“Really enjoyed our stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Painter's Lodge

You added Painter's Lodge to your Saves list
Painter's Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1625 McDonald Road, Campbell River, British Columbia V9W 4S5, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Drive-In Fishing Package
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Campbell River
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Really enjoyed our stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in an artist room. It was quite large with 2 queen beds and a large wraparound balcony as we were on a corner. We found the staff very friendly, especially the lady in the restaurant in the morning for breakfast. We ate in the pub one night and the restaurant one night, both meals were very good and tasty. We used the shuttle to go across to their sister hotel, April Point. My husband hired a kayak for a couple of hours and I treated myself to a back massage in the Spa. It was one of the best ones I've ever had. It was especially nice to then sit on the deck at the spa having a herbal tea and look out at the boats in the Discovery Passage.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
I’m so happy you and your husband enjoyed your stay. Nothing beats a good massage! Please come visit us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

A summary of phrases that come to mind: tacky country decor in the rooms; bathrooms that are not separate from the main living/sleeping area; no air conditioning; unusable or minimal facilities (tennis court, and fitness room); Children’s Entertainment Room is a brightly colored room with nothing but a TV set; nothing to do other than fishing; located in a boring residential area; unprofessional management; and so much less. See a few of the pictures. The fishing can be good, but this is based on the guide you get; this aspect is beyond the guest's control. This property’s claim it that it was once popular in the 1960's and 1970's. Decades later, nothing has been updated. Friend, keep looking for another place. This place is a dying relic. I predict they will sell the property to a developer who will tear it down and build houses or something else as major capital would be needed to resuscitate this place.

Room Tip: I saw a few rooms and they all have the same tacky decor, no air conditioning, and no usable interne...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I’m sorry our amenities were not up to you standards. We are constantly making improvements. Thank you for bringing some of these issues to light so we know what to focus on in the future. I do have to say, however, that your statement “nothing to do other than fishing” is incorrect. We offer wildlife adventure tours, whale watching tours, wine & cheese cruises and a pool and two hot tubs. We also have a free water taxi that runs to our sister resort, April Point, where you will find scooters and kayaks for rent, and a full service Spa. All these services, along with three different restaurants at your disposal means there is always lots to do at Painter’s Lodge. If you were not informed of all the activities available then I do apologize and that is something we will have to work on. Thank you for your feedback.
Gibsons, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed two nights at Painter's Lodge in September 2013. It's steeped in fishing culture, of course. Great old photos on the walls of people from earlier times proudly holding up their giant catches. A very pleasant location, indeed. Lovely grounds.

Our "water view" room was a peek-a-boo view, so make sure you know what you're paying for. The room itself was spacious and comfortable, though dated. What really struck me, though, was the housekeeping - or lack thereof. Approaching our room with our suitcases after checking in, we passed a clear bag of slimy-looking garbage left in the passageway, along with bags of used laundry. Some guests must have left a few dirty dishes outside their room perched on the railing - these, and the bag of garbage, were still there when we left after two nights. It was pretty unsightly. In addition, the passageways are open to the outside, and leaves and debris had fallen and been swept or blown into drifts that were never tidied up. This all spoke to a lack of care and attention before we even turned the key to our room. I know it's September and it must be hard to stay on top of this, but no one had tried for some length of time.

We went for breakfast the first morning (lovely dining room, pleasant staff, decent food), then for a stroll, and later to the fitness room, leaving a tip for the housekeeper. To our surprise, our room had not been made up when we returned almost two hours later. (There is no way to indicate that you would like maid service or privacy.) In the early afternoon the housekeeping staff asked us if we "needed anything." By then we said no, don't bother. We went out for a walk and found that our room had been cleaned during this second absence, at around 3:00 p.m.

When I say "cleaned," it was almost impossible to tell that anyone had been in there, except that the tip had been accepted. The bed had been thrown together in such a sloppy manner that it almost looks like how I leave it BEFORE the housekeeper comes in. The bathroom sink had been wiped out, and some things rearranged, but I'm sorry to say it was the worst job of housekeeping I have ever seen.

Our balcony was also covered in old dead leaves and debris that looked like they might at one time have been swept into a few piles but never picked up. We, of course, tracked some leaf litter into the room, where it remained on the carpet after the room had been "cleaned."

The fitness room is a lovely little place that has potential, but most of the equipment we wanted to use was broken and/or missing parts.

Our dinner in the restaurant was great, and we had good weather and a gorgeous sunset.

We took a zodiac tour, and found it to be worthwhile, since we located a pod of orcas and watched them from a respectful distance. A pod of Pacific white-sided dolphins were leaping about on both sides of the zodiac. The operator was knowledgeable about the local waters and we felt safe and warm in our dry suits. We feel we got our money's worth.

The place is not living up to its potential. It has a slightly "haunted house" feel due to neglect.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I am greatly disappointed to hear about the level of service you received. This is absolutely not acceptable. I will be speaking with our housekeeping staff to ensure this doesn’t happen again.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at April Point on Quadra Island for 3 nights, but ate at the pub at Painter's Lodge - originally just to experience the complimentary tender ride across Campbell River - but were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. Fish & chips: very good. Dessert (home-baked apple pie with a separate dish of ice cream): excellent. Soup: superb. We learned that the soup chef is now 75 years old and has been coming to the lodge daily for over 30 years just to cook soup. His split pea soup was perfection. The wait staff are friendly; the prices reasonable and the view from the outdoor deck (with propane radiant heaters if required) an added bonus. In our travels throughout BC, we've discovered that many of the best restaurants are hidden away in resorts and golf courses, and as such, are not reviewed online. A pity.

By the way, the stay at April Point was very pleasant, with a rustic room and access to one of the best driftwood beaches in BC (far superior to Long Beach): Rebecca Spit on Quadra Island.
Whether you stay at Oak Bay Marine's Painter's Lodge property (a little more upscale accommodation) or their April Point site, be sure to bring your car over on the ferry for at least one day to visit Rebecca Spit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind words. I’m so glad you enjoyed your meal at the Tyee Pub and I look forward to your next visit!
appleby magna,leics
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed one night in transit and we are not fisher folk. Our room was on the waterfront so we could watch the herons. It was a little scruffy but O.K. for one night. We ate in the pub not the restaurant. Nothing special, fried stuff, but our server was bright and friendly, luckily we checked our bill and found a drink that we had not had on it. Much apologies. We only had a glass of wine and a beer so not quite sure how this happened. Next morning the cooked breakfast was fine but nothing special.
Our impression was that in spite of the freindliness no one was trying too hard and things were a bit run down.

Room Tip: Waterfront for interesting views
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I’m sorry your stay at Painter’s Lodge was only satisfactory. I assure you we have much higher standards. We strive to be extraordinary, not just ordinary. Thank you for your feedback.
Richmond, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

On Sept 18, 2013 I came to Painter's Lodge with 2 business colleagues who had traveled to Canada from the U.S., the reason for the visit was my attempt to show them the best that Vancouver Island had to offer in regards to dining out. We first went to the lounge where we were, for the most part ignored (even though we were standing up at the bar.).
We finally went over to the (one third empty) dining room where we stood in a line-up with 6 other people while waiters, waitresses & what appeared to be mai‧tre-ds scurried back & forth in apparent confusion. After approx 15 minutes when we finally got to the front of the line the person we were greeted by launched into a long winded explanation as to why dinner would take a very, very long time to serve because they had just had a large seating & that maybe we should dine instead in the adjacent lounge. I explained to this person that the tables available there were tiny (not enough room for 3 people) to which all I received back was an additional barrage of excuses & recommendations. Eventually in exasperation we went over to the pub, ate a hasty dinner served by a kindly waitress named Tammy & left. All in all a very disappointing experience. Later on when I called Painter's Lodge to express my unhappiness I asked to speak to the general manager, was put on hold for 10 minutes & then the line went dead. When I called back I spoke to someone named Melodie who treated me like I was dirt. When I explained what had happened up to this point - Melodie told me she had given the person I had spoken with 4 minutes earlier permission not to speak to me because I was calling at a very late time of night (11pm). In total disbelief I repeated that I had asked to speak to the general manager & that the line had just gone dead, to which Melodie said she (the other person) had realized this & that "another call had come in & it had cut me off" Melodie then flip-flopped between; I was calling too late, & that the general manager did not work till then, & that the other person had offered to put me through to the GM's voice-mail. All of which was totally contradictory since if as per Melodie's earlier comment, where she had acknowledged that I had been cut off - how then would I have been able to leave a voice-mail for the GM???
In my opinion if this is the best Painter's Lodge can do my advice to management is shut down your operation, retrain your staff & only open again when you are capable of delivering that which you are advertising & charging for.
P.S. If 11pm is too late a time to be talking to your customers, DON'T PICK UP THE PHONE

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

After reading reviews saying the rooms were dated, we were pleased with them. The views are great, the shuttle trip over to April Point was a nice little hop. We took in the Adventure Cruise in a ten person zodiac and saw Pacific White Sided Dolphins and Stellar Sealions. Weather conditions were not great, quite foggy but I felt very safe.
Our package deal was for one night, a full breakfast in the dining room and the zodiac trip. We felt good value for our money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for the kind words. I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay, and your adventure tour. Come back soon!

Been to Painter's Lodge? Share your experiences!