“YOU CAN DO MUCH BETTER!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Parador Caribbean Paradise
Road # 3 km 114.3, Patillas 00723, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Patillas
Hartford, CT
“YOU CAN DO MUCH BETTER!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2006

I decided to take my kids to a nice Puerto Rico vacation since they have never been. I opted to stay at this hotel because I wanted to show them the "real" Puerto Rico instead of all the tourist stuff up in San Juan. 1st the hotel charges your credit card way in advance for your first night then when you check in, they charge you for the remainder of the nights. I thought that was quite odd. When we got to our rooms, the two beds were tiny. They weren't twins, but I don't think they were full either. The beds were hard as rocks. I did complain and the owner did go to Wal-mart and bought a cushion for the top of the bed. The shower head did not work and the entrance door lock kept getting stuck making it very difficult to get in and out. The balcony light was out. Everything was fixed or replace except the balcony light. I complained on more than one occassion about the light and got nowhere. The restaurant food and prices was a JOKE. The food was bland and expensive. I'm not the greatest cook, but I could do 100% better. Also, in July, it get's dark at 7:30 and since this hotel is in the "hills", there really isn't much to do after 7:30. The pool opens at 8 AM (joke because days it opened at 8:30 & 9:00) and closes at 7:00. In my opinion, 7:00 is way too early to close the pool especially if the hotel is supposed to cater to familes. The basketbal court and tennis court was a great idea but everytime we went to get the balls and rackets, someone already checked them out even though I check and I saw no one at the courts. The swing set was cute for the children 6 & under. It was a a metal swing set you buy at walmart. Two seats were broken & only 1 of the two got fixed. Now, let me tell you about one riduculous rule that really had me confused. You are not allowed to eat in the rooms. Uhh, then why do they offer fridges in the room? That's an oxymoron. The hotel staff is gone at 10:00PM. You cannot get anyone at the front desk after that time. The straw that broke the camels back was when they checked us out 1 day early. We were supposed to check out on Sunday and they had us down for checking out on Saturday. Orginally we were supposed to check out on Saturday, but I called the hotel and changed the reservation. The receptionist confirmed it was changed and even told me the price difference. Obviously, whoever changed it did not change it on the computer. I received a phone call on my cell Saturday around 4:00 pm asking me why is my stuff still in the rooms. I went back and forth with the owner and she did offer to find us another hotel becuase her hotel was full. She also stated that the other people who are waiting for our room, was already there. Total lie becuase when I went to check out, the receptionist told us no one was there to check in yet. The owner saw us walk in, and she dissapeared. Luckily I have friends that live not too far from where we were staying so we were able to crash there for our last night in Puerto Rico. Overall, my experience was not horrible becuase let's face it, Puerto Rico is paradise. I do not recommend this hotel if you are looking for something to do after 7:00 pm. Also, not highly recommened if you have kids. This hotel is more for the locals who want to travel and experience different parts of the island. One or two days at this hotel is more than enough. Also, the beach is not as near at they say it is. It's down a hill and accross the street. The beach is pebble and there is way to much coral and seagrass in the water.

• Liked — It was close to friends who reside on the island.
  • Disliked — The early closing of the pool and the very uncomfortable beds.
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not eat at the hotel restaurant. It was a joke. Down the street is an awesome restaurant called Mar De La Tranquilidad. It's right on the beach and the service is exceptional.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2006

My husband and I traveled to southern PR for business and found this beautiful hotel w/ a great view, tasty food and terrific service. As a matter of fact, we returned two weeks later to follow-up on business and stayed there again. We previously had been to the Hilton in Ponce and can tell you that the service and the room we stayed in at the Parador Carribean Paradise are really not that much different. If anything, the owner of the Caribbean Paradise was extremely personable and went completely out of her way to accomodate us. We would return there in a heartbeat.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2005

My traveling companion and I just completed a four-day stay at Caribbean Paradise and enjoyed it very much. At first we had to request more towels and wash cloths, but after that, everything was fine. The light bulbs in the room were a bit too dim and the door lock was feeble, but all in all, we enjoyed the veranda outside the restaurant very much, and spent a lot of time there in casual conversation with the owners who were very nice to us and whom I found to be quite personable. For instance, after witnessing me scratching my ankles, one of the owners got me some cortisone cream; when we left faced with the possibility of being stranded at the airport due to the East Coast snowstorm, she recommended hotels in San Juan and told us to relay that she sent us; when I inquired about the ingredients in the hot corn cereal, she went to the kitchen to fetch the package for me.

Although I've given a four-star review, I'd amend that to 3-1/2 if given the choice. The owners are seeking to improve the paradore every year and plan to add a children's activity room in the future in addition to other capital improvements. Oh, and I liked the food just fine.

• Stayed January 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2004

This 'parador' charges your whole stay up front. BEWARE. The reason for this seems to be that if you complain for something, you will have to BEG to get your money back. The food is pretty bad. In our case, we requested to leave just 3 hours after checking in since the food was pretty bad and my wife started to feel sick. We went to the front desk, after explaining what was going on and that we wanted to leave, the owner did not want to give us a refund and wanted to charge the whole stay, including meals for which we had paid up front. After a small argument with the owner, there was someone waiting to see if there was a room available, and we agreed for him to get our room, and we got 50% of our money back. After all, the owner made a profit from bad service and customer insatisfaction since we did not stay even one night and she rented the room right after we checked out. Hotel staff does what it can and they try to deal with the owner in order to satisfy customers. Stay away from this 'parador'. Look for better options around, believe there are plenty. This 'parador' does not live up to its name.

Been to Parador Caribbean Paradise? Share your experiences!