“Not Fancy But Clean, Functional, Great Rates and Friendly Staff!” 4 of 5 stars

Plains Motel
1004 Second St W, Brooks, Alberta T1R 0N8, Canada   |
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Brooks
Cochrane, Canada
“Not Fancy But Clean, Functional, Great Rates and Friendly Staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I'm a contractor doing work in the Brooks area for the last 3 months. The LOA (Living Out Allowance) isn't that great, and the chain Hotels here are all around the $110-140/nt bracket. The Plains is an older styled motel, but it's clean and half the 2/3 the price of the other guys. Standard single is $75 and a kitchenette is $80 (3 night minimum though). Gus's Pizza is next door (best pizza in Brooks) and Ricky's across the street (one of the better restaurants in the area). They have wireless internet but I find the rooms closest to the office connect better (maybe my laptop?) Also I like the table space for my laptop, printer and scanner. Staff is friendly and appreciative of repeat visits. Anyway Plains is my choice when in Brooks!

Room Tip: 152 is a kitchenette and gets the best Wi-Fi reception
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
dkusman, Manager at Plains Motel, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Mangaement and Staff of the Plains Motel would like to thank you for your review. We strive to keep a clean, quiet motel. We are not fancy so we can keep our rates reasonable. We prefer to put our money into functionality versus esthetics. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Medicine Hat, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

I spent $84 +tax for the least expensive, single room. The room is very small and does not look
good. The room and whole hotel is definitely in need of maintenance - cracks in paint, marks etc. The air conditioner is awfully noisy and so is the small fridge. You can get forget the peaceful quiet night's sleep unless you unplug the fridge, rendering it now useless, and don't use the
air conditioner/ heater. But, I needed the air conditioner even on a cool October night
because the room ( 1st floor ) is too hot even with the heat off. As for their pool, you'll have a better time in your bath tub because the pool is awfully small and shallow. The sauna takes too long to heat up. And the "pis de la resistance"- their housekeeping award that they
brag about in all their advertising is a bunch of hogwash - I found dirt/ dust on the ledges/ window sills etc. - I think this is false advertising or, at least, very misleading in regards to their cleanliness.

And for only $70+ tax you can stay in a very reputable hotel in Medicine Hat this time of year, Oct. 2011. This is advertised on the big sign on THE MEDICINE HAT LODGE'S property near the #1 Hwy. This surely beats Brook's under par cheapest room ($84 + tax )
PLAINS MOTEL

As well, regarding the pool, if your staying only 1 night, do not count on using the pool the next morning, for it does not open until 11 am, check out time.

The hotel staff didn't even allow me, who was tired, to check in early, so therefore I had to
kill time all day until 4pm.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Brook's plain's Hotel, for as the name suggests, it is very plain. Instead, t...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Red Deer, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Not updated at all,,old small tube tv's no shampoo or bar soap i guess its the all-in-one thats in a dispenser....Its the owner that are unpleasant that stand around the front desk staff....Even that they are charging more then the other motels they still want more money if you come down to visit some one.....poor poor rooms

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Red Deer, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

I found the night shift, front desk lady to be rude, unpleasant, and difficult to deal with. The rooms were OK for the price, but the housekeeping could do a better job. I frequently stay at hotels on business trips all over Alberta, and I find the Plains motel to be sub-par with their competition. I would only recommend staying here if all other hotels in Brooks are fully booked.
When I give my business to companies, I expect to be treated with respect, dignity, and kindness. I got none of these while staying at this hotel and will not stay here again unless I have no other choice.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else for a room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

We stayed at the Plains Motel just before Christmas. The room was clean and quiet, the front desk staff were friendly and helpful, and the price was great. We had loads of fun in the pool and sauna, and will definitely stay at the Plains again if we come back to visit the Bad Lands.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Manitoba
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

August 2010 - We stayed here because of the reasonable access (1 1/2 hrs) to Drumheller and didn't want to go further after driving for 11 hours. Upon arrival we were told that we were updated to a kitchenette because of no standard queen rooms left (we had reserved this 3 months prior so found this strange). The motel overall, while having a clean appearance, has somewhat of a run-down appearance. The room, with private entrance, was spacious, appeared very clean but dingy and the fridge didn't work. Lots of ammenities for the price, including an indoor pool which we had to ourselves. The motel website states that they have 53 rooms, they had no more vacancies, yet we saw only about 6 other rooms being used in the building we were in. The other 2-storey building behind ours, which has the pool with locked entrance in lower level, had no guests/vehicles that we could see. Again, we found this strange. This town apparently has a killing plant, and when the wind blew, it didn't make sitting outside very enjoyable because of the smell. The stay for the price was OK but we would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

We've went to have a swim in the morning (the only reason we stayed there), only to find the pool opened at 11:00 am, same as checkout time. We spent our money for nothing and would not advise this place to anyone!!!!

When I made my reservations, I checked to ensure the pool would be open and warmed up, they just didn't bother to tell me that I wouldn't be able to swim there in the morning when I got up. What a rip-off.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
dkusman, Manager at Plains Motel, responded to this review, August 16, 2010
We are sorry that you were unable to swim but our pool hours are clearly marked in the office as well as on the motel information sheet in your room. If you had asked about the hours when booking we would have happily told you that they are !!AM to 10PM. We are a small motel with little staff and we are unable to open the pool any sooner. The hours make it possible to have a clean and sanitary pool for our guests to enjoy.

Been to Plains Motel? Share your experiences!