“Characterful and inviting country inn” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Dyrham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Situated just off the A46, a mere stone's throw from the M4, The Crown is a quintessential English Country Inn. Serving great food all day, every day our thoughtfully prepared menu emphasises the best in fresh English produce. Enjoy one of Wadworth's great cask ales or choose a selection from our extensive wine list while relaxing next to one of our roaring fires.
Bath, United Kingdom
“Characterful and inviting country inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We've often driven by this beautiful inn but last Sunday we decided to pop in for lunch - hoping they'd have a roast on the menu. We were in luck! Two of us plumped for turkey while the other had wild rice and mushroom risotto. Fantastically juicy turkey, loads of it, with goose fat roasted potatoes, al-dente veg, braised red cabbage with honey and cinnamon. The risotto was a delight too, so I think it safe to say our satisfaction was measured by three very clean plates. To summarise: imaginative menu, good food, courteous staff, busy but no undue waiting for our meals, great decor. Parking a little choc-a-bloc due to building works, but hey, easy enough to park elsewhere. We will return!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bath, United Kingdom
“Believe the reviews.........bad attitude”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

We have eaten here in the past on a regular basis when travelling to Bath to visit friends. It has changed hands since we last visited and it has gone down hill in a major way. Firstly there is not many parking spaces for the pub due to building work in the car Park at the rear and secondly the staff and management have this arrogance that they are the best and their food is the best. Well it is far from the best, My partner had a so called fish pie, not so much fish but more mash potato and dilapidated poor excuse of a portion of vegetables and all this for £13.95. My partner was offered more vegetables but there would be a charge, she declined. I had a steak that was supposed to be medium well but was pink in the middle. Upon questioning the waitress she told me thats how they come as we sous vide them first. I have eaten steak for over 30 years and its always been cooked the same medium well and it is never pink!! Triple cooked chips were nothing to write home about.

All in all not as good as it used to be and by reading the other reviews on here where customers offer honest reviews the manager will come on here and try and claim they are not what their customers say they are and blame the customers.

It is a shame that a once great pub can change.

Shepton Mallet
“Claimed quality never an excuse for poor quantity”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Tonight I dined at The Crown with my wife on the way back from a business trip in Oxfordshire. This was my first visit to this conveniently located establishment given its close proximity to the M4 but I'm sad to say it will be my last!

We'd had a long day and were both looking forward to our meal. I chose the Fish Pie at £13.95 and my wife The Guinea Fowl at £14.95.

Fish Pie:

The fish pie was served in a dish the size of a sugar bowl and probably did have a piece of fish in it although the overwhelming content of the bowl was mashed potato. The bowl itself was placed on a large elliptical white plate. A short taxi ride away from the fish pie was what I was reliably informed by the waitress amounted to a portion of vegetables. Said portion consisted of 2 carrots, 1 parsnip and 2 rather undernourished pieces of broccoli (I know how they feel). Noticing the obvious dismay on my face she asked if i would like to order another portion! A quick calculation in my head brought me to the conclusion that even if I took out a mortgage it would probably be beyond my means to obtain a portion of vegetables at this establishment that could be reasonably described as such, so I declined her offer.

In summary this main course amounted to little more than a very overpriced starter!

Guinea Fowl:

Served again on a large elliptical white plate, this amounted to a rather poor offering consisting largely (again) of a small portion of mashed potato accompanying the main event which was two sad looking legs of Guinea Fowl which were rather dry having only recently been introduced to the sauce.

As a businessman who regularly travels the country and has had the good fortune to dine in some fabulous establishments where main courses range from £5.00 to £50.00 this venue has failed me completely! In any establishment a main course should be adequate and this clearly was not, and no claims of superior quality particularly when they are unfounded can compensate for this. There is, in short not generosity of spirit and pride emitting from the kitchen here but rather, how small a portion can I get away with! The net result, these seasoned diners, and by association their friends and family will never use this establishment again!

London, United Kingdom
“Dissapointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Nice looking place, but disappointed due to flavorless,over priced food. And being told the bar lady wanted to go home at 9.30 - so we had to finish our drinks and leave! Will give somewhere else a try next time.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bristol
“poor food again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

it has been a regular stopping place nr m4,, staff always tryhard, but food has gone downhill recently,, very over cooked liver and bacon, no veg, just mashed and an odd sauce,,, very over ran by children ,, all told disapointing, will drive by,,