Courtenay is located about halfway up Vancouver Island. The island itself is strikingly beautiful; one of the most scenic areas in Canada, if not North America. It features lush wilderness, eagles and deer, ocean views, and breathtaking mountain peaks in the distance. So it came as a disappointment that this Best Western is located in a really unattractive part of town - between two high traffic streets with cars and motorbikes thundering by day and night.
The hotel does, however, offer good value. There is free parking, free internet, free local calls, and a free hot breakfast. That saves you a good $50.00 a day. We stayed in the newer "premier" wing, which had a bewildering level of security. You have to use your card to get into the building, and then ALSO to use the elevator. I felt a bit like James Bond entering a highly secure secret agent facility every time I ventured to our room. The drag is, sometimes you have to swipe the card a few frustrating times to get the elevator going. But hey - no one said being a secret agent is easy.
The room itself was clean, modern, and well-appointed - especially for a Best Western. It had a small fridge and microwave which came in handy. The AC unit was noisy, but aside from that we were quite happy with it. The room also had a bit of that B-Hotel "smell" to it, for a lack of better term. But we just opened the balcony doors, and the fresh Vancouver Island air chased it away.
The hotel staff were both professional, and pleasant. The facility itself is a quirky mix; there is a definite effort to attract business professionals with their "premier wing" and conference room. On the other hand, there's a party-party vibe from their "Flying Canoe" bar and adjoining liquor store. (Our room's phone had a speed dial to the liquor store; never seen that before!) There is also an effort to attract families, with a games room, pool, and "fitness facility" (really a small space with a few old exercise machines.)
Perhaps being a smaller community, the BW here needs to be all-things to all people, but it was kind of confusing.
The hotel was in pretty good condition, except for the area leading to the pool and gym which had old, smelly carpets. The pool itself was dated-looking and had fluorescent lighting. I chose not to use it ... finding my way instead to a beautiful beach in a more bucolic corner of the region.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus The Westerly Hotel And Convention Centre
- Best Western Courtenay
- Courtenay Best Western
- BEST WESTERN PLUS The Westerly Hotel & Convention Centre Courtenay, Vancouver Island, Canada
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Courteany's one and only full service hotel, centrally located, offering convenient access to the City and its many attractions. Featuring 140 guestrooms and suites, inclusive of our Premier Mountainside Wing. On site Restaurant, Pub, Lounge, Liquor Store and Games Room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Best Western and Hotels.com so you can book your BEST WESTERN PLUS The Westerly Hotel & Convention Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.