“Love this place, despite a few bumps.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of L'Oustau de Baumaniere

You added L'Oustau de Baumaniere to your Saves list
L'Oustau de Baumaniere
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Chemin departemental 27, 13520 Les Baux de Provence, France   |
Paris, France
“Love this place, despite a few bumps.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I've been going to the restaurant at Oustau de Baumaniere for many years, and stayed at Le Manoir several years ago........it is a place that I love love love! This year, we rented a suite at Le Manoir de Baumaniere which was ideal for a 5 night stay. The decor is tasteful in the provencal style, and the gardens are peaceful & beautiful. What I love most is that the hotel is nestled down under the Alpilles and you really feel cut off from the world, which is what I'm looking for in a vacation. The only thing that was a bit annoying is that the housekeeping service was very weak!!! On our first day there, at the end of the day, we put our "Do NOT Disturb" sign on so we could rest, HOWEVER the housekeeper decided to come in despite this! After this, there was very minimal service. 1st night NO turn down service (please note they are a 5 star hotel), had to request the 2nd night (was average), 3rd night (bed done but curtains left open), 4th night (like 3rd), 5th night (bed done and pile of our dirty towels left in the middle of our room near the bed). We did speak to the reception at the beginning of our stay regarding the do not disturb issue & the lack of turn down service the 1st night, but we were made to feel that we were a bit difficult so we didn't mention all these other annoyances. At 640€ a night I don't think we were out of line. Anyway, housekeeping is their weakness. And I should mention bed comfort inadequate and towels are pathetic. The towels are thin and rough, and do not belong in a 5 star hotel. Their pool towels are 100 times better than the ones in the room.

We also "treated" ourselves to dinner at the Oustau restaurant 2 times during our stay. Both nights we had a great table on the terrace with a view of the hills (gorgeous!) Service warm, friendly, and exact. They were like a well oiled machine. As for the food, I enjoyed it but not more. Wine list was fantastic, and we loved our choice!!

Our other meals (lunch & dinner) were at Le Cabro d'Or, which is connected with Oustau de Baumaniere. Good food, but service extremely long. Extrememly! One night we had been there 40 minutes and we didn't even have wine or water on the table. And just to get the menu, is probably 15 minutes. Besides the housekeeping, this was truly unbearable. The staff very nice & friendly, most seem like locals from the area. The food was inventive, fresh, and a pleasure.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
lacabrodor, Propriétaire at L'Oustau de Baumaniere, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
I am pleased you love our hotel and gastronomy but I am sorry for the housekeeping issue you had during your stay. We pride ourselves on our property upkeep and attention to detail, but clearly we were not up to standards on your stay and for that I apologize. I have shared it with my team and we will do what is necessary to avoid it to happen again. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. We hope to see you soon.

Jean-André Charial
Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

L'Oustau was our destination to celebrate my 60th birthday and my daughter's 30th. Our accomodations were excellent and the attentiveness of staff superb. The highlight of our visit of course was our dinner at the resataurant. It was amazing. My wife love grand marnier souffle and ask for a special order for the grand marnier souffle crepe. Our waiter said he would see what the chef could do - of course, the beautiful souffle arrived to everyone's delight. We appreciated the hotel staff's concern about our comfort. This is a place for celebrating special times. Not to be excluded is the fact that L'Oustau is well situated to explore Provence and the its beauty.

Room Tip: We stayed at Le Manior. I would like to try the main hotel next time.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Danville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We ended our adventure with dinner at the restaurant, which was a fantastic way to do it. It was a real treat for all of us as the prices are not for the faint of heart. We had the vegetarian menu, which was outstanding -- both the presentation and the flavors. Everything was amazingly great. And the cheese cart - I could just look at it the whole day. It was an amazing selection and displayed. Everything about this meal was worthwhile - the service, the people watching, the wine, the bread, the food, the cheese and the setting.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

My wife and I had a wonderful meal there, did not stay. We are foodies and eat at some great places but felt that L'Oustau did not stand out for what they were charging and was a bit overpriced.

Wanaka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed for one night. When I booked I was aware the room was "900m" from the main hotel but it is actually quite a distance that can really only be negotiated by car. ie. We had to call for a ride to and from the restaurant. Not quite as idyllic as finishing your meal and then drifting up to your room. Room in the Mansion was fine. Air con average. Our dinner on the terrace was divine and as expensive as you would expect. Service excellent. The village itself was ok but other French hilltop villages better (eg St Paul de Vence). Had to reluctantly pay €9 each to actually enter castle grounds to see the view.

Room Tip: The Mansion is driving distance from the main hotel. Not very convenient.
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I probably have been at L'Oustau de Baumaniere about 5 times and the last two times I felt the Hotel going down unfortunatelly because Les Baux en Provence is an amazing place to visit and stay overnight visiting the area around it and St. Remy another small village. This hotel is probably still the best there but it is not the same it used to be. I was there in a weekend the hotel was full and I was at The Manoir that is an annex of the main hotel. It is not the same thing on the contrary The Manoir is something different a rustic place with no service at all about 1 mile far from the hotel. Anything you need there (except breakfast) you have to call the hotel and wait for. No matter it is a nice old little farm but too expensive for what it provides to the guest.
Pay attention when you apply for a reservation there and do no accept The Manoir if they offer to you.

Room Tip: Do not accept the alternative of a room at The Manoir stay at the hotel main building otherwise chos...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

My family and I reserved rooms at L'Oustau de Baumaniere through a travel agent. We were shown photos of the main hotel building, with no mention of other properties. When we arrived, we were told we were booked at the Manoir property, which is 2 miles away. We drove there to find that our room was basically located in a basement. Apparently, staff stayed in that building, as well, with one large black dog keeping watch outside their door. Our children were roomed several hallways away from us. In order to dine or relax by the pool, we had to load the car, and drive back up the hill, through the traffic around the Les Baux site. We, also, had dinner there one evening. When we arrived, the dining room had plenty of seating, but we were escorted to the "library" room, to a table in the very back. Horrible atmosphere and very poor treatment, despite spending a thousand dollars on dinner. The area was beautiful and Les Baux is amazing. But, I would not stay at this hotel again. Oh -- and check your bill very carefully.

Room Tip: insist on a room in the main hotel. enjoy breakfast there by the pool, but don't have dinner or...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to L'Oustau de Baumaniere? Share your experiences!