My husband and I were staying in Campbell River for a wedding, so we decided to make a mini holiday out of it. I reviewed all the hotels on trip advisor - alot of the reviews were downright SCARY for some of the others out there. So we booked at Painter's Lodge and got a fishing package deal. Three nights and one fishing trip. We were in the Victoria wing on the ground floor, although we were told all the ocean view rooms were booked, our room looked out over the grass and you could see the ocean and Quadra island. The room is average. The drywall has issues - (nails popping and tape delaminating) and really needs a redo! The linens are dated (several reviewers have commented on this already) and our blackout curtains had a hole in them, but we didn't care - I mean, how much time do you spend in your room?? We ate at the pub and at the restaurant - the food was delicious - (try the seafood melt - new item on the menu this year). We also took part in the famed Sunday brunch buffet - all I can say to it is WOW. All the breakfast items you can think of, plus an entire table of seafood! Chocolate dipped strawberries, prime rib, rosemary chicken, ravioli, apple bread pudding - AMAZING. Pricey (approx $25 per person) but you won't be disappointed. The presentation is beautiful!
We took advantage of the free water taxi over the April Island and rented scooters. What a blast! We went over all the roads on the island - stopping at inlets and ferry docks. Beautiful and peaceful. We also went fishing - our guide was Doug - a Campbell River 'lifer' and a great tour guide who loves what we does. We caught five fish in total - one we had to let go as it was wild, two chinooks, a coho and one I lost at the boat! :-( Doug made it fun and educational - you can tell he loves what he does. The staff packaged up our fish for us to take home in a waxlined box with ice packs, but you can choose to send it to be smoked or have the chef cook it that night for your dinner!
The staff were great - front desk greeted you upon arrival and seemed genuinely happy to be there. There was only one person who worked as a greeter in the dining room that actually rolled her eyes at me when I asked sit on the patio! Everyone else was fantastic. Super friendly and great at their jobs.
BOTTOM LINE: Would I stay again? We just got home, and we are already looking at our calendars to see when we can get back there, so YES! Highly recommend it - very relaxing, beautiful place to be.
- Also Known As:
- Painter`s Hotel
- Painter`s Hotel Campbell River
- Painters Hotel Campbell River
- Painters Resort Campbell River
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the pristine shores of Vancouver Island, Painter's Lodge offers world-class salmon fishing, breathtaking wildlife and scenery and full amenities. When you're not fighting a mighty salmon on the line, soak in the outdoor pool, refine your serve on the tennis courts, or watch marine life play as you tour the coastline on a Wildlife Adventure Tour. Connected by water taxi, guests enjoy all the amenities including new Aveda Spa at April Point Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Painter's Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.