“Slow service, EXCELLENT food!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 120 Restaurants in Courtenay
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
BC
“Slow service, EXCELLENT food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I just went to Union Street last week for dinner with my bf. Even though it was not full, the service was quite slow... I think maybe they were under staffed..

However, the drinks were great and the food was really good! We had caesars and wine with dinner. The prawn tacos for an appy were awesome! They have a huge gluten free menu, (which is almost everything from their regular menu, but made GF), and I wasn't expecting that! Then we both had the walnut mushroom burger (mine was on a corn tortilla).

We really enjoyed our visit to Union Street, and will definitely go back!

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

victoria
“nice find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

great food. reasonable prices. Seafood was well prepared service was friendly. A good place to bring the kids if you want a grown up meal sans happy meal...

Visited January 2012
Courtenay
“Decent food and service for price point, but a little disappointed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Overall the food satisfied. It was a little slow coming out and could have used some tweaking, but for $7 an app and $20 for an entree they offered great value, I say slow because we waited about 40 minutes between our app and main with over an hour from ordering to entree and a table seated behind us was served before us and left prior to us. This despite our bills being on the table and waiting for 5 - 10 min.

It seemed like they were on a skeleton crew; one server, maybe one cook and a dishwasher in the back and while they weren't busy, 6 tables or so, it was all they could handle at that time without really going under...

For the appy my girl friend and I shared, the Tataki Tuna, which was prepared well, but the fish was may a have been past it's prime or stored incorrectly as it tasted quite fishy. Not what I'd expect from a seaside town...

My entree was a nightly special, the "steak and prawns with a mixed garden green salad", and honestly it was "almost" amazing! The salad was crisp and hearty with beautiful shaved beet and carrot, there was a fantastic yam and sweet potato mash, my steak was cooked exactly how I ordered it and the prawns were prepared perfectly.

This big downer on this whole dish was the "SteakHouse" BBQ sauce the kitchen put on a supposed AAA 6oz serloin :( For a piece of meat, that definitely wasn't AAA, it was prepared well and could have been the perfect centre piece to the dish, but to have a home-style BBQ sauce on it reminiscent of something I can buy in Superstore was extremely disappointing and left me wondering what the chef was trying to hide. I couldn't help, but wonder if the beef may have been stored as poorly as the fish, but it really didn't seem that way. It was tender and nearly exactly rare as ordered, but again the generic BBQ sauce ruined the steak for me. It would have been much better to use a similar seasoning to what they used with the prawns. Just a basic garlic, salt and pepper letting the food and skill of the chef do the rest.

All in all I would certainly go back and again value for price paid it was nearly bang on. They were, however, an inch away from being amazing! I'd love to return to find they stepped up their game a little and I will make a point of it.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful food and service, great variety :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I have just been in to eat at the Union Street Grill with my boyfriend and it was delicious! It took us about a half hour to choose our meals because everything sounded so good, and we were not disappointed. I had this salad with pork, feta and fresh greens (which the very helpful waitress recommended), now I can't wait to go back and try something different! Great food in every variety (including gluten-free) and for great value! The waitress also told us about the Grotto next door which makes sandwiches and wraps and things, sounds good! Thanks!
P.S. Great music!

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Really good food and great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011 via mobile

For my first time at union street grill and grotto it will defiantly won't be my last time!!!
Food was amazing,Coffee's are the best.
And then there were the staff, they were just so helpful and looked after me and my girlfriend.
When I am back out here again on my travels I will be back.