“Beautiful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa

You added Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   4330 Island Highway South, Courtenay, British Columbia V9N 9R9, Canada   |
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Courtenay
British Columbia
“Beautiful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The service at the front desk and spa are excellent and highly personalized. They do everything possible to ensure the stay is ideal. The grounds are lovely - lots of flowers and very well maintained, with driftwood accents throughout. The spa is highly professional and well set up. The restaurant has some great meals (carpaccio, crab, salmon) and some okay (pasta). Service was great most of the time, but inconsistent (seated then ignored for 10 minutes, forgotten drink orders, no follow-up on meal). The room was spotless with attention to detail (good coffee, cream, mini-fridge, corkscrew, etc), but some maintenance is needed - door paint was peeling, unpainted patch in the bathroom, tired looking on the back side). Half the rooms are on the second floor, so stairs are a bit of a pain for lugging stuff. There is less privacy here for two reasons - the balcony/patios are separated by only a cross bar, no plexiglass or plants - and the sound travels. It also gives you/your neighbours access to all the 2nd floor balconies if wished, and you can see right into the neighbouring rooms from your deck. The only window is right next to the bathroom, facing the outdoor walkway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far from the pool and restaurant as possible. Pool and spa are nice, but the beach...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
vancouver,bc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I spent two gloriously relaxing nights here in mid-August. We stayed in the Romance suite, but soon discovered we would have been very comfortable in any room. Although, we did enjoy the amenities of the suite we were in.
The resort is very well kept and although very very nice never feels fussy or overdone. We enjoyed the hydro path and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Our main goal in visiting this resort was to relax and unwind, the ambience and service were very conducive to our goals. We used the pool, hot tub, and sauna several times all of which were scrupulously clean.
We loved the restaurant, the food was fresh and tasty and met our high expectations. We especially enjoyed the chef's Caesar salad (even me, I don't typically like Caesar salad) .
We look forward to returning to this wonderful resaosrt.

Sherwood Park, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Our friends were married and had their reception here last weekend. This is the first time we've been to the area. The location is beautiful - oceanside, quiet, and with lots of trails. There are bicycles for rent at very reasonable prices. Wifi is free. There is a small pool and jetted hot tub. The tub had some problems with the filtration as we pushed all the floating debris into the water intake and all that stuff came back out again into the tub. They have a wide range of rooms from small to large. There is no safe in the room and the balconies of the upper floor rooms are connected so security becomes an issue if you leave your patio door open. Privacy is also minimal as while I was watching TV in bed and my wife had left the drapes open, I was startled to see the neighboring rooms kids looking right at me.

There is no air conditioning so we were very hot the first night even with the windows open. We found out the next day that there was an electric fan in the room closet. We used it the next night and found it comfortable. They really should've told us that when checking in.

Some parts of the hotel have elevator access but some do not. The couple next us us were elderly and had quite a bit of trouble getting up to their 2nd floor room.
The hotel has very pleasant reception staff and the on-site restaurant is pricey but the food there is fantastic. The hotel is quiet at night and we very much enjoyed our stay here. Norm, the shuttle bus driver, is very friendly and helpful. He drove us to and from the airport and was a great source of information about the area, having lived there for 30+ years. The shuttle ride costs $10 per person each way.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Just spent two nights at the Kingfisher. We really enjoyed it. The staff were very accomodating and pleasant throughout. We had a bit of an issue with the room, but the hotel were very happy to change our room so no issue there. The room we had originally affected my allergies a bit, but the next room was great, clean and comfortable.The spa was nice. Did the '10 station' hydratour and my wife had a massage which all was reasonable and very good. Steps to the beach right in front. Had a great dinner in the restaurant. Not excessive price wise for the meal. We thought the service was very good. The only twist to that was the server did not say thank you when dropping the bill at the table (literally a fly by), nor did they say anything when they picked it up. It was surprising how unappreciated this made us feel. They actually were very pleasant the whole meal and put a slight damper on the experience, but not to the extent we would not eat there again.

Room Tip: If you want sun on your room, choose the north wing, second floor would likely get the most and the...
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Kingfisher and spa resort, the website is NOT accurate, to what you are receiving to stay there; The accommodation that is mentioned on website for the room descriptions are deceiving.

Advise: book someplace else.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Comox, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I had bid in a Secret Santa fundraising event in my community for a charity drive earlier in the summer on various things, one of which was a night at the Kingfisher in an Ocean view room....
My friend and I arrived around 9 pm..check in was smooth and pleasant.
At first the room/atmosphere was lovely. We opened the patio doors to get a breeze in the room, we admired the distant ocean view.....we could hear and see the pool and the people swimming...wonderful....
My friend and I, who are, well, middle aged (50)...oh, I will be in trouble for that comment....ha..
had just spent the day shopping in a nearby city, having had a fabulous supper in Qualicum...
we were sitting in our room , watching "What not to wear", talking about the great deals we got earlier...its nearing 10 pm, and a young man appears at the patio doors, he says he has had a noise complaint , we apologized....why I really don't know now...... and closed the patio doors .... continued on watching the show....
Just around 11 pm a staff member (I am assuming) since no notification/identification... had been given, came to the door, my friend answered it......he said he had received ANOTHER noise complaint....OMG...we felt bad.... ( but, why, I think now .....again.....its bizarre... ...We are not deaf, the TV was at a regular volume....but we turned it off......thinking all must surely be fine by now...
We are brushing our teeth and getting ready for bed.... actually , my friend was in the bathroom at the exact time the knock came to the door.
I asked, from my chair, all the way across the room, by the patio doors, in normal tone of voice....."Who is it"....Through the door, and all the way across the whole room we had a conversation...the young man said he had had ANOTHER noise complaint.....I asked him if he had heard any noise or any music ,or ANYTHING ........as he walked all the way to our room's door..he replied "NO MA'AM......" I then asked him.... once again... remember... I am all the way across the room by the patio doors.... why are you here ?? His reply was..."well Ma'am, I had another noise compliant"....,OMG!!!
so, i was scared to go to sleep, knowing I snore, and I have been told that I snore very loudly .........unfortunately... both me and my friend slept very poorly..she was so scared we would be kicked out.......
At 0800....We checked out......and this is the KICKER......as I was checking out, the staff member informed me that there had been noise complaints about our room, (ya, I knew that) and they had to accommodate the guests that had complained..(moved them to another room), supposedly they couldn't sleep all night....
I was so upset by the ridiculousness of this conversation .....I did not know what to say....my friend and I were tucked in bed before midnight.. so the "all night Story"... was fake.....but..... it gets worse....she proceeded to tell me that I should be,and I quote..." HAPPY.."... because I was lucky that I am not being charged for the other people's room transfer.... she said to me...."EVEN THOUGH YOU HAD THE PROMOTIONAL RATE"
Interesting.....I am left to wonder, because I got a really good deal on the rate.....which I did......70$$....remember... its supposed to be a donation for charity......that the the people who complained had more rights than us....What?? Did they just want a better room??
I am not trying to run the place down, because the room/view was very nice....
I just want to warn anyone who may be looking at staying there to think about what they want.... if you are looking for a lovely place, with paper thin walls/doors, go for it...I cannot for the life of me imagine a wedding or celebration there....
And just FYI....my friend and I have traveled for years together, without ever a single complaint....I just don't get it! .....

...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Qualicum Beach, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We love the Spa and pool at Kingfisher! The spa services are excellent and the whole experience is so relaxing. The restaurant is very delicious gourmet and there are many seafood items that are amazingly good! We have stayed over in the past but live close enough for a day spa experience.
Lounging by the pool before or after treatments is so divine in the summer. There is also a small spa menu so you can have some sustenance by the pool if you would like to.
We experienced a facial and a massage by an RMT. Awesome! The wild salmon firecracker entree was to die for as was the seafood chowder. I highly recommend the watermelon mojitos too! Special dressings and sauces are all created by the excellent chef! Kudos to you!
I am ready to plan my next visit already!!!

Room Tip: Some rooms are right on the ocean. The others look out to the lovely gardens.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!