“Got a great upgrade, but almost had to pay for it........” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Old House Village Hotel & Spa

You added Old House Village Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Old House Village Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1730 Riverside Lane, Courtenay, British Columbia V9N 8C7, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Courtenay
Berlin, Germany
“Got a great upgrade, but almost had to pay for it........”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

My husband, my 10 month old daughter and I spend one night at the Old House Village in order to catch the ferry the next morning.
We booked a room with a King Size Bed, and were surprised to receive a suite with full kitchen and seperate bedroom.
Obviously we got a great upgrade, but we almost had to pay for it, because the person upgrading us forgot to change the price. But, fortunately, the problem was solved and we still only had to pay 139 $.

I had the best sleep in our whole 3 week vacaton! The bed was so phenomenal comfortable!! We even overslept a bit, so that we were in a rush to get to the ferry on time.
On half way to the ferry terminal, we dicovered that we forgot our jackets. We had to turn around and had to get back to the room to get them. The staff at the reception was very helpful and fast, since they had to load a new key for us. We eventually made it in time to the ferry.

Unfortunately the restaurant on sight was closed due to renovation, but we had the kitchen so we were able to prepare our dinner.

I can recommend this hotel to anybody who is looking for comfortable accomodation while in Courtenay, especially if one wants to catch the ferry next day. It is just a 15-20 minute drive.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Vancouver Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

The room was spacious, modern, and the bathroom was perfect, with a stand-alone shower, and a soaker tub. Our room faced the road, so no views there, but the rate was very reasonable. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Nanaimo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

I went down for Valentine's weekend with some gals from work--ages 35-45. We booked the 1 bdrm suite (all rooms are suites). When we got there reception was great directed us to our room which was in an adjacent building.

When we entered the room it was stunning, like a chic apartment in Soho. There was a bottle of wine with glasses and a card welcoming us on the counter!

The suite is brand new, very warm and very high end. All the furnishings and art where beautiful and west coast. There was a fireplace a patio and a closed bedroom then the living room with the couch being a pull-out. It had a dining table with 4 chairs and a full kitchen (stainless steel/black appliances). we made a dinner and then went out on the town--it was alot of fun.

I would love to go back and stay longer. This is, the only place to stay in Courtenay in my opinion.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Nanaimo Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

Had a great weekend escape to this hotel & spa, the room was perfect and I booked a full day at the spa which was a wonderful experience, especially the hot stone massage.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Victoria,BC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

Stayed at the Old house while in the area for work. This was my second stay, and I brought my spouse believing we could have a mini-vacation - dinner at the restaurant and a message at the spa. The first disappointment occurred when I attempted to book our message and I was told that the Spa no longer retains a Registered Message Therapist. No message for us. The second disappointment occured when after checking in I asked about making dinner reservations and was told the restaurant was closed for the month. Our room looked over the restaurant and we watched as no less than 10 people, some quite dressed up, attempted to enter the closed restaurant for dinner. My spouse and I walked 5-6 blocks to downtown Courtney to find a good restaurant in cold, windy weather. This meant I could not wear the pretty dress I had brought for dinner, instead I bundled up and wore walking shoes.
Prior to leaving for dinner, we thought we would have a bottle of wine. The wine opener was broken however, and we waited for about 15-20 minutes for a replacement. We had purchased a baguette to enjoy with some hard cheese, and the wine. We were unable to cut either the bread or the cheese with the knives in the room, they had no cutting edge at all, and we were forced to rip the bread and break hunks of cheese off while we waited for the wine opener.
Finally, the sleep quality was horrible. The room maintained a 22 degree temperature. The windows did not open, and we tied the patio door open with a sweater and a shoe for fresh air, but the room maintained it's 22 degrees despite the freezing outside weather. I eventually had to turn on the air conditioning, which blew all night long. In addition, a fan or an engine ran outside our room adjacent to the bed from about midnight to 0700 hours. I felt like I was trying to sleep in the back seat of a small airplane.
When I looked in the room book to locate information on how to hook up to the internet, that section was missing from the book. When I tried to find out about pool hours, that was not listed in the book either. I was not interested in contacting the front desk for either, and thus did not utilize the internet or the pool.
Overall, we should have stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
OHMGR, Manager at Old House Village Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 13, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
Allow me to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. We have approached the owners of the restauant to advise them of the continued traffic to their door and they have placed an ad in the local newspaper alerting the community to the closure. In addition, please know that I have addressed the other comments and issues you wrote of. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

Ms Kerry Pearce
Director of Sales
British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

Had a wonderful weekend away with Hubby. He ran in the Comox Half Marathon, I spent my afternoon at the spa being pampered. Our room was amazing ( King Suite), the bed one of the most comfortable I have ever had the pleasure to sleep on while traveling. We definately will be back for more stays. The staff were great and helpful with any questions we had regarding the area. Well worth the money. Thanks for a great stay!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

Just got home from a fantastic “Girls Weekend” at the Old House and loved every minute of it! Four of us shared a two bedroom suite and had so much space we could have invited a few more girls. Oh Spa was wonderful and looked after our pampering needs including massages and pedicures in those great thrones. The fun continued with dinner at The Old House Restaurant. We are already planning our next getaway to The Old House.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Old House Village Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!