“Second visit - dinner this time” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Courtenay, Vancouver Island, BC
“Second visit - dinner this time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We gave Prime another try after a good experience having lunch in the bistro side about six weeks ago. We had dinner in the dining room last night. The service issues that seemed to have plagued the restaurant for months after opening seem to have been resolved; we were greeted and seated immediately, and our waiter (Brad) had the attentiveness/give-us-space balance about right. He made good wine pairing suggestions with our entrees. We shared the flat bread appie which was just delicious - and for $11.95 it should be! My husband had the blue cheese/green peppercorn sauce steak and it was really flavourful and cooked exactly as ordered. I had the halibut which, frankly, could have used a little jazzing up - it was pretty bland. Veggies were plentiful, al dente and tasty. We shared the crème brulee (and it was plenty big enough for two). With a drink each pre dinner, one 6 ounce glass of wine each with the meal, and a glass of port (2 oz) and glass of late harvest wine (2 oz) with the dessert, the total was $138 pre tip.

The only thing that was kind of weird was, when I made the reservation, I was asked if it was a special occasion and I said it was a birthday. The host said "happy birthday" when we checked in. I'm not sure that was really an important addition!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Prime-Management, Manager at The Prime Chophouse and Wine Bar, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Glad to here you were able to join us again and this time for dinner. Thank you for your continued support of our establishment and for your honest and valuable feedback.

Comox, Canada
“First and Last Time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Food: The Steaks where great...except for the fact they forgot to give us steak knives in a Steak house really? beside the steaks don't expect anything great I had 2 carrots, 1 broccoli and a zucchini, all steamed and plain...no spices over that nothing just tasteless. the mashed potatoes tasted like powder potatoes. The chocolate cake was huge and good!!!

Service: We had Very Poor Service. We asked for 2 wine glasses and she brought a bottle, opened it and served us a glass each and she leaves the bottle there... so when she came back we mention that we only asked for 2 glasses and not the bottle. She told us she couldn't do anything because the bottle was already open. She didn't even say she was sorry and she didn't offer anything to correct her mistake( dessert on the house or even a gift card).
We had to ask for water twice and our empty plates stayed a long time on the table....

Conclusion: The food and service is not up to standards with the building Looks & Feels
If you just want a Steak it is a good restaurant
If you want something more than just a Steak...it is over priced for what you get.

I would describe the restaurant as a Failed attempt of "The Keg"

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Prime-Management, Manager at The Prime Chophouse and Wine Bar, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for your response. The owner has just reviewed your response and is highly concerned about your experience. He would like to speak with you personally and deal with your concerns in person. Regrettably this information was not passed on by the server or it would have been dealt with before you left the restaurant. We truly hope you will call and let us make things right. Please call Kory at 250-871-7292 ext 2
Comox, Canada
“Our First Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We decided to go to this "new to us" restaurant for lunch. In fact, this eatery has only been in operation for about a year. It is very nicely furnished in dark contemporary woodwork with black leather or faux leather upholstery. It has a "sports bar", a regular dining room and a patio. The patio has a heated ceramic floor, a "mod" fireplace, good tables and chairs and, for those cooler days, in addition to the heat from the floor and the fireplace, blankets for over your legs or shoulders are provided. The owner will also be installing overhead heating. We ate in the dining room. My wife had the "Duck Club" sandwich and I had the "Stacked Steak" sandwich. My wife had yam fries with hers and I had regular french fries. The fries, in both cases were excellent. I was very impressed with the two small steaks on the open face "Stacked Steak". They were high quality cuts and perfectly medium cooked. I had expected the usual thin slices of overcooked beef common in so many restaurants as part of a steak sandwich. The service was faultless and cheerful. There was a bottled beer special as well as a draft one. All in all, this is an excellent restaurant providing great value for what was a reasonable cost. My wife and I will recommend this to our friends without hesitation. There was more than adequate off-street parking.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your positive review of our new lunch menu offerings and so happy to hear you both enjoyed your first experience here. Hope to see you again!
Parksville, Canada
“Great meal after a long day on the ferries”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Food was excellent, my fiance indulged in the steak and lobster special, and I had the Ginger Sirloin. Steaks were perfect and portions always exceed expectations. Sampled one of the feature appetizers which was great, but passed on desert (soft ice cream on the ferries).

We've enjoyed the food a few times before, but thought i would share this experience

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Please accept our thanks for taking the time to submit your review and for your continued support of our restaurant. We are delighted that you have chosen us multiple times for your dining destination.
“Great food and service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Best prime rib I've had in awhile. My wife had the pasta and she loved it. Service was exceptional. Atmosphere great. Also has a lounge to catch the hockey game on. In the ladies bathroom there was even a fireplace and TV...no wonder I didn't see my wife for awhile:)

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Great to hear you loved the Prime Rib and your wife enjoyed the washrooms :) I can't blame her, it is beautiful. Thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you again.