“If this is Cafe Michael, it's a stained glass wonder!” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Seattle, Washington
“If this is Cafe Michael, it's a stained glass wonder!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Wonderful stained glass, everywhere, all types. Service was good, menu is varied, prices are OK. We shared a small pizza and, while we cannot verify this, we both had a bit of stomach upset the next day (it could have been the breakfast from the Windborne). The salad was good, and regardless of the iffy tummy the pizza was quite tasty. It's really a 3 1/2

Visited August 2012

56% Recommend
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Astounding stained glass collection creates unique atmosphere for a jewell of a restaurant in a town without expectations. Great value, tasty, varied menu and terrific service. Best pizza ever! Great ceasar salad

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Nice lunch menu”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I took my mother to Michael's lunch and was quite pleased with their menu, service, and the meal. A year and half ago I went here for lunch and didn't think it would be a place that I would return to but a did change my mind and gave it another chance. The special was beef dip and that was the dish I had before and could not eat so this time ordered something else. My mother ordered a shrimp crepe with ceasar salad and I ordered crap crepe with ceasar salad. They wasn't much for crap in my crepe, mainly mushrooms but my mother's crepe had lots of shrimp. Ceasar salad was OK. Service was good and the waitress was very pleasant. I would go here again but would be selective. These new owners, their cooks, and their menu just cannot fit into the shoes of Gabe.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Castlegar, Canada
“Not Like It Used To Be”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

For those of us whom remember Gabe's, this is not the same. Quality is greatly lacking from the restaurant we often frequent. It USED to be the best place in Castlegar. Now BBQ ribs are small and dry. The serving of spaghetti feels like it was made for a child and the veggies are saturated in oils. Mousse was too buttery. If I wasn't there for a gathering, I would have asked for my money back, or at least told the owner how horrible this is.

I'm sure out-of-towners will find it satisfactory but please - its not like it used to be.

I miss going to Gabe's on a regular basis. I would recommend the Greek Oven or traveling the extra 1/2 hour to eat from one of Nelson's wonderful places.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Abbotsford, Canada
“Great food, wonderful people.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

My wife Sue and I were looking for a "non-hotel" food experience in Castlegar, B.C. We thought we would try "Cafe Michael" as it looked interesting from the outside. Once inside we found a great menu, the ower Diane Wong and her staff were delightful and our meal was excellent. The Caesar salad was the best ever, the Greek ribs, according to Sue, were the tastiest she has ever had and my New Orleans garlic prawns were a taste treat to be remembered. The decor was fun and well thought out. We wish they were closer to home, but, we will find a reason to travel through Castlegar again, just to sample more of the "Michaels" experience. Thanks, Diane and Landon: George and Sue Gray.

• Visited September 2011