“Planet Mars” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Drumheller

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Drumheller
Directions
Drumheller, Alberta, Canada
Granby, Canada
“Planet Mars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

When I arrived in front of the hoodoos in Drumhellar I felt like I was on another planet.Really neat to be there and say that this is my country.The badland is a dry area with cactus..imagine In Canada .All year round cactus.A must to see when you are near Calgary.It is about an hour drive .Really worth going to.There is a big museum worth visiting too while you are there. Around 10 $ for the day.

London
“Fabulous tourist attractions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2008

We would really recommend Drumheller for anyone who likes unusual rock formations and dinosaurs. We were so surprised with the area as we had never heard of it before going to Alberta on holiday in May 2008. We knew all about the Rockies, but nothing about the dinosaur finds in Drumheller.

The Royal Tyrrall museum was absolutely fantastic and had many wonderful dinosaur and other mammal bones on show. We were very impressed with the whole thing. We also went to the Dinosaur national park but it was rather a long drive although very interesting when we eventually got there.

If you are going to Alberta on holiday don't miss Drumheller, you won't be disappointed.

Montreal, Canada
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

When going south of Drumheller, you'll pass Rosedale, and then, you'll soon get to the Badlands, in East Coulee, where you'll see magnificient hoodoos next to the road, on highway 10.

These are the first, and most beautiful ones, you'll see. There are not many, since the rock on top of the pillar degrades over time, and fall down, breaking in pieces. But the ones you'll see are worth getting there, as they're so beautiful, among the fantastic views.

Vancouver, BC
“Peace and quiet among the dinosaurs.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2006

In October I visited Drumheller, a two-hour drive northeast of Calgary, Alberta and home of the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology as well as "the world's biggest dinosaur," actually a lookout tower in the shape of a huge tyrannosaurus. The view from the lookout isn't all that inspiring, because I'm not into physical geography, but it gets interesting back on ground level. Driving around town, there are lots of dinosaur statues and dinosaur-themed decor at the local businesses, such as "fossils" on the sidewalk outside the CIBC bank. The fire hall has a dinosaur done in Dalmation spots. Any one statue by itself would look kitschy, but the overall impression having seen so many dinosaurs is that the townspeople are very proud of their association to paleontology. Even some private homes have dinos on their lawns; I saw them on the way to the "hoodoos," a group of mushroom-shaped sandstone pillars just east of town. I was hoping the hoodoos would be bigger--we drove right by them at first! But the amazing thing was how quiet it was at the site. I thought I was speaking softly but heard my echo. It's just fresh air and the badlands, and it's just off the highway. In the other direction, west of town, is the Tyrrell Museum. The exhibits emphasize fossil discoveries from Alberta. Outside the museum is a lookout (view still uninspiring) and walking trails, and even with more people around than at the hoodoos, I only heard calm voices and a gentle breeze.

This was definitely the autumn trip that I wanted after working overtime through the summer in the city.

Been to Drumheller? Share your experiences!