“Heaven in the vallee de l'enfer” 5 of 5 stars
Review of L'Oustau de Baumaniere

You added L'Oustau de Baumaniere to your Saves list
L'Oustau de Baumaniere
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Chemin departemental 27, 13520 Les Baux de Provence, France   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Heaven in the vallee de l'enfer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

A totally gorgeous setting amongst the white rocks and low shrubs of Les Alpilles, we were totally breath-taken when we drove up the hill past the medieval ruins of Les Baux. Continuing on we found the hotel nestled down in a little lane beneath the peak. Everything about L'Oustau is perfection right down to the finest detail - the staff are superb, the food is exciting and unforgettable, technically perfect and lovingly made by a great team (we were invited in to the kitchen and told to feel at home, spending a good 30 minutes looking at different stations and meeting the team of young and friendly professionals who were such a relaxed and clearly happy team that reflects in the dishes they prepare). I have rarely met such a fantastic hotel team and am fascinated at how the under-stated owner - who is very visible at meal times - has created such a united approach to quality and care for guests that is at once genuine and ever-present from every single member of the team. In a 2 michelin star restaurant, you might expect an overly formal atmosphere but l'Oustau does it magically. Even with a young child in tow, we were made to feel extremely welcome by the maitre d'hotel and we all had the most delicious and exciting food with wonderful options for children made with just as much care as the adult dishes. The wine list is massive - in all definitions - and, once again, the approach was just right with the charming and knowledgeable chief sommelier (who's been there for over 30 years) giving excellent and affordable recommendations without asking us how much we wanted to spend. Have I mentioned the bread? To die for and made by a team of 2 one of whom told me it's his life's dream (we are the beneficiaries). I could go on...the setting is beautiful, the buildings are all charming and the decor and artwork makes this a very special place to spend a few days, with 3 swimming pools and a lovely spa, electric bikes and a tennis court - plus the incredible old village to explore. The restaurant is expensive but, with so many people in the crew dedicated to creating world class guest experiences, I can see why. Our late autumn visit was lovely - soft light and fallen leaves added romance and elegance to the setting. It's set me up positively to face the winter back in the UK.

Room Tip: We stayed in Le Manoir, lovely but located 900 m from the main house so we had to drive up for break...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Jean André C, Propriétaire at L'Oustau de Baumaniere, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you for time to share your nice experience at l'Oustau de Baumanière.
Jean-André Charial

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Farnham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We started our stay in Le Manoir but my husband found the suite too dark and I was not too impressed with the plumbing so we transferred to a suite up the hill at the main hotel which my husband preferred. I thought Le Manoir was charming despite the plumbing and could imagine that in the heat of the summer a cool dark room would be very appealing! We were there in September, however, and found that the small pool there was not heated! The pool up at the main hotel was supposedly heated but didn't seem so!

Despite these criticisms we found the staff charming and the cuisine outstanding. We would have preferred a changing menu, however, as it became somewhat boring after five nights. Nevertheless, we would go again but not for five nights. Three nights is probably the right length of stay. The breakfasts were nicely judged and the best we have ever found in France.

Room Tip: We had a suite with it's own private terrace facing the afternoon and evening sun, which we much...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Orinda, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just spent 5 nights in a "suite." I had booked through American Express and my travel agent recommended this hotel and obtained a good rate for us. I can only suppose the hotel was irritated that we were not paying full price as we were given a room over the kitchen and above the entrance to the hotel and restaurant. The room was decent size, the bathroom fine though a bit small. We immediately noted how hot the room was and someone was sent up to address the A/C-to no avail. We then had 4 horrid nights in a room that was hot and noisy. We could not open the windows as if we did the noise from the people outside-and the smoke from their cigarettes-would come into the room. Also employees sat outside at the entrance talking and smoking and this noise came into our room. Until late at night we could hear the banging from the restaurant kitchen. After the fourth night, when I spent most of the night awake on the couch (softer than the bed), I complained again to the front desk- I asked if she thought this sort of room-hot and noisy-was worth the price. I was informed yes it is reasonable. Really? I have traveled the world extensively and if this is the room quality for 600 to 800 euros a night then I recommend that travellers go elsewhere than Provence. The front desk woman finally informed me that the A/C temperature had been reduced as it was winter. Someone was sent to our room and the A/C was adjusted for cooler temps and the room finally really cleaned. The last night we were able to sleep as the room was cool and the restaurant must have been closed as no banging. There was no apology from management at all, nothing. And be prepared to be asked at least three times a day if you want a reservation in the restaurant-an intrusive pushy act. For the price this hotel is simply not worth staying. I am more than willing to pay alot for a room but I do expect s certain standard-a cool and quiet room does not seem like an excessive request. And again, not a single apology from management. This establishment is a restaurant with a hotel on the side. I feel comepletely ripped off.

• Stayed October 2013
Jean André C, Propriétaire at L'Oustau de Baumaniere, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your comments about your stay.

I’m very surprised and sorry about your complaint about the noise of the kitchen as it is the first time I have one. I will check that as soon as possible.
Concerning the room temperature, we had actually turned it onto warm as it was October and it didn’t seem our guest would need to freshen up the room. However as it was between 17° and 22° outside, there was no need using the heating and it is a shame you could not turn it off, for technical reason we have solved.
You wrote our establishment is a restaurant with a hotel on the side however I just can regret you didn’t want to have this experience during the 5 nights you have spent. This would surely have changed you general satisfaction.

Best regards,
JA Charial
Rochegude
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at L'Ousteau de Baumaniere on the final leg of our trip to Provence and it was the perfect ending to a fabulous trip. We were a little worried about staying in Le Manoir - but it's location next to the health club at Cabro and the tennis courts worked out perfectly for our active family of six (all adults). The rooms were lovely, service terrific - but my only criticism is of the restaurant - overpriced and not quite up to its Michelin three star.......

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Christchurch, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We had lunch here in August. It was quite faultless AND we only had The Menu. Amuse bouche,
starter, main, puddings to die for, a trolley laden with glace fruits - everything quite beautifully presented and by attentive but not intrusive staff. We had stayed here previously - in the annexe - which was delightful too. When we opened our curtains in the morning, a table for breakfast was set with starched linen on our private terrace. Heavenly.The little boutique is to die for! Al fresco dining on the terrace is a MUST.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

My husband (then boyfriend) and I stayed here in 2006. I am new to trip advisor and thought that if I only ever write one thing on the internet that it will be to wholeheartedly, unreservedly recommend L'Ousteau.

On arrival we were escorted to the beautiful terrace overlooking the pool and surrounding mountains and asked if we would like 'un bon cafe'. The waiter was not exaggerating it was the nicest coffee I have ever had. Jamaican Blue Mountain. Meanwhile our bags were taken care of and we were checked in without having to stand at a check in desk. Checking in whilst overlooking the stunning pool and scenery whilst having the best coffe I have ever had - well things only got better from here.

Our room was the nicest room I have ever stayed in (I have stayed at Le Manoir aux Quatre Saisons amongst other very nice places). I had a tree in the middle of the room and a divine bathroom complete with a tub the size of a small pool! The hotel staff upgraded us for free, bless their heart, to the best room in the house. We also had a private terrace overlooking the stunning surroundings.

The absolute highlight of the trip was the restaurant. I am not being big headed here, but I have eaten at some pretty good places and this was the best food I had ever eaten. I felt like I had died and gone to heaven. Lobster, souffle, separate cheese and ice-cream / sorbet trolleys. Honestly the food here puts other places in the shade. Nicely topped off with champagne and some very nice wines.

The staff were amazing. The whole trip went off without a single hitch and we have been living off the memories since.

The only thing I can say is if you are even remotely considering staying here then do not hesitate just book it RIGHT NOW. You will not regret it.

The only downside is the price, but it was well and truly worth every penny.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the tree in - amazing. Has its own terrace too.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Valbonne, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We looked forward to staying in this hotel but we were very disappointed when we entered our room - this really was not what we expected: old furniture, old curtains, etc, everything was very dated.
It was so bad that we immediately left the hotel and did not stay for the night.
Unfortunately we had to pay the room anyway, although we only stayed in it for 2 minutes. But even if they would have paid us the €400 to stay we would have left...

• Stayed August 2013
Jean André C, Propriétaire at L'Oustau de Baumaniere, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
I am really sorry your room did not meet with your expectations. When it is possible we are pleased to offer the choice with another room however in high season it is not often the case as the hotel is fully booked. Our cancellation policy specifies that the room night is charged in case of last minute cancellation.
JA Charial

Been to L'Oustau de Baumaniere? Share your experiences!