“Affordable, safe, comfortable, walkable but not setup for tourists” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SunSquare Montecasino

You added SunSquare Montecasino to your Saves list
SunSquare Montecasino
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Montecasino Boulevard | Sandton, Fourways 2055, South Africa   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Fourways
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Affordable, safe, comfortable, walkable but not setup for tourists”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

PRO:
• Walking distance to shops, restaurants, casino, and shows
• Reasonable Price

Cons
• Not setup for tourists
• Clear shower stall in the corner of the room

Pro or Con depending on your perspective
• Upscale comfort (somewhat American/ business class) creates a lack of culture
• Location in NW suburbs. Away from crime and accessible to some attractions but also away from the center of the city
• Not popular with tourists. Staff was very helpful and interested in us but they also didn’t have some setup like what I’m used to.

We selected Sunsquare Montecasino because it was very safe, comfortable, reasonably priced and had many choices in walking distance. Johannesburg does not have a good reputation and there are fears/stories of crime. Montecasino offered the comfort and protection of being a large, upscale complex with multiple hotels, restaurants, entertainment venues, and shops. And we really enjoyed walking to and selecting from the numerous restaurants and shops. For example, we all indulged in affordable massages at the Thai Place and gambled for a bit at the casino. Montecasino is very clean, nice, pretty but could also be America (specifically the Venetian or similar Vegas megahotel).

YOU may want more cultural immersion. However Montecasino is very popular and I was surprised how frequently other casino/restaurant/shop/show goers would initiate conversation when they heard my American accent.

The hotel Sunsquare Montecasino was not setup for tourists. They cater to the local business/ yuppie clientele. For example – they did not have a business center for the guests to check e-mail, make reservations. We had limited access to tourist information. A few drivers hung out at the hotel but it was not a popular taxi stop. However the staff made up for this by going to extreme effort to help us out. The manager of the hotel retrieved her personal laptop from her car (complete with pictures of her dogs) to help us transfer photos to a hard drive. The bartender brought up ice in silver wine bucket for my swollen ankle (No ice or ice buckets on the floor) A staff member took me into the back office and dialed multiple car rental agencies for me. They responded to several calls for help in dialing internationally. While I appreciate the herculean effort, things were simpler at tourist hotel which got questions like this 3 times a day and had a canned answer. Ultimately I would have preferred a hotel that was better setup for my questions/ requests despite them being met in all cases.

The hotel Sunsquare Montecasino rooms and amenities were fine. The lobby is attractive, it opens up into a beautiful Montecasino courtyard with a massive outdoor TV, several restaurants, and a water fountain that puts on a surprisingly impressive show to lights and music in the evening (ala Belliago style). Our included breakfast was wonderful each morning and they had a Starbuck counter much to the delight of one of our group.

The staff as I mentioned were extremely friendly and nice. And not in a good service way... more in a genuine – it’s a-treat-to-see-you-and-I’m-interested-in-you way. They asked about my limp when I sprained my ankle and called us by name. I think we were the exception to their uptown hotel and they appreciated our conversation. They were more business- like with other guests. We took pictures together and we’re Facebook friends now.

The other reviews mentioned the awkward position of the showers in the room and it is true. The showers also have clear doors so you’d better be on intimate terms with your roommate. I had warned my group of 4 people about this and everyone accepted it and did not comment it on it further. Otherwise it was fine – reasonable bed, minifridge, teapots and coffee, an awesome red lip-shaped phone, good built in closet cabinets. One other thing to consider – there is sometimes live entertainment in the courtyard complex and the windows are single paned. Ask for a non-courtyard facing room if you want it quiet before 10 or 11.

Montecasino is located in the northwest side of Johannesburg in the suburbs. This was very convenient for us as the Lion Park, Cradle of Humankind were on that side of the city. Also you could jump on the highway to get to Pretoria to the North.

If you can afford it, or there is a special, I would consider Palazzo at Montecasino. I booked SunSquare because Palazzo was double the cost and because I thought we could still use the pool at Plazzo. However I noticed a sign in the staff’s office indicating that this policy had changed and SunSquare guests were not allowed to use the pool at the Plazzo anymore.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

Stayed at the hotel for 6 nights, the room was very modern - you would definitely want a room to yourself though. The staff were very friendly but they didn't seem to do anything simple, room was cleaned every day. I suppose the rooms were small in size but i thought they were perfect for just one person.

The montecasino complex was the best though, there was a HUGE choice of restaurants, a casino, a theatre, bars, a club. The complex had everything you needed right on your doorstep. The complex was stunning and parts of it reminded you on a small italian village, you didnt feel like you were within a complex.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

A very nice hotel, rooms imaginativley designed. Great location for me as company was a walk away. Plenty to do nearby but a little soul less and not really any sign of it being Africa

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

Stayed at SunSquare for 5 days for business and over a weekend. Travelling as a solo woman for part of the trip, I wanted someplace which felt safe. There were some problems with the hotel but I would stay there again ... unless the nearby Palazzo is running a promotional price :)

Pros: right in the montecasino piazza so lots of access to restaurants, casino, activities- felt very safe even being a solo female traveller. Modern rooms. Great, copius breakfast buffet. Access to Palazzo hotel pool which is really nice. In room coffee/tea facilities.

Cons:

*Disorganized front desk staff - I had called in advance to have someone assist me with booking tours for the weekend, and they were completely confused as to what to do ... it seemed as if no one had ever wanted to book a tour before (how is this possible?! It's a hotel!). They never confirmed any tours, and then I got a call randomly one morning at 6AM that a tour guide was there to pick me up!!! I ended up walking over to the fancy Palazzo hotel and having their concierge sort out the tours for me - Palazzo staff were excellent.
*Bathrooms - there is no separate bathroom - the sink is directly in the room, the shower is a clear glass enclosure in the room, and the toilet is a frosted glass enclosure. Fine if you're staying alone - but I would only share a room if you were very comfortable seeing each other naked and having NO privacy about anything bathroom-related.
*difficult website booking process! Charged me double what my colleague was charged for staying the same dates.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
johannesburg, south africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

Stayed for one night to celebrate our anniversary. The staff at the front desk were ok, tried to be helpful but took a long time to find my reservation. The room itself is on the small side. The bathroom is not everyone's cup of tea with the shower basically in the room - not a lot of privacy. The room was nicely decorated and the bed and pillows were extremely comfortable.

Breakfast was very good. Huge selection of fruit, pastries, eggs any way you wish, coffee, tea, fruit juice and cold meats.

The outdoor parking is extremely small and most people will have to park in the underground parking which attracts a fee of R10.

The location is excellent. Monte casino is a beautiful place to be based and convenient too.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

Stayed in the Sun Square for two nights and wasn't thrilled at all.

Prebooked an airport pick up thru my local office, it didn't work, nobody at the airport, the hotel claimed to haven't received the booking. To stay fair, they reimbursed me for the (hefty) taxi fare from the airport.

The room somewhat reminded me of a room in a Ibis or Holiday Inn Express - just that it was twice the price than these accomodations. It was clean, had an open bathroom concept - not my taste - and a queen size bed only. Ok if one travels solo but for couples probably too small. For my very personal taste the pillows were to hard. The aircon controll didn't work, despite several attempts it didn't cool down but constantly stayed at 24.5 C. I was happy that I came thru the South African winter...

One thing I liked was the breakfast, good choice, freshly cooked, friendly and attentive staff.

The evening before I checked out I booked a lift to the airport for the next morning, stressing that I'd really appreciate this to work this time. Yes, you might have guessed it, the receptionist didn't have a clue th next morning. I was just lucky enough that one of the hotel cars was present at the time...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

We stayed here for one night to enjoy the theatre and restaurants at the Monte Casino complex for my wife's birthday. On arrival staff were excellent and we couldn't fault anything. There was no parking and so we parked directly in front of the hotel which the staff had no problem with whatsoever. We were given a Piazzo facing room on the top (5th floor - as I had requested at the time of booking - and this is a must if you decide to stay here) which overlooked the Italian-like square, bustling with restaurants, a musical fountain, a stage and an actual working bell-tower (although they turn it off at night!). The room is compact, but the layout is extremely smart and there is more than enough space to move about. All fittings and fixtures were modern and in good working condition (but then this is what you would expect from a Southern Sun hotel).

We had dinner at the Ciao Baby Cuccino Restaurant (also in the Piazzo which overlooks the musical fountain) which, for this chain, does not fail to deliver quality food and service at a good price.

We could watch the illuminated musical fountain from our room before tucking in for the night.

Our rooms was extremely quiet and we were only woken up the next morning at 8am by the first chime from the bell-tower. The room has two very large windows which are shuttered by a roll-down blind (not a blackout curtain) and refreshingly the windows can open although I personally prefer the temperate AC above the somewhat smoggy Johannesburg air. The over-sized shower (this hotel has no baths) was fantastic with a constant temperature and consistent pressure (enough to take your skin off at full opening!). We sat outside (in the piazzo) for breakfast and here too the staff were extremely friendly, helpful and saw to our needs. The breakfast buffet is generous and well presented. My wife had left her iPhone on the table and the waiter (after we had checked out some 20 mins later) came running after us to return it with not even a hint of expectation for something in return. This is incredible in this day and age!

We also visited the Bird Gardens at the Monte Casino complex which is worth the R35/adult if you have an hour or two to spare.

This hotel is slightly more expensive than the City Lodge type units, but it's worth the money for location, service and quality.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to SunSquare Montecasino? Share your experiences!