“Not worth the money” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Drumheller
auckland
“Not worth the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This place has a very quaint exterior and is a bit cutesy inside.
It was comfortable and quiet except for the air conditioning , we could not cool the place at night and the air conditioning really just made a lot of noise and no cooling.
I couldn't open my window but my wife could open hers.
There was no facility to make yourself a coffee or tea although it was available downstairs but its hard to be bothered going down there at bed time.
It was clean and tidy but just a bit tired.
The people were very friendly and helpful but the place was very expensive for what you got..
It's set up for a romantic spa weekend rather than the cross world traveller.

Room Tip: If you want modern facilities go elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hi and thank you for your review. You have brought up many good points. I'm sorry you weren't able to work the air conditioner - I will make sure we show all our guests how to turn them on. And as a weary world traveller, it would have been our pleasure to deliver steaming hot coffee or tea to your room - we make it fresh whenever a guest wants a cup. I am happy to report that some of the 'tired' areas of the 25 year old hotel are being upgraded this year so next time you visit it should be all spiffy again. WE find our room prices are in keeping with the other rates in town and have actually lowered the prices on many rooms until our spiffing is complete. You are correct, we do cater to romantic getaways with jetted tubs, fireplaces, coffee delivered to your room and peace and quiet. Patrice Wolf owner.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Caledon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I took advantage of a discount offered for this inn (40% I believe) which made our one night stay in Drumheller more affordable. The service was wonderful. We showed up early and Zeke was a great tour guide, pointing out what we should see while we were in Drumheller. We stayed in the Upper East room, which was a very large room with a private bathroom that contained a huge jacuzzi tub and comfy bed (the room itself can accommodate 4 people with a pull out bed). I do believe it was the room Owen Wilson stayed in when he was there with Jackie Chan while filming Shanghai Noon, which was pretty cool. There is a TV and AC in the room. I couldn't get the AC on for some reason so we were a little warm but not uncomfortable. We elected to eat breakfast there, I can't eat gluten so I was served a delicious omelette but my boyfriend was lucky enough to try Zeke's stuffed french toast which I'm told was delicious. Thanks to our hosts for such a great time!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Your review was very kind, thank you. Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay in Drumheller. We are getting into our high season and midweek in June is the only time we'll be able to offer discounts until October. Thank you for finding us in spite of trip advisor saying we had no availabililty.
Okotoks, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Myself and my 3 sisters planned a spur of the moment girls weekend getaway and we're so glad we found the Heartwood Inn in Drumheller. We didn't have any real agenda other than we wanted to spend some quality time together. We were given a super comfortable room that easily accomodated us; a wealth of information about the area and what to do, and had a fabulous breakfast the following morning. The owners were so friendly, welcoming and accomodating that it truely made our weekend stay that much more memorable!

Room Tip: When calling or emailing for a reservation be specific about what your plans/purpose of visiting Dru...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for writing a review! You are correct that all of our rooms are different and can accommodate groups depending on their requirements. Drumheller has so much to offer, museums, Atlas coal mine, beautiful drives and for some just peace and quiet. Patrice Wolf owner
EDMONTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I have never had the urge to write a Review on a hotel I have stayed at. Service has never “wow’d” me to the point of taking the time to say something about my experience. However, here I am. Staying at the Heartwood Inn made the Drumheller experience that much more special and worthwhile. The service and “entertainment” (thanks to Zeik) was phenomenal. My boyfriend and I, along with another couple we travelled with, all felt at home and welcomed.

I HIGHLY recommend staying at this hotel. Should you choose to stay elsewhere, you are surely missing out.

Thank you everyone at the Heartwood Inn for such a wonderful experience. See you soon.

You're friends,
Julia and Dave from Edmonton

Room Tip: Ask to stay where Owen Wilson or Jackie Chan stayed!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for the 5 star review Julia and Dave, we do enjoy our work and I guess it shows. Some people are happy with just a hotel room, many couples who come to the Heartwood are looking for more of an experience - Zeke likes to tell a few stories and he is the BEST and most enthusiastic tour guide. I hope you'll be back soon for another visit. Weather's always good here in the fall.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband was unable to find anywhere else to book this weekend, so we called and booked in here. We were booked in the main turret, but were upgraded to the upper at no extra cost due to other bookings. Very comfortable bed, awesome jacuzzi. May be an inn, but I found it quieter than most hotels as I couldn't hear anyone walking down the hallways at night.
Service was super friendly, and Zeke's savoury stuffed French toast was perfect for breakfast.
My husband was skeptical when he saw the outside, but is super happy we stayed.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your very kind words about our hotel. We have done extensive renovations in many of our rooms, this year we hope to get the outside done. We look forward to seeing you again. Patrice Wolf
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Stayed one night at the Heartwood Inn in Drumheller on my way to Edmonton. I was travelling with my small, well-behaved dog and chose the Heartwood because it was pet-friendly. Well, it was a little more than pet-friendly; the owner of the Inn spent a good five minutes giving my little guy a good rub-down which he enjoyed immensely! The Inn is a beautiful old house that has been converted; I stayed in one of the basement rooms which had been recently renovated with a lovely mix of antiques and modern decore. The king-sized bed was very comfortable, the very modern spa-like shower was a treat, and best of all, the room was absolutely quiet -- nary a street noise and only the soft sound of footsteps from the room above. I'd have to say this was the nicest small hotel I've ever stayed at in Alberta, and the owner-operator was friendly and helpful in suggesting a good local restaurant. Five stars across the board.

Room Tip: If you're looking for quiet, I can heartily recommend the basement rooms at the Inn.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you for your 5 star review. I remember your cute little dog, Zeke is a real dog lover for sure! I'm thrilled you liked the room we allow pets in rooms that have wood floors so we can double steam clean, also glad you mentioned the new oversized walk in shower - it's a new addition and I think it turned out pretty nice. I hope you'll stop in again soon.
Patrice Wolf owner
Cannington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We had the bungalow beside the main building. Was very well appointed and we were looked after.

Initially breakfast was not available due to lack of demand. However on the first morning they offered breakfast as some unexpected guests arrived creating demand. Sadly we had already eaten.

Excellent hosts. Very welcoming. Only down side was seemed rather expensive but perhaps us Brits are not used to the prices.

Despite the above are recommended.

• Stayed May 2013
pzwolfDrumheller, Owner at Heartwood Inn and Spa, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Always appreciate hearing from senior contributors - and you were very kind to us. The Chancel guest house is our most expensive unit - and with a kitchen, 3 beds, back yard with firepit and bbq - a very popular one with family groups. Our vacation bungalow also has 3 beds full kitchen and yard - and is less $ - a better option perhaps thanks again, Patrice Wolf

Been to Heartwood Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!