“Spa was fantastic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa

You added Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   4330 Island Highway South, Courtenay, British Columbia V9N 9R9, Canada   |
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Courtenay
“Spa was fantastic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2005

I've been to this hotel 3 times. Twice in the warmer months for a relaxing spa weekend, and once in winter for a ski vacation over New Year.

The spa is lovely. We were treated well both times by attentive and well trained staff. It was great to take a dip in the warm pool in cold weather.

The restaurant was good and you enjoy a fabulous view from just about anywhere you sit. Fantastic new year celebrations with a generous wine tasting and good service. The food was great - a little on the unimaginitive side. I think because of the buffet style we had when we were there.

On the accommodations - once we were in the ocean view rooms on the 2nd floor (above reception). The rooms there are clean enough, but small, noisy and unremarkable. Hotel cleaning staff seemed always in the way for some reason - very motel like. I'd recommend booking down by the beach in the waterfront rooms. They are more spacious, private, and the view is fantastic. I wish they would stay true to the adult nature of the hotel because I find that having children there take away from being able to unwind.

• Stayed December 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2005

Staying at the Kingfisher was like stepping into another world. From the moment we entered the property a certain stillness filled the air, and the stars twinkled brighter than my eyes have experienced in a long, long time. The morning air felt soft with a touch of light drizzle refreshing the leaves and spriggs of grass, and touching the newly burst petals with a kiss of dew.

My time was short so now I'm longing to return for a spa treatment and a weekend away from the stresses of living. I did take time to enjoy a whole wheat muffin and coffee, stroll down the beach, whisk through the spa building and sit outside under cover long enough to make me not want to leave.

The room was in the older lodge building and was delightful. A jetted tub awaited my arrival and the murphy beds were extremely comfortable. The setting on the water with fabulous views, surrounded by wild life and birds, streams and people that really want to serve your every need make this resort truly a world class experience.

Next time I want to stay on the water so that when I open my door at night overlooking the ocean, I can hear the waves, and awaken to the sound of the eagles.

Stayed May 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2005

The treatments were great, but when I was put in the relaxation area with my robe on, etc. Many staff were going up and down the stairs, apparently trying to attain their cheques. I think the relaxation area is ineffective if people who are not working at that time are meandering about. When I told the staff at the front about this, they seemed indifferent to my comment and I felt bad for saying anything when I left. I would think that these places would welcome feedback; however, I did not get that feeling. The actual treatments and the people who performed them were lovely. It's a beautiful resort and spa, but I think the spa needs more work on representing that beauty, as far as staff and front desk people being more aware and receptive.

Stayed June 2004
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2005

We went to this "spa resort" in 2001 for our wedding anniversary and booked into their Romantic package. When we first arrived we were very happy with our room, it was a nice large room with a king sized bed and a hot tub bathtub right in the room, so you could look out at the ocean from the tub. Very nice.

The first night we had to contend with having a wedding party staying in the room next to us. They were up until about 2 or 3 am, at least 8 or 9 people on their balcony talking and drinking, which even if we closed our sliding glass door, we could hear perfectly well.

Then at 6:30 am, we were woken up by kids playing on the beach. I suppose on the first floor, beneath the "romantic suites" they had family suites or something because there were at least 10 kids running around screaming. Hardly romantic.

Next, we had booked a couples massage for the next day. Which was to be a massage where the both of us were in the same room. We arrived and they wisked us off to two different rooms. When I told her it was a couples massage, she said she didn't have it booked that way, and offered no apology or even asked if we still wanted the massages. I had also specified that I wanted someone who could do "deep tissue massage". What I got was someone tickling my back for an hour, it was TERRIBLE.

The restaurant was mediocre at best.

We were quite dissappointed with the whole experience. The spa services were highly over-priced, asking the same prices or more than what you find at excellent spas in Vancouver. The hotel was over-priced considering the layout and how noisy it was.

I think the bill after the room, and the spa treatments etc was almost $800 CAD -, hardly worth it.

Don't waste your money, their prices are outrageous for what they offer. Go to a good B&B if you want a romantic get-away, and save your money for a good spa.

I did fill out a comments card at the hotel, expressing my disappointment. I later received a coupon in the mail for a free spa treatment. I thought this was a complete joke considering I'd just spent close to a grand in their hotel. They were expecting me to come back and spend another $500 on a room so I could have another terrible spa treatment? ha ha. ya right.

• Stayed June 2001
Oklahoma City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2004

My sister-in-law took me as a treat to the Hydropath tour. This is an experience you simply shouldn't miss on your trip to Vancouver Island. We had such a wonderful time that we were 45 mins late to dinner at the resturaunt. I liked the pool with the mineral salts and rain the best. Do try it!

Victoria, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2004

We booked a two-night stay (Oceanview room) at this resort for late July. It was very hot (about 31 or 32 degrees), and to our complete surprise we discovered our room was NOT Air-conditioned. Needless to say, it was very hot and stuffy, and did not really cool down until about 1:30 AM. As well, there were no screens on the balcony door window, or any window for that matter. The balcony is essentially one long deck that has been divided , into units, with a rail across every six feet. Not much privacy, as you can know see and hear any conversation along the length of the deck. A very disappointing experience, I will not stay here again, nor will I recommend it. The accommodation is not up to par for the price charged.

• Stayed July 2004
port alberni, bc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2004

I had booked a 2 day stay recently in one of the Romance Suites, which included your 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts and the use of the hydropath for the two of us.

The spa experience was wonderful. It is a wonderful facility. That I would rate top notch.

The restaurant service is average. On our first night for dinner we had to wait 25 minutes to get a drink. The next evening the service was much better.

The serving staff on the morning shift, lack enthusiasm and you have to beg for a refill of coffee.

As for the room it was nice with a great view. I did notice that in the bathroom there was rot on the wall in the corner by the shower stall. Very unprofessional. Maid service was average. The conditioner dispenser in the shower stall was empty.
Someone did not do their job.

Overall we were quite disappointed. On a whole I would rate the facililty slightly better than average.
I guess I expected alot more. I understand the facility is for adults. There were many people there with their small children.

Been to Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!