“Perfect retreat” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Castlegar
Calgary, Canada
“Perfect retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My hubby and I stayed here for a long weekend after a hectic busy schedule and left feeling so relaxed and rejuvenated. Rooms were sweet, everything you need, if not Frank or Deb will get it for you. Our pup just loved running in the huge yard while we relaxed in the gazebo. Lots to do in the area and Frank will get you all set up with everything you need! Look forward to making it an annual trip!

• Stayed September 2012
flamingocastlegar, Owner at Flamingo Motel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thanks for the feedback charmsb. It always more than fun visiting with you guys - such a nice young couple. Feels like family .... :-)
Frank and Debra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

From the first time I stayed there several years back I couldn't believe how fast I was able to relax. It was just like hanging around in my own back yard. I even found my self picking up a hose and watering some flowers, as thats what I do to relax at home. Love sitting in the gazebo in the evenings or one of the many benches scattered about the yard. The rooms are fantastic,always clean and tidy, comfy beds, everything you need. There is always a container of de cafe coffee put out for my wife. Frank and Debra always remember the little things. My wife loves snooping around in Debs quilt shop.
I will never stay at the bigger places in Town again unless I am silly enough NOT to book ahead at the Flamingo. Can't wait for my next holidays.

Room Tip: BOOK ahead for a room here. don't take a chance as they fill up fast.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
flamingocastlegar, Owner at Flamingo Motel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Hi Gary, Thanks for posting such a nice review! We enjoy you and your families visits with us. I look forward to our "meetings" in the Gazebo. Give us lots of notice if can and we'll have your suite ready!
Frank and Debra.
Cranbrook, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

What a great experience! Frank and Deb are fabulous people and make you feel right at home! It is a place that is a home away form home! Clean friendly, affordable! A great place for either business or family. Cozy and quaint, The setting is beautiful and well maintained!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hi Marilyn, It is nice to hear from you! It's been a while. Hows business? Busy "Clowning around"? Thank you very much for taking time to review us. Please stop by for a visit if you are ever even just passing by...
Regards,
Your friends,
Washington State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My oh my, I love the Flamingo Motel. My husband and I were on a road trip and I got to choose the first two stops. I was so excited that my first choice was with Frank and Debra, I wish they were family. I felt welcomed like I was. It was quite apparent that they had high standards when it came to the neet and clean of the rooms and garden areas. I am looking forwrd to another chance to stay at the Flamingo. Enjoy

Room Tip: Be sure to go in the quiltworx
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
flamingocastlegar, Owner at Flamingo Motel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Hi Ali and Mic, Thank you so much for taking the time to review. Debra and I were just reminiscing about the nice visit that we had in the Gazebo . We sure hope that you folks will come and stay with us again.
Warmest Regards,
Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stay frequently at the Flamingo Motel while on business. This past week my husband and I were returning home from a vacation/motorcycle trip to Medicine Hat and decided to stay in Castlegar. My husband loved the setting of the motel and the warm welcome we received. To top it off we had a lovely visit with the owners Debra and Frank in their Gazebo. Perfect ending to a beautiful day on our motorcycle. Look forward to my next visit!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
flamingocastlegar, Owner at Flamingo Motel, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Hi Nolene! Thank you for taking the time to reply. It's always fun to have you here when you stay with us on your business trips. It was fun to have Dale along with you this time! We'll Bbq again next time you are here....
Frank and debra
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We booked three nights at the Flamingo, but left after the first night due to an unusual pet policy. Please ask about this if you are travelling with a pet. To their credit, the owner only charged us for one night, even though we had booked three and it was a long weekend. I discussed our small dog when I booked, but the person who took my reservation did not explain their pet policy. There must be an adult in the room at all times with the pet; which makes going out for dinner or going out to do anything virtually impossible. I would not have booked here if this had been explained to me while I was making my reservation. We did appreciate that we were only charged for the one night. One other problem; the shower temp. varied from freezing cold to scalding hot. Both of us experienced this during our short morning showers. We found the owner to be pleasant and helpful about the area the directions to various places. However, no muffins were ever offered, as had been mentioned in previous reviews.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
flamingocastlegar, Owner at Flamingo Motel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
THERE IS NO NEED to “Ask about our pet policy”. Our Pet Policy is always discussed at the time of reservation or even an inquiry about rates and availability. So Rena, we understand that your Sister made the initial reservation. Sorry, but she may have not passed that along to you.
We then confirm with dog owners at check in to ensure that we have ‘covered all the bases’ and everyone is comfortable. When you were checking in and I confirmed that ‘we ask that you do not leave the dog in the room by itself [or they do not sleep on the beds with the Home Made Quilts]’. Your response was ‘oh, we would NEVER do that, He comes with us wherever we go.’ Pet owners often act a bit insulted that we even mention not leaving their dog by itself - In fact, we have actually learned to approach that subject gingerly so not to offend - for most, it’s a given that they would not leave a family member in a strange place.So I was surprised when you wanted to check out the next morning stating that our dog policy was too restrictive, because you wanted to be able to at least go out for dinner.
We have babysat a dog or two when asked and really enjoy our canine guests. As the sign in our office says “Dogs are people too”.
Every Hotelier has a “Pet Story”. Ours is, we did have one guest about 10 years ago that chose to ignore the pet policy and left her dog in the room by itself. The dog jumped up on the furnace and pushed on the window screen until it nearly escaped. We were able to catch the dog before it got away, tie it up outside by our front door and it was happy to wait there with us for its owner to return. People don’t know what their dog does when they’re not there.
Funny thing, look down 2 reviews below the positive review that you left the other accommodator that you moved to after you left The Flamingo . Notice that the reviewer was distressed that a dog was barking and disturbed her peace. It seems that a pet owner left his pet in a strange room by itself. We would never subject our guests to that sort of unprofessionalism.
Thank you for acknowledging the fact that we did not charge you for the reservation that you made as larger hotel defiantly would have. We were left with a vacant suite for the long weekend after turning others away. This is our lively hood and we work very hard at it.
As for the shower temperature, we have not had anyone mention this in twelve years. After your comment we ran the shower for a considerable amount of time at different times of the day to check this out, but have not found any issues.
We are pleased that you had a nice trip, traveling should be fun, best wishes in your future travels …
Red Deer
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

One of my favourite places worldwide. Always clean and comfortable but Frank and Debra just take hospitality to an unmatched level! Easy access to anything you might need or transit to other destinations. It's the first place I try in Castlegar or if I'm anywhere near.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
flamingocastlegar, Owner at Flamingo Motel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Hi Bill! We sure had yet another nice visit with you again the other night. You're worldly MC travels are alway fascinating to hear about! We look forward to your visits and expect to see you again at least a couple of times this summer.
Ride safe friend.
Frank and Debra,
Flamingo Motel,
Castlegar, BC

Been to Flamingo Motel? Share your experiences!