“Excellent Value!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Executive Suites Hotel Burnaby

You added Executive Suites Hotel Burnaby to your Saves list
Executive Suites Hotel Burnaby
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4201 Lougheed Hwy, Burnaby, British Columbia V5C 3Y6, Canada (Willingdon Heights)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Burnaby
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent Value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We stayed two nights at this hotel because of a Groupon offer and were surprised at what an excellent value it was. We expected a simple room but it included a small sitting area and a separate bedroom. We were delighted to discover a fridge, sink and microwave. Very useful! The bathroom was just fine. We received breakfast coupons for both mornings and expected just a continental breakfast - but when we went to their restaurant (Tivoli's) - a lovely array of fresh fruit, baked goods including small croissants, pancakes, scrambled eggs and bacon were available plus an assortment of juices. But best of all were the charming servers - with special mention to Lourdito and the next day Gordon. In fact, Gordon was so keen to offer friendly service I asked him if he was the manager of the restaurant. We also had dinner and their Indian Butter chicken was tops.
Considering the price of their rooms, plus the convenience of this good restaurant (and there is an outdoor pool) - this is an excellent value.
When one rates any establishment you have to consider what you are paying. Our Groupon was for $96 - which included a full breakfast (buffet style), free parking and solid, clean accommodations. What a bargain!
We will definitely stay here again because the staff are friendly and they have room service all night. (Seems comforting although we did not use it,)
A very good value.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
GMBBY, General Manager at Executive Suites Hotel Burnaby, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time out to comment on your stay with us. I am so glad to know that you appreciated our amenities and service. I am glad you like the value our Groupon promotion provided. I am hopeful of your continued patronization and look forward for your next stay with us.

Bhupinder Gill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Me and my partner stayed at the hotel recently and our experience was just great. The staff was so welcoming, friendly and they accommodated our needs so well. The location was just perfect since it was next to the train station so was easy accessible. We found the service outstanding and cleanliness was good too. I would definitely recommend it to everyone.. Great experience with great food and service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time out to comment on your stay with us. I am so glad to know that you appreciated our staff and their personalized service. I am hopeful of your continued patronization and look forward for your next stay with us.

Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Be aware.
We found a bed bug in our bed sheet. Who knows how many more they have.
Definitely not a clean hotel. Found hair in our bath tub, sofa, etc.
Also, housekeeping lady tried to enter our room without knocking our door at 9 am (way before chekc out time).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GMBBY, General Manager at Executive Suites Hotel Burnaby, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time out to comment on your stay with us. Despite us assuring you that your room has been check and our pest control company has cleared the room to be bed bug free, I am disappointed to see that you have put this review on trip advisor. You also did not mention to us anything about the hair or the housekeeping lady during our conversation regarding the bed bugs.

Should you or anyone reading this review need to see a certificate of clearance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Bed bugs are carried by travellers and it could very well be the case that you were carrying the bed bug you saw with you from your previous place of travel or residence.

It is always helpful if you provide feedback while on property or immediately so that we can inspect and take steps to eradicate the issue.

However, we still thank you to choose us as your preferred place to stay.

Dawson Creek, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

They were very accommodating with our two children. The room and bathroom was clean. We would definitely put it on our list of places to stay again. The only critique is that the air conditioning unit was terribly loud and we had to switch it off because the kids kept on waking up as it clicked.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time out to comment on your stay with us. . I am hopeful of your continued patronization and look forward for your next stay with us.

Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I was going up to beautiful BC for the Vancouver marathon. Yes, I am one of those who are crazy and like to torture themselves ;)

I was looking for places to stay near the shuttle pick up points and this hotel was one of the options. It seemed nice by the website, some reviews, and the description. Also, I saw they had a Jacuzzi suite option, SCORE! That would be great for after our race. I booked the room on Kayak as it was the cheapest and was excited for a nice place to stay since we would be so exhausted from our run.

After a 7 hour drive up we arrived at our hotel. We checked in and was happy with the hotel entrance and staff. Our Kayak booking was there and no issues with our reservation or getting assigned to our room. But we open the door to our room and WHOA! Double beds! Did I miss something on our booking? We should have had a deluxe suite the first night and a Jacuzzi suite the second night (yes, I went cheap and changed rooms since we were going to be really early and the jacuzzi would have just been a waste). I looked up on their website and I guess you can have double beds in their deluxe suite. My bad, but who puts double beds in a suite!?! Maybe lots of places but I have never run into that before.

Oh well, live and learn. We headed out for dinner and I asked about a late checkout so we could change rooms after our race. They graciously said it was no problem. Another plus.

The next day we arrived back to the hotel after our run, cold still and sore. It was pouring rain and cold during our run so we were looking forward to a hot shower and a nice soak in the jacuzzi. They told us the room was not ready yet. OK, no problem, we will just go wait in our current room. Of course our key cards would not work since it was past checkout. They could have helped us with that, but instead we had to make another trip to the lobby. They nicely re-activated them for us. We packed up a few things in preparation for the new room and about that time they called and said they rushed and got the room ready for us and we could get the keycard. Up to this point, things we pretty good. My mistake on the double bed thing so no worries, everyone had been friendly. Good so far. Current room was just OK, but looking forward to the upgrade room.

We got into the new room and this really is where my review goes from a 4 star to a 3 star. So the jacuzzi suite is basically the same exact room as we just left. The bathroom just has a very poor jacuzzi tub instead of a shower. The tub is not very deep and the jets are minuscule. Just a low end jacuzzi. No there upgrades in the room at all. <sigh>

I shower first since I am the fastest ;) and then while my wife is showering I call room service. I figured we could snack on some food while we soak in the tub. I look over the menu and then phone the front desk per the instructions on the card. However, I am told that room service is closed and won't re-open until 5pm!?! It is 3pm in the afternoon, not 3am!!! Not only is this a very odd experience compared to any other hotel I have ever been in, but they have a special insert in the booklet that gives a menu for 2pm-5pm as it's serving hours!!! I bring this to the front desk's attention and he says he is not sure what I mean and informs me again there is no available room service.

Ok fine. I am exhausted and sore and don't feel like arguing or taking another trip to the lobby to show him the flyer so I give up. We just shower, rest, and leave for an early dinner. Upon our return we soak in the tub, go to bed and leave the next day.

Overall:
The hotel was ok. The rooms were not super updated but didn't feel ancient. Not all hotels can constantly renovate, I get that, so I will give the room 3.5 stars. The .5 comes from the comfortable beds as they were slightly above par. The cleanliness of the hotel and room I would give 4 stars. I would give 3 stars to the staff and this is tough for me. On the one hand they were friendly and did accommodate the late checkout with no fuss. However, not knowing your own room service menu and also a slight hassle on checkout were more of a negative than a few smiles at the beginning. The value I would give 3 stars because of the lame jacuuzi and the lack of a room upgrade when moving to the more expensive suite. Also, room service only being available for certain hours is just lame.

Would I book there again? No. I would explore other options. It could have been MUCH worse and I am appreciative that it wasn't, but certainly nothing compelling to make me go back.

Room Tip: Get the cheapest room as they are all the same really. Don't get the jacuzzi upgrade, NOT worth...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GMBBY, General Manager at Executive Suites Hotel Burnaby, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time out to comment on your stay with us. I am sorry that you didn't like the rooms and their condition. We are investing regularly in renovating our rooms. last year, we investing in putting new mattresses in all rooms.

I have taken your comment regarding our room service with my team. we have full room service available on request during 2pm till 5pm. I am sorry this was not conveyed to you. I have ensured that now we communicate and accommodate few requests we have during these times.

Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Booked a boardroom for a meeting with another company. So happy that i didn't book to stay overnight or I would have been scrambling to make other arrangements. The hotel is old, dingy, musty. A terrible place to meet. Worse yet, we were put back in an old boardroom. It was freezing in there, and no way to control the temperature. It took three times to get them to increase the heat. Everyone was complaining. We were supposed to have lunch at the restaurant, but we went for a walk to the Cactus Club just to warm up.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time out to comment on your stay with us. I am disappointed to hear regarding you experience with our meeting facilities' would request you to please get in touch with me so that I can get details of the room you were in as we checked all our meeting rooms and I also asked our banquet manager and we didn't find any issues. I am hopeful of your continued patronization and look forward for your next stay with us.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I have stayed at the Executive Suites Hotel several times and have always found it to be a very pleasant experience.
The staff go beyond the call of duty to be helpful and to accomodate their patrons in whatever way is necessary.
I will stay with them any time that I am in the Vancouver/Burnaby area!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with patio!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Bhupinder Gill

Been to Executive Suites Hotel Burnaby? Share your experiences!