“Our idea of a North American Motel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Inn Gananoque

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson Inn Gananoque to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Inn Gananoque
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   550 King St East, Gananoque, Ontario K7G 1H2 CA, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Gananoque
Belgium
“Our idea of a North American Motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

That is what I've always imagined an American Motel looked. I travel with my parents and my brother's family. My parents and me had a big room and beds.big bathroom and it was clean, so my brother's, but the room smelt awfully bad, so we asked to the reception to change it, and they did it straight away without problems. For Mia (my brother's dog) was great to have some parts around with grass.
The location was very convenient to do the "Thousand Islands cruise"
The breakfast was basic, but fine. They prepare by demand warm waffles.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

The guest services at this accommodations was absolutely aweful. Even blamed the lack of preperation and failure to communicate between house keeping staff on me, the guest. The management proved no assistance/compensation for the multiple inconveniences. The Howard Johnson is an excellent company that is being poorly protrayed by this family owned and operated business.

• Stayed June 2012
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We booked this motel via Hotwire after receiving a great rate ($75/night). The room is average to lower end and the bathroom is nothing special. The complimentary breakfast is also pretty lame. However it does host a decent outdoor pool which was great to use on a warm sunny day.

Overall if you're just looking for somewhere to sleep in Gananoque, the Ho-Jo was worth the price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I just needed a few hours to sleep in the morning while I got some rest from working overnight. I was given a room and went and opened the door and it was a used room. The bed was not clean or made up. I went back to the front desk and they gave me a clean room right away. The new place was nice and clean. I thought it had a bit of a smoke smell. I was alowed to stay an hour past the check out time without a charge which was nice.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Arnprior, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

We chose this hotel after our truck broke down on a Sunday night and the recovery truck we called towed us to his garage in Gananoque. This was the closest hotel within walking distance from the garage. We weren't expecting much after the day we had, so thought we would treat ourselves to the jacuzzi suite. Wow, what a time warp upon entering the room (see photos). The room was clean enough, although we had to walk across the parking lot, up two flights of narrow stairs, outside onto a balcony and then finally entered the room. Climbing the stairs there was a terrible smell, so it was a relief to walk outside on the balcony to our room. Needless to say, not a very accessible room for those with difficulty walking (and lugging a suitcase). The bed seemed clean and was comfy. I was unable to access the internet, even after calling the front desk for the password (I travel many weeks out of the year for business so am very familiar with various methods hotels use to access the internet). The toilet was not securely fastened to the floor, so you got some rocking motion! There was mold in the grout in between the tiles in the bathroom. There was a nice flat screen TV on the wall, however it did not swivel or adjust for different viewing angles, so unless you were sitting on the bed, you couldn't really see the TV. Happened to look down by one of the chairs and discovered the remainders of someone's party...not sure how long they had been there! We were overcharged ($149 yikes!) for the time of year, and did not have access to the pool (closed) or offered any breakfast. We saw one other car in the parking lot that night.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Strasburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

This is the third time over the last 4 years I've stayed here, always in October in off-price season.

I've left a positive review before and gladly repeat it. The motel is a resurrected motor inn where you park in front of your door. The rooms are very clean, including the carpet and especially the bathroom. The TV is a large flat screen on the wall. The beds are firm and comfortable.

I have seen the negative reviews and don't understand them. I suspect they are from competitors. I can honestly recommend this motel.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
New Oxford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

A friend and I were traveling across canada on vacation. We chose the Hotel from a list we seen online. We were not disappointed with anything about the place, it was clean and had easy access to the main roads. we stayed 2 nights and the price was a good value! I would reccomend this hotel to anyone! Our only downfall and it had nothing to do with the hotel was, we wanted to do a boat ride of the thousand islands but we came to late in the year. The canandian side shuts down rides after labor day. We travelled back into the US and took Uncle Sams tour of the islands, which was wonderful!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Gananoque? Share your experiences!