“Good Sunday Lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Main Street | York, Great Ouseburn YO26 9RF, England
+44 1423 330013
Website
Improve this listing
Good for: Dining on a budget
“Good Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We went for Sunday lunch off the set menu and was happy with the serving of the lamb and beef.
Puddingswe in a different league with the 3 of us having the chocolate brownies. wow the best we have had in a long time.
The only slight fly in the ointment was the waitress that served the main course did not know the difference between the beef and lamb plates when she brought them out and asked if we could tell the difference. A bit of extra training maybe.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

York, United Kingdom
“Quiet - You begin to wonder why”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Ate here for a 'late' Sunday lunch - although we booked in advance. ( maybe remembering previous ownerships of this establishment) - we were the only ones there !!! Although we were told there were others in the beer garden!! Can't be TOO many as carpark was deserted!! Food was acceptable (but nothing to write home about!!) - seemed a shame as this pub was always such a well frequented establishment with a superb reputation

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Great food, service not so great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

We arrived on a Friday evening as we were staying at a nearby hotel and didn't fancy the food on offer there. We came by this place by chance and thought we would try it out. After waiting over 5 minutes to get our drinks we asked who I believe to be the landlady if there was any chance of having some food. We were looked at quizically (that's the nicest way I can put it) and were asked if we had booked. As we were passing we hadn't, so the lady went to check if there was space available. As this time (7pm) there were 3 tables taken out of approximately 10. We were informed we could sit in the corner in the snug! The service from this particular lady was abrupt to say the least, but the waitresses and landlord were very accommodating. Maybe our broad Yorkshire accents made us seem out of place! The service aside, the food was delicious, highly recommended but the service left a bad taste in the mouth.
We left after two hours, during that time a party of 10 had arrived, but the rest of the restaurant was empty. So much for booking!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Selby, England, United Kingdom
“Menu very limited”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

As a vegetarian I was disappointed to find only one item available to me - pasta surprise, surprise!

It was nicely done but I thought pricey for pasta. Service was poor, the promised dessert menu never arrived so I gave up and left . I was present during the early bird menu time and the pub soon filled up with several very ill-mannered children. A time to avoid.

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bradford, England, United Kingdom
“Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I'm sure that the food here is excellent. However, my wife and I called in yesterday for a lunchtime drink. It wasn't very busy, and there were plenty of staff on but, the first pint I ordere (Rudgate Viking) was off. Distinctly sour tasting. So I took it back and, in fairness, was offered a replacement, so I chose the Copper dragon, which was equally sour, and this time cloudy. We left.

I think a little more attention to the state of his beer lines would benefit the landlord's business.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere