“I will come back” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The New 401 Hotel

You added The New 401 Hotel to your Saves list
The New 401 Hotel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2950 Boundary Road, Burnaby, British Columbia V5M 3Z9, Canada   |
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Burnaby
Vancouver, Canada
“I will come back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

To be reasonable, always an evaluation should be based on the costs. I give a very good rating to this hotel, because when I look at my one week stay there, I would say I definitely will come back. As everybody says, the staff are great and even in the first day you may make good friendship with them. That is true. This place is in walking distance to BCIT which was exactly what I needed. It is also in walking distance to a Walmart , a Canadian Tire and even walking another five minutes you reach to a superstore. A Chinese restaurant and also a Wendy's are just a few minutes walk from the hotel. Other good things about this place; you have the control of your room heating and cooling systems. I know everyone has his/her own taste about this. The down marks about this hotel, The place is old, I didn't find it dirty; no I wouldn't say that at all but it is old. For me the noise was the major problem. The hotel is located in a high traffic cross section, and during my stay, there was a road construction. I can't think of any other negative point , but other positive points : Fresh coffee/ Tea always available in the lobby with a warm smile. there is a fridge and microwave in the room and for some other appliances, such as an electric kettle, Iron or Ironing board,... just ask and you will have them in your room. Hope you enjoy your stay as much I did.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
TheNew401Hotel, General Manager at The New 401 Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide a review of your recent visit.

Our team is really happy to read about your overall positive experience as a guest. It really makes our day to know you enjoyed your visit. As a smaller boutique property, we strive to offer our guests great individualized service during their stay.

We also appreciate your comments about our central location and the close proximity to BCIT, shopping, and several dining options, as well as Burnaby Hospital.

With respect to the roadwork, it has been a provincial government project which hopefully will come to a complete close in the near future. When calling our hotel directly to make a reservation, please let us know and we will do our best to offer you a guestroom on the residential side of our property.

We also very much appreciate your comments about our economical rates. It is our goal to be the friendliest, best-located, economy hotel in the Vancouver/Burnaby areas.

On behalf of our team, thank you once again. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Great service and staff was very helpful and friendly!
The view was awesome (mountains). The hotel is close to Vancouver - central to transit
Complimentary coffee is always available.
If you like Chinese food, you can go to : Burnaby Palace ( 300 yards from the hotel) - great food

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nanaimo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Price was reasonable and we were only there to sleep, so didn't need any amenities. We had two beds, one comfortable, one all slanty and hard. Location is a great starting place to drive from and parking is free, but there is no where to walk to. Noise from traffic is an issue as on a very busy intersection with a highway. The room, furniture and bathroom were not very clean but bedding did look fresh and the mattress looked clean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I booked this hotel mainly because of the price and that they allow pets. When we got here the staff was very helpful. I would have to say they have the best hotel staff I have meet to date. And we travel a lot.
There is a few things I dislike about the hotel such as our bathroom was very dirty when we got here the tub needed to be srubed witch I did. The room serivce dosent come every day we had to go ask for clean towels on our third night and we have had to empty our own garbages. When we got here our carpet was dirty with white stains on it and also looked like pee stains on the floor.
On our thrid day here there they were painting the outside of the doors dark brown. No one knocked on our door to tell us this we found out by opening our door and getting paint all over my shirt.
I do belive once the renos are done on this hotel it will be a great littlr spot. Even though all the negative things that has happen I would still come back. They have great front desk staff and great rates.

• Stayed March 2013
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My partner and I travelled to Vancouver for a vacation to explore the city. We had stayed at the 401 hotel for 6 nights. We absolutely loved that the location was central to transit and several restaurants, which made it easy for us to travel and explore the city in the first couple of days. We rented a car on our third day as we were planning on travelling great distances within the city. We were happy to know the hotel catered for free parking as well. Our room was simple and basic, but it was clean and pretty big. The part that absolutely made my stay here so much nicer was that they upgraded us from our standard room to a mountain view room, complimentary. The staff as well, was pretty helpful in giving us directions and with providing information on attractions to visit. The complimentary coffee in the lobby definitely kept our early mornings going, and was admittedly the first thing we looked forward to when we woke up. As for the price, we were very happy for the service we received. It was simple, cheap, and cheerful. The only downside that they may have is that they did not have a business centre or a printer when I needed to print off some directions, but the front desk person, Al, let me use their printer. Oh, and there’s also a Wendy’s right across the street, which really helped for when we ate out late one night! We’d definitely consider staying here again if we travelled to Vancouver in the near future (which we hope would be soon, as it is such a beautiful city!)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Langley City, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We desperately needed a place to stay and we made some phone calls around. 401 gave us a very inexpensive weekly rate. We were told that they were working on updating the rooms and had recently taken the hotel over from previous owners. I am not an overly picky person, but this room was awful. It reeked of old beer, the balcony looked like it was about to crumble off, the mattresses would nearly touch the ground when we sat on them. I wasn't pleased with that. I'm sure that the work that has been done is what earned this hotel the extra star up from terrible, because I could genuinely see that the people working there were kind and understanding. They have a long way to go from being a three or four star in my books. If I'm ever in the Burnaby area again, I'll be looking somewhere else for a place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
TheNew401Hotel, General Manager at The New 401 Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I know you are a seasoned traveler and visit many hotels across the country.

First, on behalf of our staff, we very much appreciate your positive comments about the level of service and respect you received as a guest. We are a small family-owned hotel and pride ourselves on our customer care.

With regard to our updates, we continue to update rooms on a room-by-room basis, and that process includes replacing out beds. Now that the weather is improving in Vancouver, we are organizing painting and re-surfacing of the private balconies contained in each guest room, and and your feedback in this regard is appreciated.

Since your stay with us in June 2012, we have added guest laundry as a service, carpeted the upstairs, tiled the downstairs, updated our lobby, and continued to improve the guest rooms.

Thank you again for your comments, as it gives myself and our team items to address at the property. We wish you a great Spring 2013.
Surrey, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

my bf and me and my dog stayed here for a few days last month. we chose it because of the price and pets are ok but it's pretty rundown. staff are good and makes an effort but its an old bilding that needs a lot of work. like the bathtubs and walls need paint its noisy too so we moved to another place after a couple of days and that was better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TheNew401Hotel, General Manager at The New 401 Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for your comments, Nicky. Yes, we are definitely one of the few pet-friendly hotels in town and we really appreciate your positive comments about our staff and your positive rating of our location. With respect to the bath tubs, we are currently updating many of our tubs and re-tiling those bathrooms at the same time. We have also recently completed a number of improvements to our hotel, including new tiles in the lobby and hallways, new carpeting upstairs, the installation of updated wood flooring in select rooms, and a lobby upgrade. We are also working on painting the balconies in each room. We have done a lot of work so far, but I definitely agree there is still work to be done - which we continue to do. We thank you very much for your comments and patronage, Nicky. Best wishes.

Been to The New 401 Hotel? Share your experiences!