“The "no tell" motel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Excelsior Hotel Spa Villegiature

Save Saved
You added Excelsior Hotel Spa Villegiature to your Saves list
Excelsior Hotel Spa Villegiature
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3655 bd. Ste-Adele (Route 117), Sainte-Adele, Quebec, Canada   |
Ranked #6 of 12 hotels in Sainte-Adele
Montreal, Canada
“The "no tell" motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

I didn't stay at this hotel, but I booked a couple of spa services. Oh boy what a mistake. I know something was off as we were arriving to the parking lot and saw through sheer curtains more than a couple people christening one room in every position there is. Not exactly high class. The hotel corridors have wall to wall old stuffy carpets and the spa section is in a dungeon like downstairs. 1980's wall paper didn't do it for me either. It looked a bit like a time capsule. The overpriced spa treatments were laughable and some of the instruments looked like they needed a long awaited cleaning. I took a long, scrubbing shower as soon as I got out of there and back to my hotel. I am glad I didn't book this hotel to stay in. It's that the hotel is now smoke free, but the 1980's decor holds in 30 years of cigarette smoke.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
SpaExcelsior, Superviseur à l'hébergement at Excelsior Hotel Spa Villegiature, responded to this review, June 8, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write in your review. We're sorry that your treatments were not up to your expectations. You’ll be happy to hear that we just finished a complete renovation of 25 of our rooms and that we refreshed our two spa departments. Therefore, you will see a major change in decoration on your next visit and to enjoy a relaxing moment at our spa. And don’t forget to try our heated outdoor salt-water pool! Give us another try, you will not regret it.

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Ottawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

Very poor experience, Ontario plates are litteraly run off the road, The spa purposely lyied and decieved to agrivate and disrupt any plans. They would not cater to any requests or assist over anything but the absolute minimum. They claimed printers were not working to avoid proper billing and when a summary of charges were mailed out after persistant request, it did not contain a client name or breakdown of charges. no level of professionalism what so ever. The advertised packages were not honoured . All charges were billed in advance and tips were included with out notice. Managers refused to surrender superiors names or numbers. All menus were French only and staff would not translate reliabely or grasiosly. Several plates from meals arrived incorrect and cold. Had to recover costs through credit card company

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
On the behalf of all the employees, we would like to apologize for making you feel that way during your stay and for not meeting your expectation. I have forwarded your comments to our Food & Beverage Director. Please know that we take every comment seriously and that we use them as tools to constantly improve ourselves.

Montreal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

Maybe I misunderstood, but when I arrived to check in the price was three times the price I thought I was quoted. When I inquired I was basically told that those prices were in the low season, mid week, on a full moon etc etc. Thought meals were included but was charged separately and cost to upgrade from the poor table d'hote selection was ridiculous. Why would they make you pay on check-in if meals are not included in the 'package', I wonder?
On the other hand the staff in the massage section were friendly and professional

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I will pass on the comments regarding the table d’hôte and the prices/payment problems that you encountered to our director. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your massage and the service that you received in our spa department. We would love to see you again and we hope that you will choose us in the future.

Montreal, QC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

This hotel is like a 2 star motel and is highly overpriced for the accomodations. It hasn't been updated since it was built, which was probably in the early 1980's. The carpets are stained and ripped and the furniture is old and scratched with uncomfortable platform beds. We were so disappointed and would never go back. I bought the Romantic package for Valentine's day for my husband which included 1 night in room with fireplace and double jacuzzi, dinner and breakfast for 2 people, plus a 50 minute massage for each of us. The "spa" is gloomy like a dungeon! We complained as soon as we saw our room and were upgraded to their President's Suite, which was slightly better than our first room. They wouldn't refund our stay so we made the best of it. The dinner was good, breakfast just edible. The pool and restaurant were not bad and they have available 1 computer on the 2nd floor for internet access.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at l’Excelsior. We are sorry that you didn’t like your stay. Since the time of your visit, half of our rooms, particularly our Romantic rooms, have been renovated to give our customer an environment where they can relax completely. The spa department has also received a brand new look. We now offer free wireless Internet access and have a meeting room that can accommodate up to 14 persons. Again, we appreciate your comments and hope you will give us another try in the near future.

Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

I booked myself into the Excelsior for a couple days while my other half took part in a athletic competition nearby. I chose the Excelsior based on a review here and their website. I expected a decent spa/hotel where I could enjoy a couple days relaxing on my own. What I found was a hotel whose halls smelt of mildew and whose rooms hadn't been redecorated in over twenty years. It was the kind of accommodation that would be acceptable if I had just booked into a side-of-the-highway motel, but they were charging more than your average Holiday Inn or Ramada. The condition of the hotel was such that I had no interest in risking their meals (even their free breakfast) or spa-services. The latter could have been fine, but I already felt like I'd sunk enough money into the establishment and didn't want to risk further disappointment. I wouldn't go near the Excelsior again without the guarantee of a major overhaul.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

My sister and I recently stayed at the Excelsior Spa in Ste-Adele... It was a great experience. The staff were extremely nice and helpful, and the treatments were excellent. At first I was a bit hesitant as I could not figure out why it was so inexpensive. ($550 for 3 night and 4 days, with all meals and the hotel room included, as well as 18 treatments.) However, all of my fears were very quickly put to rest.

The only thing I would not give 100% to was our room - it was a little smaller than we expected, and the TV was ancient. However, we were so relaxed at the end of our day that all we wanted to do was sleep!

I would recommend this spa to anyone looking to get away for a few relaxing days, especially other "spa virgins" like myself!

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Room was a little on the small side
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2006

I went to the hotel L'Excelsior alone for a quite get-away from it all and a pampering and was very disappointed. Firstly my room was on the third floor and very very warm whereas I had to keep the patio door open at all times. The meal that came with the room was very undercooked and for the 3 days I was there was left mostly untouched. Even eating in your room was an extra 5 dollars. I was at the point of having to get into my car and go the 15-20 minutes to Mont Tremblant to eat. There is absolutely nothing to do in the winter time (I don't know about the summer). I found the pool quite small and the same for the jazzuci. When I finally went for my massage I was deeply disappointed by the masseuse. I expected to relax but for 55 minutes I was so roughly handled that relaxing was out of the question. I could hardly wait for it to end. That put an end to my pampering. I was given a massage that made me feel uncomfortable as I was being touched and prodded in places I shouldn't have been. Needless to say that night I couldn't sleep because I was so sore and embarrassed. I was extremely glad that that was my last night. I went there so check it out as my sisters, sisters- in law and our grown female children were to book there for a weekend of pampering to celebrate my older sister's birthday in May. That will not be happening.

Stayed January 2006

Been to Excelsior Hotel Spa Villegiature? Share your experiences!