also has a rudder so steering is very easy.

Overall the tour was very enjoyable but much slower than we expected. We would do a short stretch of paddling and then stop and get a little background of an island or other point of interest, and then move on. If you're expecting a very active trip, then you might be a bit disappointed that you don't cover more ground.

However it was enjoyable overall, learned a bit more about the area, learned some good kayaking technique and took in some very nice sights.

Visited July 2012
35 attraction reviews
“Good tour - I'd book with them again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I found their kayaking equipment was great quality, the staff were friendly and helpful. Easy to find location and the guided trip was relaxed and information. I'll definitely refer them to friends and will come back again.

5 attraction reviews
“Worst Kayaking Tour”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Not for the begginers!

I would like to start off by reviweing all the positive things about the tour…

1. Small crowd
2. Decent food (Sandwiches with juice)
3. They take photos of you and email you the same day (for free)

However, the tours are not for the beginners. They might advertise as if it is, but its certainly not. My girlfriend has had years of experience, on the other hand, I have had no expeience in the past. I noted that on my application. Granted it was a windy day, but still following is a brief description of how my first kayaking adventure unfolded….

Besides showing us how to do the general rowing motion (part of the warm up exercise), we were given no instructions on how to row. Safety training was burshed aside as we were told, the tow line is a coast guard regulation and “we never have to use it” and the whistle “never had to use it” . as soon as we went into the water, my kayak started entering the busy water channels, and I was struggling to get it straight. The instructor just briefly explained what to do, luckily my girl friend was by my side and showed me how to steer the kayak. The water was rough and as soon as we starting moving, I noticed that the instructor had warmed up to the other couple in front of us in a tandem boat. While I was struggling at the back. The instructor started giving the tour, but I was so far behind that I did not hear a word. This continued for almost 90% of the time. Only once when we had paused next to the historic rocks, I had enough time to catch up. So basically neither did my girl friend, nor did I, ever hear a word of the tour. Every time I was stuck, my girl friend came to my rescue, there was no help from the intructor. Once or twice, he showed me what to do, but given my lack of experience, he should have stayed by our side and not be yards away from us. Note the couple in the tandem were experience kayakers. We were asked if we wanted to go into the big waves, I was confident, even though I have had no experience in the past. Everyone agreed, so I agreed as well. In my mind I thought, the guide would stay together, but that was not the case. He and the couple in the tandem were at least 300 yards in front of us and the waves were huge. My girlfriend stayed with me and showed me how to battle the waves. He body weight was shifted to my side and with one huge wave she was swep away. With every crashing wave she went under and then back up. She lost her belongings as the kayak toppled. She was screaming BUT THE GUIDE WAS SO FAR AWAY that we weren’t sure he could hear us. I COULD NOT FIND MY WHISTLE AS THE SAFETY TRAINING WAS CERTAINLY NOT DONE PROPERLY. Finally, I started screaming at the top of my voice. I saw the guide turn around and come towards us. He helped her while I was left alone in the rough waves. I knew which way to go as I could see the other couple holding on to a tree. So I managed to get there with all my strenght. The guide TOWED my girl friends boat and we took a rest. I WAS EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED WITH THE LACK OF SAFETY PRECAUTIONS TAKEN, THE COMPLETE DISREGARD FOR US AS WE WERE ALWAYS LEFT BEHIND AND NEVER HEARD A WORD BEING SAID and THE FACT THAT WE NEVER KNEW WHICH WAY TO GO…. WE WOULD BE TURNING RIGHT AND SUDDENLY WE WOULD SEE THAT THE GUIDE IS GOING LEFT. Kayaking itself is nice, espeically in calmer waters. The treatment extended towards us was appalling. I would recommend to take the tour only

1. If you have experience
2. If you are lucky enough to have a different instructor (we had Collin)

OH AND DO NOT USE THE VENDING MACHINE, LOST 2 BUCKS AND I WASN'T THE ONLY ONE.

We went on the weekend of September 4th.

New York, NY
3 attraction reviews
“Great way to spend the day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We did the whole day kayak trip around the islands. The weather could not have been better and our guide could not have been nicer (Colin). There was a total of four people on the trip, and most of the time, it was calm and serene. One section, it got a little challenging as we encountered 3-4 foot waves with the winds off of lake Ontario. The guide checked with all of us if we were up for it, and all being younger, we were! What an adventure it turned out to be. I've never had so much fun and had an adrenaline rush kayaking. One person actually got turned over, but no fear, the guide was right there to pull her right out and back in the kayak. Immediately afterwards, we landed on an island and the guide prepared an awesome, well-deserved lunch for all of us. After an hour's rest, the paddle back was nice, calm and quick.

I loved this trip and would do a longer one next time. If you are a newbie, don't sweat it, no one will make you go into waves you cannot handle. Lots of islands and places to paddle without any adrenaline rush... but for me, I'm glad there was some!