“Not recommended” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sandman Hotel Castlegar

You added Sandman Hotel Castlegar to your Saves list
Sandman Hotel Castlegar
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1944 Columbia Avenue, Castlegar, British Columbia V1N 2W7, Canada   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Castlegar
BC
“Not recommended”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed here on business out of convenience. If I were to come back to Castlegar, I would stay somewhere else.

The entire hotel has an odd odor to it. I thought I would get used to it but I didn't.

I had a room near the back but the noise from the road out front bothered me all night.

In ALL if the light fixtures in my room, there was only 1 of 2 working bulbs. This was too much of a coincidence to be just burned out bulbs. One fixture didn't work at all. Surely the maids would notice all the burned out bulbs and advise housekeeping. Anyway, having the rooms dimly lit to save a few dollars seems like an odd choice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GMCastlegar, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Castlegar, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you very much for your review we appreciate all comments from our guests. It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your stay and that we were not made aware of the deficency in the lighting. Some of our rooms have the light switch to operate the ceiling fixture beside the bed. This switch could possibly be difficult to see due to it being near the bedside lamp. I have asked our housekeeping team to be more aware of lighting in the rooms and to make sure all fixtures are in proper working order. Thank you once again for your comments and hopefully we will see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The lobby and outside of the Sandman Inn is nice. The pool area looked nice as well. The bathrooms in both rooms that my company had booked were dirty (mirrors not cleaned, hair in the sink, whiskers on the counter), there was garbage under the beds, the coffeepots and cups were dirty, and the elevator smelled like urine. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful and it was quiet but the beds are hard and obviously older. I definately won't stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. Unfortunately your room was not up to our usual standards. It is unfortunate that you did not make our front desk staff aware of the problems with your room. We pride ourselves on our customer service and they would have been more than happy to correct this problem by either offering to move you to another room or have our evening housekeeper come and re-clean your room. We do hope you decide give us another try on your next trip through castlegar.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My stay at the sandman in castlegar was great! I appreciated the warm welcome from the moment I stepped foot into the hotel right to the friendly Sales Assistant who helped me to my room (found it a bit confusing with the hallways how to find the right one to my room!).

Rooms were quiet.

It would be nice to have food service so I don't have to leave the hotel looking for a place to eat - but on the other hand, there's many restaurants/fast food places within blocks of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.
Invermere, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Over the years I have stayed at the Sandman Inn in Castlegar and have found it a very pleasant stay and the staff are wonderful and helpful and that makes a big difference for me to other hotels I have stayed at where the staff is not as friendly. Over the years all of my concerns have been met and dealt with in a very professional and friendly manner. The Inn may need some renovations in places but over all I am pleased with the rooms and I will continue to book at the Sandman Inn when in town.

Room Tip: corner suites are larger ,I found the rooms on the west side quieter, excellent location ,because a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the great comments and thank you for taking time to let us know how we are doing it always a pleasure to here from our regular guests. Look forward to seeing you again in Castlegar
Fraser Valley, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We are loyal Best Western guests and could not get a pet friendly room there, so I ended up making a reservation at the Sandman Inn in Castlegar, BC. Upon arrival the pet-friendly room with a king size bed was not cleaned yet. The front desk offered to "upgrade" us to a room with 1 queen bed and a small sitting area. All the pet rooms are located on the main floor. As soon as you enter the hallway you encounter a very strong stench of cigarette smoke - it is like walking into an ash tray ! I asked the front desk about this and she confirmed that smoking is "allowed" in some designated hotel rooms on the main floor and 'that the doors must have been open an the wind blown the stink all over the lower level". The room doors are not marked with "smoking" or "non-smoking", therefore I assume they allow smoking on the entire floor. This is Canada Select 3 1/2 star property and I pointed out to the front desk that having guests breath this stink during their stay does not seem 'up to standard' for Canada Select. I thought that smoking indoors in public places was no longer permitted in BC? I told her that if I had known we were getting a pet friendly SMOKING room, I would not have booked there !!
The front desk lady instantly made a room available for us on the second floor, even though pets were not allowed there.

On the plus side: the room on the second floor was nice, the beds are good so we had a good nights sleep, and ... the room was very clean !

Room Tip: don't stay on the main floor, unless you are a smoker.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMCastlegar, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Castlegar, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your comments in regards to the hotel. Yes we do still have smoking rooms within the hotel, 17 rooms out of 134 are smoking rooms, they are all located on the main level in one hallway. I am sorry that at the time of your arrival we obviously had smokers in their rooms but in this area they are very popular rooms for our guests. I am happy that our guest service agent was able to accommodate you in an alternate part of the hotel and you found the room comfortable and clean. I do hope we see you again in the future.
Kaslo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My family and I really enjoyed the pool. My husband enjoyed the hot tub most of all. The pool wasn't too cold and the hot tub wasn't too hot; although it would have been nice if the jets worked. Front desk said the jets have never worked.

I was disappointed when I discovered that breakfast wasn't free, but even more so when I discovered it wasn't even offered on the weekends! What is that? They charge $5 per person, which is more than reasonable, except that I can't say whether or not it's worth the price because we stayed on a Friday night and the breakfast is only offered Monday-Friday mornings.

The exercise room was very tiny and didn't have many machines but it had what I needed; a TV, a treadmill and a mat for my kids to sit on while I ran on the treadmill.

The public computer was sufficient and well placed; off the lobby but not out in the open. It was nice to see free coffee and apples available in the lobby, too.

We had stayed here before and the room was not very clean the last time we stayed, but this time it was much cleaner and the toiletries supplied were of decent quality. The remote control was not in the room when we first arrived, but front desk was prompt in bringing one to us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GMCastlegar, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Castlegar, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the pool, hot tub and fitness room during your stay. Yes the jets in the hot tub are circulating jets not jaccuzzi jets this is why we do classify it only as a hot tub not whirlpool/jaccuzzi. It is unfortunate that our front desk staff did not inform you that the continental breakfast is now available throughout the weekends so you could have been able to try out the offerings we do have. We are constantly striving to improve and it is comments from our guest either good or bad that help us to improve not only our hotel but also our guest service. Thank you once again and we hope to see you again in the future.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Got stuck in castlegar due to heavy snow.Got into room which was quite decent.Only problem i have is with the cleaning crew.Used the microwave and noticed one of the bowls was filled to the brim with someones nut shells.Dishes were not even looked at wonder what else was overlooked

• Stayed December 2012
GMCastlegar, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Castlegar, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention this is not our normal standard. We normally pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms but obviously we failed in this circumstance. We do have a very experienced staff that normally take pride in the job they do. I have brought this to the attention of all the housekeeping staff to make them aware of this large oversight and to pay more attention to detail. We appreciate your comments and hope to see you again in the future. If you have any further comments I would appreciate hearing from you please feel free to contact me at any time at the hotel

Been to Sandman Hotel Castlegar? Share your experiences!